Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Now back to your regularly scheduled Precincts

From the Detroit News:

Thursday, September 24, 2009
    Detroit Police begin switch to precincts

Detroit -- Police Chief Warren Evans is expected to announce today the conversion of the department's Northwestern District into the 6th and 8th precincts -- the first in a move from districts to precincts citywide.

DPD spokesman John Roach declined Wednesday to reveal details before the 2 p.m. press conference. But he said the switch is part of an "overall effort to improve police response to citizens."

Under former Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick, the city's 12 precincts were consolidated into six districts to cut costs. Proponents of precincts say they allow for more focused patrols and quicker response time.

Didn't there used to be a big 8 ball at some corner in the city, that represented the 8th precinct? Is it still there?

I'm sure there's more than one eight ball in the city.

Sky...yes there was an 8 ball there [[ I went to Redford H.S. across the street basically ). Not sure if it is still there or not, haven't been thru there in a while. That precinct used to be #16, before # 8 I think. I wonder how many of the original precinct buildings are still useable...seems like I read an article about the vancant ones being vandalized [[ # 16 / 8 was one that was mentioned. ). Districts never seemed like a good idea to me....less police presence = more crime in neighborhoods, poor response time, etc

The 4th is gone, the co. that bought it fixed it up real nice. And the old Vernor precinct building, it was either 2 or 3, has been sold or leased to someone. So I guess this neighborhood is stuck with the Central District. But I do have to admit, the response time is getting better and I do see Patrol cars and officers on bikes.

Undoing the work of Kwame's transition team, one decision at a time.

Will they keep the big district office up at Nevada? You know, the one that was several miles away from many of the neighborhoods it was supposed to serve?

The City built that new and slightly forbidding SW District station and consolidated the police with the Junction Fire station. When you go in the Police station the desk is very high up and the police on the desk very easily can pretend they don't see you. And I feel a little like Alice in Wonderland after she drank from the "small" bottle - I have to crane my neck to talk to the officer at the desk! There's prostitutes working in front and I have seen shattered automobile glass in the parking lot - not swept up. How does that make a resident feel about safety?

Meanwhile vandals are in the old, historic fire station. Very, very sad. And now it was pretty much all for naught.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Undoing the work of Kwame's transition team, one decision at a time.

Will they keep the big district office up at Nevada? You know, the one that was several miles away from many of the neighborhoods it was supposed to serve?
    I thought you meant the one in Las Vegas, where half the old cops live.

#5 is gone too, replaced with an immigration center, of all things. So our cops are way the hell up on Gratiot, where they do us little or no good. It was a dumb idea from the start, predicated on the notion that the people of the city would want to save money on cops, and that the crime downturn of the 90s would somehow be permanent. But undoing it is going to be expensive and I can't see how the city has the money to do it.

I think this is where the 8-ball was. Apparently it is no more.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&so...,31.08,,2,5.03

From what I understood on the news last night, they aren't necessarily going to have precinct buildings, but patrol areas only. The same policemen will patrol a much smaller area. I got the feeling that their "offices" will still be in the district buildings. Anybody know if my understanding is correct?

NW has been operating as Precinct 6 and Precinct 8 for about a year, out of the same building. Sure, at times a unit from 6 would get sent up to 8 when they got backed up, and vice versa, but for the most part dispatch tried to keep you in the precinct your scout was assigned. Citizens will still only be served by a single building, located in the midst of over 30 square miles. So tell me, how is "declaring" the district split into precincts even news? They transfered officers into the "new" precinct, so the area will in fact gain some officers it seems. Though where did those officers come from? Other precincts, which were already all short on man power.

In other news, the aviation unit seems to have been short lived, as the homeland security money that was all but given to the city was not accepted, as an are unit was not deemed necessary. Of course not, not in a city where more cars are stolen than any other city in the country. What benefit would an air unit be?

Also gone, the transfers for DDOT security. While millions of federal money was given to the city, in which Wayne County was awarded the contract, once the DPD union fought hard to get those jobs back, transfers were being accepted....and then the DDOT detail was cancelled all together.

Still don't have new cars, still don't have working computers most days, and now there aren't mechanics and technicians to service the ailing fleet, as they were both hit hard with layoffs. The more things change, the more they stay the same. Yet we just continue to do what we do, and manage to get by, but the reasons why officers often leave for the surburbs is quite obvious. Many, like myself, prefer an urban work environment, though there's not a day that passes that we all don't dream of having the equipment and dependability that most any suburb enjoys.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I thought you meant the one in Las Vegas, where half the old cops live.
    Yup, and that's where we're staying!

I'm glad to see this, there was a reason why they broke up the west side in the first place, it was too huge of a precient to begin with. Hopefully they can find a satelite location somewhere back in the Old Redford area and use Plymouth Rd for coordination. When they merged into districts was when a lot of these issues started. I realize they are still down by several hundred officers, but this is a step in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersport View Post
    NW has been operating as Precinct 6 and Precinct 8 for about a year, out of the same building. Sure, at times a unit from 6 would get sent up to 8 when they got backed up, and vice versa, but for the most part dispatch tried to keep you in the precinct your scout was assigned. Citizens will still only be served by a single building, located in the midst of over 30 square miles. So tell me, how is "declaring" the district split into precincts even news?
    It's news because there are some who believe that this will actually improve police services. A lot of people are desperate enough to believe anything.
    In other news, the aviation unit seems to have been short lived, as the homeland security money that was all but given to the city was not accepted, as an are unit was not deemed necessary. Of course not, not in a city where more cars are stolen than any other city in the country. What benefit would an air unit be?
    Ouch! Between Tiger Stadium and DPD, the City of Detroit appears to be turning down federal cash left and right.
    Still don't have new cars, still don't have working computers most days, and now there aren't mechanics and technicians to service the ailing fleet, as they were both hit hard with layoffs. The more things change, the more they stay the same. Yet we just continue to do what we do, and manage to get by, but the reasons why officers often leave for the surburbs is quite obvious. Many, like myself, prefer an urban work environment, though there's not a day that passes that we all don't dream of having the equipment and dependability that most any suburb enjoys.
    What a coincidence! I dream of you having those things, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Yup, and that's where we're staying!
    As long as the city keeps sending pension checks.

Yeah, but none of us are getting rich on those pension checks, believe me.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by skyl4rk View Post
    I think this is where the 8-ball was. Apparently it is no more.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&so...,31.08,,2,5.03
    Look about 30 feet further to the right. It's clearly visible in that street view.

More from Detroitnews.com. Probably a similar story will be printed in tomorrow's print edition:

Thursday, September 24, 2009
    Detroit Police going back to precinct system

Oralandar Brand-Williams / The Detroit News

Detroit -- The city's police department is going back to precinct-style policing, Detroit Police Chief Warren Evans announced today during a news conference at the Northwestern district.

Evans said the 6th and 8th precincts will be the first to go back to the old precinct system.

"We think that going back to precincts will give us a better response time," said Evans. "It's important for the citizens, but it's also important to me as the chief of police."

About 40 community activists and neighborhood block club representatives attended the news conference.

"A community has got to have a home and a precinct is the home," said Evans. "Districts are way too big."

Citizens have been complaining about crime, police response time and a loss of community relations between neighborhoods and police since former Detroit Police Chief Ella Bully-Cummings dismantled the precincts into six districts in 2005 to save money.

Residents such as Gary McElroy, who attended today's news conference, praised Evans' decision to go back to the 13-precinct system of policing.

"This is something that is long overdue," said McElroy at the news conference.

The precinct system is expected to be in place by March, said Evans. Each precinct will have its own commander, investigative staff and community relations staff.

In a case in which the old precinct building was torn down, the police will work out of a building shared between precincts until a new building is established, said Evans.

Today's news brought a huge smile to the face of Deborah Ross.

Ross, the treasurer of the Riverdale Park Association neighborhood association near McNichols and Beaverland, said she was "getting depressed" over the crime and police presence in her area.

"This has lightened my spirits. I really feel empowered," said Ross over Evans' announcement. "The response time will be quicker. We'll feel safer. Just seeing the police makes you feel so much better."

bwilliams@detnews.com [[313) 222-2027
    I think this is a step in the right direction. As for the Precincts in SW Detroit, the 4th [[?) was abandoned [[Fort and Green), then purchased by some group which modernized the inside of the structure and repaired the historic exterior, and excellent example of adaptive use of a historic structure. Whichever one was near Mexicantown east of I-75 was also abandoned and left to the dogs, but there was just an article in Model D about them rehabbing that structure and turning it into an arts center.... and excellent use for such a building. I'm sure one Precinct could remain in the SW Public Safety Center, but they should probably re-establish another area, maybe in the Central/Vernor area?

Stosh Guest

OK, Jcole,or anyone else, can you tell me why there is an 8 Ball there?

I'd like to get one for the front of the Michigan Capitol, also the CAY. And assorted other city halls that shall remain nameless.

I have absolutely no idea. I just found it on google.
    Want to put some things behind the eight ball?

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I have absolutely no idea. I just found it on google.
    Want to put some things behind the eight ball?
    I do. I'd like to find a few. Just for making a statement.

Okay - for all of the folks who are excited about this - I have to ask: what makes you think the change back to precincts will actually improve police services and/or response time?

Apparently it is the near the 16th precinct, not the 8th.

??? What does it mean ???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast