Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Regarding Detroit Electric Street Car Service

Does Anyone Have Maps Regarding the Electric Street Cars that ran in Detroit Through 1900 - 1950. Preferably Maps showing its connection to Michigan Central Station. Maps showing Track layouts, service depots anything will be Great.

http://detroittransithistory.info/DS...rvice-1941.gif

This shows the streetcars as of 1941. Michigan Central shows as a black dot just south of the Michigan Ave. line. The line directly to the depot was reportedly shut down in October of 1938 and replaced with buses.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; September-24-09 at 12:41 PM.

Try these two books there loaded with maps and info.

Detroits Street Railways 1863- 1922 volume 1 By Jack E. Schramm

Detroits Street Railways 1922- 1956 volume 2 By Jack E. Schramm

This is from 1931

This is from Book 3 by the same authors "When Eastern Michigan Rode The Rails"

Default MCS Street Railway Layout

Although this isn't a map, here's a little info on the streetcar rail layout...
    The streetcars entered the Michigan Central Station from Michigan Avenue to south on 14th Street to west on Dalzelle Street along single track to south along one of three loading tracks located at the 15th Street entrance of the station. Leaving the station the cars traveled south on single track to east on Marantette to north on 14th back to Michigan. Only three routes serviced the depot, the Michigan line, the Depot Line [[which connected downtown railroad stations and boat docks from the MC Depot to the Brush St Grand Trunk Depot), and the Michigan Depot branch of the Woodward line.

In a quote from Detroit Street Railways Vol 1 [[pg 117)
    "Cars loaded patrons at the Michigan Central depot on three tracks now the depot parking lot. Track one was used by the Depot Line. Woodward and Michigan cars loaded on the second track, while the third track was used by Flint and Mt. Clemens interurbans, which met the morning trains from the east and south."

It's interesting to note that I was just driving down Franklin next to Franklin Furniture yesterday and spied a railroad rail coming up through the pavement. I wasn't sure if it was streetcar vintage or if it was a freight rail spur, but I see now on that map up there that it was a part of the loop at the end of the Chene line. If you're looking for visible streetcar rail, check out the brick portion of Michigan Ave. between the Lodge and Rosa Parks, and the sweeping curve at Junction and Vernor W.

Shock, Had it right there are plenty of maps in those two books. I belive they might be hard to find or out of print. Wish I would have bought book three when I had the chance.