Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Escape from Belle Isle... "My Friends Call me Snake..."

Maybe they should only charge people when they LEAVE Belle Isle...

Quote Originally Posted by izzyindetroit View Post
    The city should find a way to charge people for crossing the city border.
    That's a good idea and charge a fee to enter Belle Island should have been done along time ago to generate money for the cash strapped city. If there were a fee to enter the city, it would provide me with more discouragement to come, but I have no desire although entrance is free. So, they can charge whatever they like, I am for it!

stinkbug Guest

Quote Originally Posted by vetalalumni View Post
    Almost shed a tear while reading this article this morning. Belle Isle has always been a Detroit treasure to me. Not perfect, but that has been part of the appeal.

Rather than questioning Belle Isle [["...maybe it can be again..."), I'd rather hear voices defending it. However, dire circumstances apparently compel.

Are they talking an annual pass, for say $5? Or, pay each visit?
    Bing is so fucking clueless you just want to shake him and shout, "WAKE UP!" He absolutely no understand of the people or the City on a human level. Maybe it can be again? Jesus Christ man, Detroiters need the bus and like Belle Isle. Fucking capice? What an asshole.

While I support some variation of charging to get on the Isle, this isn't going to go over well. The grassroots groups are going to pitch a fit. Bing's idea of grassroots is the DAC though, I think.

Charge only for vehicles on weekends. It becomes a congested, unsafe, unpleasant, polluted clusterfuck of tricked out cars. They can cruise someplace else.
    Pedestrians and cyclists free. Reduced admission for residents with vehicles[[then you have to show a valid driver's license...). Run the fucking bus on it again. Does Bing know that a bus used to go to Belle Isle?

I think that "rank-and-file Detroiters" are not averse to kicking in a couple of bucks to maintain something worthwhile.

I support a motorist fee for Belle Isle. I also support toll roads in Michigan. [[The Detroit News wrote an editorial endorsing tolls on Michigan roads last week.)

I don't think it's that simple to lump this in with the elimination of bus service on the weekend. Going to Belle Isle is a luxury, while transit service is a necessity [[although some people on here refer to it as a luxury). Btw, do they even still have bus service that goes onto the island?

I would pay a vehicle entrance fee [[$1-2 daily, or a reasonable annual pass). I believe pedestrians and bikers should continue to use the park for free.

Am I discriminating? Probably, but let's be real: most of the people who have to be cleaned up after the most [[and kept under the closest eye) come in vehicles. Cyclists and joggers tend not to lug 12-packs, cigarette butts and loud stereos with them. Although hey, you never know

And: this may gently encourage a few more people to walk or bike on the island.

I think Belle Isle is more than just a regular park, and has more upkeep expenses as a result. It's more like a mini city within a city. Not to mention, it's about 1,000 acres in size. What other city-owned park has a marble lighthouse, Coast Guard, museum, a world-class fountain, canals, botanical garden/conservatory, 2 boat clubs, golf course, fishing piers, public beach, [[dormant) Pewabic-encrusted aquarium, nature center, an abundance of public sculpture, all designed by the same guy who designed Central Park in NYC?

Really. It's not worth a buck or two?

Oh, yeah. I may not even be opposed to the fee. But I'm just saying, the millionaire from way out in the sticks really shows he has no clue about the people here.

I'm not opposed to the fee. HCMA charges fees but gets a millage. Oakland County Parks do too, as do most of the State Parks and some NPS parks.

As far as I am concerned we devalue our resources.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Btw, do they even still have bus service that goes onto the island?
    No. It was cut during the last major round of service reductions under Kilpatrick. The Conant bus turns around at Jefferson and the Boulevard now.

I like the idea of charging per auto during peak usage. But Bing already stirred up the transit crowd, this might bring a backlash from motorists, are their more groups of people he can piss off or has he covered everyone? Bicycle License Plate tax? Sidewalk tolls? Common sense would say that you wouldn't start taking an ax to things until after you were done with the election. And no more bus service on the island. Dropped in 2005 or 2006 i think. The 12 Conant use to make a trip around the whole island. Imagine waiting down the route for that bus on a friday or saturday afternoon.

Having a vehicle daily pass/yearly pass would also help police and clean up the island. For instance, any people cited with a ticket such as littering, dui, public intoxication, etc, etc.... could have their vehicle pass revoked for a certain amount of time. License plates could be put on an offenders list and and not be allowed rentry, etc....

While I agree that the taxes residents pay don't seem to be upgrading or even maintaining simple services, I support an entry fee to Belle Isle ONLY IF it directly goes towards the preservation of the Isle and towards the Recreation Dept, not the City General Fund.

Quote Originally Posted by Genesyxx View Post
    While I agree that the taxes residents pay don't seem to be upgrading or even maintaining simple services, I support an entry fee to Belle Isle ONLY IF it directly goes towards the preservation of the Isle and towards the Recreation Dept, not the City General Fund.
    It would need to be a user fee or it would never work.

Goodbye belle isle.

This will certianly clear belle isle out and make it quite desolate.

I know for a fact i will go 80% less than i usually do.

Why not charge for car entry or parking instead? Coming in on pedestrians, bikes, public transit = free

The City of Detroit is broke, heading towards receivership and Bing solutions are those that fall exclusively on those without the resources to even keep up. As long as the Mike Ilitch's of Detroit are enjoying massive tax breaks, tax-free zones and the like, the claims that these steps have to be done to save the city are just proof that when times get tough, it's the little guy who gets the boot on the neck.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    Goodbye belle isle.

This will certianly clear belle isle out and make it quite desolate.

I know for a fact i will go 80% less than i usually do.

Why not charge for car entry or parking instead? Coming in on pedestrians, bikes, public transit = free
    Well Belle Isle is the one area of Detroit that I'm not too worried about people abandoning. Those who want to use it will pay $1 or $2 to go. Those who don't won't. Most motorists will burn a dollar or two in gas just waiting for traffic lights on Jefferson!

When I was working in Toronto, I had to pay $6 to take a short ferry to Toronto Island because they were too cheap to build a bridge and Toronto Island was always packed on the weekends and not much different from Belle Isle,.so quit whinning about paying a $1-$2 bridge toll. The money to maintain it has to come from somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
    When I was working in Toronto, I had to pay $6 to take a short ferry to Toronto Island because they were too cheap to build a bridge and Toronto Island was always packed on the weekends and not much different from Belle Isle,.so quit whinning about paying a $1-$2 bridge toll. The money to maintain it has to come from somewhere.
    I know! Just as long as Ilitch gets his tax breaks and the DDA gets to use money to knock down the city, all is well. We'll pony up and make the difference.

The city should find a way to charge people for crossing the city border.
    they do. i work in detroit and pay detroit city taxes of which ive NEVER gotten my refund for overpayment...

been happening since 1997...

Retroit Guest

Ilitch has contributed a lot to Detroit. Where would Detroit be without Ilitch? Cities have to compete for businesses by providing incentives. Belle Isle doesn't provide revenue to Detroit. There is no benefit to the city to provide incentives to get people to go there. If the people in Detroit can't afford to go to Belle Isle, they can go to a cheaper/free park elsewhere.

Some of you need a lesson on economics. Bing is doing what needs to be done. Figures it would take a businessman [[and superbanite!) to get Detroit back on track.

why not charge people to cruise, smoke crack, and generally be vagrants when they have the entire metro area to do it for free in. preserve the space for people who are willing to pay to enjoy it. the same as other preserved landscapes in the country-state parks and national parks. if there is a lack of funding to keep the place up, then market forces dictate that it become a private entity. and i don't mean the paved belle isle courtsey of the defunct grand prix. i'd rather pay to go to a nice belle isle than have a free belle isle full of crack jobs and fear for my well being. this isn't central park people, and we'll never have a city that can support such a function. think more on the lines of greenfield village-amenities that one pays for-a historic destination for weddings, reunions, bbq's, and recreation. we already have many "beautiful" open spaces in the city to enjoy for free: rouge park, riverwalk, conner creek greenway, dequindre cut, palmer park, gabriel richard, and campus martius. lets be practical-

Back when I was a twenty-something back in the 90's, I remembered when Archer was tossing out the idea of charging a $2 fee to go to Belle Isle. Since I was one of those twenty-somethings who liked going to the Isle and hang out on the strip I was against such an idea to enact a fee to come on Belle Isle.

Well, I'm still young but not twenty-something.... but I am wiser and I would support a fee to enter Belle Isle. The Isle need the additional revenue to maintain its look and beauty. I hope that Mayor Bing will do what is right for the Isle.

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    Ilitch has contributed a lot to Detroit. Where would Detroit be without Ilitch? Cities have to compete for businesses by providing incentives. Belle Isle doesn't provide revenue to Detroit. There is no benefit to the city to provide incentives to get people to go there. If the people in Detroit can't afford to go to Belle Isle, they can go to a cheaper/free park elsewhere.

Some of you need a lesson on economics. Bing is doing what needs to be done. Figures it would take a businessman [[and superbanite!) to get Detroit back on track.

You said: Where would Detroit be without Ilitch? I can answer that for you. The answer is: exactly where is today. You don't think Ilitch was the only millionaire looking to acquire Detroit property. Had it not been him, it would have been someone else.

To charge a fee while it remains a simple "Detroit city park" that is "maintained" by Detroit would be preposterous.

However, if it were first turned over to somebody who would really take care of it and keep it clean, like the Huron-Clinton Metro Authority - well, then, a fee would be worth paying.

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    To charge a fee while it remains a simple "Detroit city park" that is "maintained" by Detroit would be preposterous.

However, if it were first turned over to somebody who would really take care of it and keep it clean, like the Huron-Clinton Metro Authority - well, then, a fee would be worth paying.
    I had to laugh when you said "Detroit city park" I suppose Detroit don't have a good record these days running anything but if the city turned the island over to Huron-Clinton then they would not be able to acquire the fees that the city needs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast