Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Barbara Rose Collins on Michigan Central Station

Collins has proposed a motion for Emergency Demolition to Michigan Central Station at Moroun's expense. She doesn't want to use stimulus money like Mayor Cockrel proposed. I don't think she acknowledged that the Mayor wants to bill him to recover the cost.

The council did point out that he is a Billionaire and should foot the bill.

The motion just passed.

I see CCK coming to his rescue. MC, BRC, MR vs. CCK......Battle Royale!!!

It appears that this all just election year antics. After seeing state representatives get elected with pretty much having F the Bridge and Matty Maroun as their sole platform. The Mayor by default and BRC are doing the same thing. The City of Detroit has thousands of parcels of land that's not being torn down that's owned by the City. There all just trying to curry favor with the Southwest Side and figure tough talk is easier than turning on the street lights, fixing the streets and providing better police and fire protection.

That being said. That raggedy hunk of junk does need to come down.

I am deeply disturbed by this resolution. While I hope that it will cause Maroun to step in and try to save the building, I doubt that will happen. The only thing that preservationists can try to do is to make a lot of noise, just like we did with the Lafayette building.

Quote Originally Posted by cman710 View Post
    I am deeply disturbed by this resolution. While I hope that it will cause Maroun to step in and try to save the building, I doubt that will happen. The only thing that preservationists can try to do is to make a lot of noise, just like we did with the Lafayette building.
    I don't think the preservationists will realistically rally to save MCS. The Lafayette is a whole 'nother animal - a much, much smaller, better-located and more economically feasible animal.

I think the most outrageous thing out of all of this is Collins calling Moroun a "sweet man." B'scuse me?! This dude sues his own family and, while I can't confirm it, eats small children to stay alive.

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    I don't think the preservationists will realistically rally to save MCS. The Lafayette is a whole 'nother animal - a much, much smaller, better-located and more economically feasible animal.

I think the most outrageous thing out of all of this is Collins calling Moroun a "sweet man." B'scuse me?! This dude sues his own family and, while I can't confirm it, eats small children to stay alive.
    The location of the MCS becomes moot once the Michigan Ave. Line is constructed thus allowing for the MCS to possibly become a hub for long distance passenger rail in the midwest linking with Chicago, Toronto, and points elsewhere.

Attachment 429

This is a blight notice put on an abandoned house right across the street from Brewer Recreation Center. This notice was posted just over one week ago. Somehow the City Inspector managed to leave this powerful, threatening message for this property owner - yet still seemed to overlook the gaping hulk of Brewer right across the road, which is WIDE OPEN.

THIS is the exact law / ordinance etc. that is NOT being used by the City against the millionaire slumlords. It is on the books. USE IT.

I heard BRC being interviewed on WWJ yesterday afternoon. Same interview where she says that Maroun is a sweet man. She also was saying how dangerous MCS is, and that they just found a man 'stuffed into the ice there'. She doesn't even know which dangerous abandoned building they found the dead man in. Maybe they need to have a class in Detroit current events for the council memebers

[ Yes, I know 2 other current treads touch on the depot . . . and post here because it's not about re-use idea or loss=of-landmark lamenting. ]

A fresh post on Detour mag [["Detroit's indie city guide") jabs Matty with sharply pointed sarcasm and a vintage dining room shot of African American staff serving a white family.
    If Matty Moroun were a fictional character, Lillian Hellman would be the author. Or D.W. Griffith.

Crusty, old Grosse Pointe white guy Matty Moroun sure has a lot of African-American politicians working on his plantation. He takes good care of his people and they are like part of the family.

hat’s why the right Reverend Horace Sheffielddefends Moroun at community meetings. Or why Carolyn Cheeks-Kilpatrick will try to scuttle an internationally accepted plan for a new border crossing on Moroun’s behalf. Or why Barbara-Rose Collins, forever worrying about the white man stealing Detroit’s jewels, wants to demolish a former jewel [[the Michigan Central Station) because “sweet man” Moroun let it rot into a Michael Bay set. Oh she’ll send him a bill but he won’t actually have to pay it. Besides, we can always use stimulus funds.

Even if they demolish the MCS let’s hope they leave that underpass known as the rape tunnel. That is a true Detroit landmark.
    Post attributed only to 'Woodward's Friend.'

Even the Detroit News, who has never met a billionaire they didn't like, said that MCS should be on Matty's dime. At least Matty can always buy friends.

The old bat Maroun won't do a thing with this building ever. No one else could afford to renovate it. Tear it down!

Lorax Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    Attachment 429

This is a blight notice put on an abandoned house right across the street from Brewer Recreation Center. This notice was posted just over one week ago. Somehow the City Inspector managed to leave this powerful, threatening message for this property owner - yet still seemed to overlook the gaping hulk of Brewer right across the road, which is WIDE OPEN.

THIS is the exact law / ordinance etc. that is NOT being used by the City against the millionaire slumlords. It is on the books. USE IT.
    Problem is, when you're Matted Moron, the rules don't apply.

Moron's monstrous wealth separates him, like a latter-day barely male Leona Helmsley from the little people who pay taxes and fines, or risk losing their rights as citizens.

He must take comfort in knowing how respected and well-liked he is.

Where's Bernie Madoff when you really need him?