Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Hummer HQ: Detroit or Auburn Hills?

Sichuan Tengzhong will keep Hummer in MI, and it looks like it will be either in Detroit or in Auburn Hills.

I have yet to see any info on overtures by Brooks or Bing to the company. Has anyone heard what these two might offer?

I would be highly surprised if they chose the city of Detroit from what I know. Many if not the vast majority of foreign brands and suppliers have their Detroit offices in Auburn Hills and Troy, and Detroit would have to offer massive incentives to make the costs anywhere near what Auburn Hills can offer without offering anything.

The overtures are just not public - they wouldn't be, these kinds of negotiations mostly happen quietly.

Too bad but you'd think that if they want the young creative class types/want the ability to attract talent from outside the region they'd put their HQ downtown. What young/creative person wants to work in a suburban office park?

Quote Originally Posted by MotownSpartan View Post
    What young/creative person wants to work in a suburban office park?
    Too bad most of us "young creatives" don't have much of a choice.

Hell, Forest Post in Southfield is in a strip mall.

crawford Guest

What young/creative person wants to work in a suburban office park?
    I am 100% certain that most young/creative folks would prefer to work in Oakland County than Detroit.

1. They already live in Oakland County, and will have a much shorter commute

2. Their salary will be higher in Oakland County, and they won't have to pay for crap like parking

3. There is more creative class stuff in Oakland County than in Detroit. Bham, R.O., Ferndale, etc. are generally more appealing places to hang out than downtown Detroit. There are some things downtown, but not nearly as much as along the Woodward Corridor in Oakland County.

4. Not everyone who is young and creative prefers an urban environment. I would guess most prefer a suburban environment, just like the rest of the U.S.

And I'm not even going to address the issue of linking an evil, right-wing old man entity like Hummer to "young creative types".

Quote Originally Posted by crawford View Post
    I am 100% certain that most young/creative folks would prefer to work in Oakland County than Detroit.

2. Their salary will be higher in Oakland County, and they won't have to pay for crap like parking

3. There is more creative class stuff in Oakland County than in Detroit. Bham, R.O., Ferndale, etc. are generally more appealing places to hang out than downtown Detroit. There are some things downtown, but not nearly as much as along the Woodward Corridor in Oakland County.

4. Not everyone who is young and creative prefers an urban environment. I would guess most prefer a suburban environment, just like the rest of the U.S.
    you are comparing apples to oranges

And I'm not even going to address the issue of linking an evil, right-wing old man entity like Hummer to "young creative types".
    Dude, what century do you live in? Prefer to work in Oakland Country than Detroit!! Hello, can you say recession? Lost jobs!! Companies leaving the state!!! Frankly, I doubt ANYONE would care where they work at as long as they have a job.

Glenn Rush Jr., your attempts to pit Oakland County against Detroit is so silly, I'm struggling from laughing myself to death. Oakland County is catching hell just like Detroit. Houses are being lost, jobs are being lost and companies are either closing up shop or leaving the state just like Detroit. Salary will be higher!!! Has Oakland County turned into Silicon Valley? Dude, you're the greatest. Keep up with the postings.

Oh, as for the question of Hummer being either in Detroit or Auburn Hills, two words: WHO CARES

I don't recall Hummer breaking any record profits so if they choose to move to Auburn Hills, I doubt Detroit will crying about them leaving.

To be honest, Oakland County is way more like Silicon Valley than Detroit proper. As someone who has actual experience with VC, tech and the like, the valley is a mostly a big ass industrial park with a few extra trees. If you're looking for a pro-urban environment argument, don't use the valley. It shows you don't have experience with it. Most of those tech companies have huge sprawling campuses built in a college style so big that you need segways to get across them.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalvision View Post
    To be honest, Oakland County is way more like Silicon Valley than Detroit proper. As someone who has actual experience with VC, tech and the like, the valley is a mostly a big ass industrial park with a few extra trees. If you're looking for a pro-urban environment argument, don't use the valley. It shows you don't have experience with it. Most of those tech companies have huge sprawling campuses built in a college style so big that you need segways to get across them.
    Dude, I lived in the Bay. I worked in Silicon Valley. I see you are just as short-sighted as Glenn Rush Jr. so let me help you out.

The Silicon Valley reference went like this: Salary will be higher!!! Has Oakland County turned into Silicon Valley? As you can see, I was referring to the salary comparison that Glenn Rush Jr. mentioned.

So, before you go on a rant on how Oakland County looks like Silicon Valley, please read carefully before you respond. Thank you.

crawford Guest

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    Has Oakland County turned into Silicon Valley? Dude, you're the greatest. Keep up with the postings.
    Um, are you posting from a 1920's timewarp or something?

Yes, obviously Oakland County is very similar to Santa Clara County. You seriously didn't know this?

Both counties have among the highest median incomes in the nation.

Both counties have among the lowest unemployment rates in their respective states.

Both counties have overwhelmingly white-collar workforces.

Both counties have among the highest number of tech employees in the country.

And what does "Glenn Rush mean"? Is that supposed to be some Glen Beck/Rush Limbaugh crack? Like if you live in majority Democrat Oakland County then you must be a right-wing wacko? Really?

Huntington Woods and Pleasant Ridge are right-wing wacko, and church-lady, prayer at City Council meetings, invoking God at every instance Detroit is progressive? LOL!
    Last edited by crawford; September-23-09 at 12:05 PM.

crawford Guest

The Silicon Valley reference went like this: Salary will be higher!!! Has Oakland County turned into Silicon Valley?
    Uh, no, actually salary won't be higher. Oakland County had the highest median salary of any major county in the U.S. until very recently. Yes, higher than any place in CA.

And Oakland County never "turned into" Silicon Valley. Silicon Valley "turned into" Oakland County.

Actually Crawford You're the one living in the time warp. All of your statements should read as Had. As in past tense. No longer applicable. As in "Oakland county had one of the highest median incomes in the country."

There is no way Oakland county will rank near as high as it once did after the way GM, Chrysler and the auto suppliers have all shed engineering, IT and management jobs over the last 2 years.

Yes, obviously Oakland County is very similar to Santa Clara County. You seriously didn't know this?

Both counties have among the lowest unemployment rates in their respective states.

I lived and worked in Santa Clara Co. and the stats you listed come from a time before the financial meltdown. Let's see late 2000, I just moved out there and they were have pink slip parties and lay-off lounges. People were losing their jobs just like now, the dot-com bubble had burst, Indians were leaving their leased automobiles along San Jose International Airport now called Mineta San José International Airport and escaping back to India. Families were leaving the Bay Area for parts unknown. Yes, I know all about working and living in Santa Clara and they paid a hellua lot more than Oakland County. Truth be told, I would love to go back.

And what does "Glenn Rush mean"? Is that supposed to be some Glen Beck/Rush Limbaugh crack? Like if you live in majority Democrat Oakland County then you must be a right-wing wacko? Really?

Huntington Woods and Pleasant Ridge are right-wing wacko, and church-lady, prayer at City Council meetings, invoking God at every instance Detroit is progressive? LOL!
    Glenn Rush Jr. is a mythical creature with two faces sorta like Janus but each face say exactly the same talking points.

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    Actually Crawford You're the one living in the time warp. All of your statements should read as Had. As in past tense. No longer applicable. As in "Oakland county had one of the highest median incomes in the country."

There is no way Oakland county will rank near as high as it once did after the way GM, Chrysler and the auto suppliers have all shed engineering, IT and management jobs over the last 2 years.
    Preach on brother. You have spoken what crawford doesn't want to believe. Now, I like to kid with crawford but the dude act as if this is 1998 or earlier. The money and the businesses is not available like it was in the past. Most of the jobs I had was in Oakland Co. and I don't recall any of them dumping bags of money at me. The pay was no different that I made at the few Detroit jobs I had. Now, when I moved to California, different world and I was getting paid and had benefits.

Too bad but you'd think that if they want the young creative class types/want the ability to attract talent from outside the region they'd put their HQ downtown. What young/creative person wants to work in a suburban office park?
    Why would Hummer want the "young creative class types"? They probably want experienced engineers, marketers and financial types. I don't recall seeing a bike rack full of fixies at GM's Ren Cen HQ.

crawford Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    Not really sure what you're talking about.

Oakland County HAS one of the highest median incomes in the county. HAS, not had.

Oakland County has the third highest per-capita income of counties over one million residents.

1. New York County, NY [[Manhattan)
    2. Fairfax County, VA [[DC suburbs)
    3. Oakland County, MI

crawford Guest

The money and the businesses is not available like it was in the past. Most of the jobs I had was in Oakland Co. and I don't recall any of them dumping bags of money at me. The pay was no different that I made at the few Detroit jobs I had. Now, when I moved to California, different world and I was getting paid and had benefits.
    Aha, so we should ignore U.S. Census data that shows Oakland County has the third highest per-capita income, and just take your word for it because you couldn't get hired in Oakland County?

Aha, so we should ignore U.S. Census data that shows Oakland County has the third highest per-capita income, and just take your word for it because you couldn't get hired in Oakland County?
    I have to let out that inner Ronald Reagan: There you go again.

"couldn't get hired in Oakland County?" You're so funny...

Oakland County HAS one of the highest median incomes in the county. HAS, not had.

Oakland County has the third highest per-capita income of counties over one million residents.

3. Oakland County, MI
    I think your data is obsolete.......

3. Oakland County, MI
    I'm almost certain that is outdated. I don't even think Oakland was in the top 5 the last time I looked at an updated version of that list. After what has gone on over the past year, I'd be a bit surprised if it were still in the top 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    Why would Hummer want the "young creative class types"? They probably want experienced engineers, marketers and financial types. I don't recall seeing a bike rack full of fixies at GM's Ren Cen HQ.
    I think you're confusing hipsters with the young professionals that fill neighbhorhoods and office towers in Chicago, Boston, NYC, SF and many other cities. Many of them are driving their luxury autos to work, not riding fixies.

Put it in Highland Park. OR maybe they can get some excess space from CCS and learn to design a proper car?

I think your data is obsolete.......

This was on the front page of The Detroit News yesterday.

Personal Income erodes in Michigan.
    http://www.detnews.com/article/20090...es-in-Michigan

Michigan has gone from 16th in the nation in 2000 to 35th in 2009. The last 4 years being the worst.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast