Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Where to go for car stereo installation?

I used to go to Circuit City, and sometimes Best Buy - but never cared for their pricing or service. Another time I went to Car Tunes but their website is horrible, it says nothing about their products or pricing - and I don't have time to waste going to a business that may or may not have what I want. Why have a website if you're not going to use it properly? So I have no interest in going there. Mickey Shorr's website is also woefully lacking in products and pricing.

I want to browse online and decide where I want to go, I don't like to waste time on businesses that aren't represented online. So where else is there in Metro Detroit? Somewhere that sells and installs reasonably priced systems?

You are missing something in your analysis.

Why would you assume that an expert in ONE thing would necessarily be one in ALL?

One of the better car stereo guys I know is out on Gratiot north of Eight Mile...Simon at Audio Trends. Mark's group at Car Tunes are ok, too, but I consider Simon the guy for car audio in town...unless you want to drive up to Rochester.

Why would a business give their competition every piece of their plan with just one click? Especially in a service business where you WANT to look at their installation expertise and general shop cleanliness and organization?!

Nah, get off your butt and check out Simon. My Livonia friend swears by him...and 'Livonia' used to BE the man at Car Tunes on Woodward back in the day. I managed my Livonia friend at the old Birmingham Autosound for a while, too. Back when car audio was about fidelity, before the boomers took over, and everyone started worshiping systems designed by the Marquis de Sade's disciples.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Detwa View Post
    I want to browse online and decide where I want to go, I don't like to waste time on businesses that aren't represented online.
    I encourage you to support those specialty businesses, despite a skimpy online showing. They will definately have a selection, and unlike the big-box stores you mentioned, they specialize in what you're looking for. Who knows, you actually might get a salesperson who knows what they're talking about, instead of someone telling you about their DVD selection and will try to sign you up for an in-house credit card.

If this project is that important to you, it's worth the time to just stop by at a brick & mortar location. Otherwise, if you limit yourself to places with huge budgets that can afford slick web design & e-commerce, you put specialty places out of business and send your money to a corporate headquarters.

Good luck in finding what you're looking for

8 mile and Gratiot sounds doable, I can go there on your recommendation. I just don't like to spend time driving around looking, lol. I'm a huge online shopper, if I'm not ordering then I'm researching so I can just go GET it. I think they could at least put their sales or prices online, that's what stores do all the time with flyers and weekly ads, etc. If you're that good then you won't lose a customer just over price - right?

I do prefer car stereo professionals, rather than the stores that will just install it if you buy it, like Best Buy. You're right that they're not specializing in it, just pretty much following the instructions like I could do myself at home, lol.

Thanks for the advice! I'll be going next week, Gannon, do you want me to tell Simon that you sent me?

My girlfriend just got a CD player installed at Mickey Shorr on Woodward in Ferndale/Royal Oak, I believe. They did a pretty good job with the installation, price was right, and it was pretty quick.

I DO NOT recommend going to Rim City on Michigan Ave in Southwest Detroit. My GF wanted to get a remote start for her car. They ripped her headliner, broke the new CD player faceplate cover and never gave the second remote as stated. I also called twice about tires for my truck, they stated they had them. Went down there, they didn't have them.

-Tahleel