Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default The Book of Detroiters

Yesterday I removed three valves from my radiators in the attic. Though I've lived in my house for over 5 years, I never noticed that the plastic handles atop the valves were stamped "Genuine Detroit," with the underside stating "Detroit Lubricator Company." I found that the company was founded in 1879 by Henry Clay Hodges and his brother Charles C. Clay. I also discovered that Elijah McCoy offered up his expertise to the company. Some additional searching turned up some surprising findings, considering Mr Hodges seems to have layed the groundwork for what is now our neighborhood of Woodbridge. Here is an extract from the site on Mr Hodges:

HODGES, Henry Clay, real estate owner, manufactureer, editor, and publisher; born, South Hero, Grand Isle Co., VT March 2, 1828, son of Nathaniel [[who was in the service of the war of 1812, and grandson of Eziekel Hodges, revolutionary soldier under General Van Rensselaer), and Clarissa [[Phelps) Hodges; educated in public schools of Vermont, spent a portion of hes early manhood in teaching, married at Hastings, Mich., Oct. 10, 1854, Julia, Bidwell, daughter of the lated Judge Horace Bidwell. Became a resident of Detroit, 1863; engaged with his brother Charles C. in life insurance business, under firm name of Hodges Bros., general agents for the Connecticut Mutual Life Insurance Co., for states of Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Minnesota; in 1868 sold their interests in the states of Iowa and Minnesota; to the company; in 1869 the province of Ontario was added to their agency, and was continued until the fall of 1906. In 1872 became interested in the Wyandotte Rolling Mills Co., was vice predident and managing director, and on the death of Capt. E.B. Ward became president; organized, with Capt. Ward and others, the Detroit-Arizona Copper Mining Co., was vice president, and succeeded Capt. Ward as president [[these mines have since become among the largest copper producing mines in the country, and are now owned by Phelps, Dodge & Co.). In 1882, organized with brother Charles C. the Detroit Radiator Co. [[now the American Radiator Co.); bought, in 1872, with brother, atract of about seventy-five acres of the Woodbridge farm, and laid out Lincoln and Trumbull Avenues [[now one of the most beautiful sections of Detroit); was the first one who insituted building restrictions requiring each purchaser to build of brick not less than two stories in height, to sit a uniform distance from the curb. Attended the convention that nominated Lincoln, May 1860; went to convention a strong Seward man, and believed that Abraham Lincoln was the olny man who could have saved this country from destruction. Organized, in 1879, with brother C.C., the Detroit Lubricator Co., one of the largest brass industries in the country, was president until 1906, and is now chairman of the board; half owner of Hodges Building, and has other large realty intrests. Compiler and publisher of the "Science and Key of Life" [[six vols.) ; editor, proprietor, and publisher of the "Stellar Ray", a monthly magazine devoted to scientific and liberal thought propaganda. Was trustee and member of the Unitarian Church for many years. Republican. Ex-member Board of Estimates. Member Board of Commerce. Office: Hodges Bldg. Residence: Witherell Apartments.

The site that I found was perhaps the biggest gem I've found on the internet in a very long time. A who was who in Detroit's history! Here is the site:

http://www.usgennet.org/usa/mi/county/tuscola/det/

Awesome site! This is the son of the family that built the three story brick house that is next to the Bronx Bar.

JOHNSON, Homer, Sturtevant; born, Brooklyn, NY, June 21, 1880; son of Stephen Olin and Lilla [[Sturtevant) Johnson; educated in Detroit School for Boys, and Columbia University. Became connected with the Penberthy Injector Co., manufacturers of the Penberthy Injector, steam specialties and lubricating devices, in 1900; was in manufacturing department, 1900-02, manager Canada plant, at Windsor, 1902-04, elected vice president and secretary of the Detroit company in 1905, and is now manager, manufacturing appliances for feeding boilers. Republican. Unitarian. Member Alpha Delta Phi fraternity, Detroit Board of Commerce. Clubs: Detroit, university, Detroit Boat, Detroit Golf, OD Club, Columbia University Club. Recreations: Outdoor sports [[was member of winning relay team at Columbia University; president freshman class, 1902) Office: Holden Av., and Grand Trunk RR Residence: 56 Rowena St.

Our earlier research indicated the house was built in the 1890s and S. Olin was a corset-maker.

Some info on S. Olin from the National Engineer, 1907.

THE PENBERTHY INJECTOR COMPANY was organized in 1886 The president of the company, Mr S Olin Johnson, was at that time the general manager of the Detroit Knitting & Corset Works located at the corner of Seventh and Abbott Streets, Detroit, Mich.

Hmmm, he built that house on Second not long after that.

More fascinating info about the Penberthy Company, which started in a small room at the Corset Works. The company blew up in November 1901 and then rebuilt at
    Greenwood, Holden and the Grand Trunk Railway. The company prospered and made tank carburetors and ordnance for the War [[WWI) and expanded to a second plant on Goldsmith Avenue. By 1922, S. Olin was president.

From
    The City of Detroit, Michigan, 1701-1922 Vol 1. By Clarence Monroe Burton, William Stocking, Gordon K. Miller pp 601-602

Last edited by gazhekwe; September-23-09 at 12:45 PM.

Did you notice the gap in biographies between TU-WA?

Great site Supersport. I suspect some of our resident DYes historians will really enjoy this.

I'm surprised that many don't know of it, since it's been linked to quite a bit in past threads. Perhaps we need a permanent links page to various Detroit history resources.

Google books also has the complete 2nd edition from 1914:

http://books.google.com/books?id=SRo...age&q=&f=false

If this link doesn't work, search for "the book of Detroiters" using the quotation marks under google books.

I like the idea of a permenant links page.