Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Selling of Downtown Foodland

Did anyone know that the Downtown Foodland building is up for sale? I hope that a more community/businesslike person would buy the place. I think the other owner was a big joke. Whoever heard of putting the toilets near the hot foods

Near which foods would you prefer the toilets be placed?

Its a shorter walk to keep things warm

Anyone have an update on Harbortown Market? I know they closed for renovations earlier in the summer, just curious to know if they're back up and running yet...

Off topic but should catch your interest:

I work in the Business & Auxiliary Operations as a paid intern at WSU - in this department, one of the details WSU oversees is leasing out their retail spaces on campus. Currently there is a relatively large, brand new retail space at Forest and Woodward, on the bottom floor of the new parking structure - behind Studio One Apartments.

The Associate Vice President of Business & Auxiliary Operations has confirmed with me that there is a Fresh Market moving into the space. I've seen the architectural drawings - there will be a cafe, all fresh foods and possibly a wine bar. It will provide a fantastic Grocery Retail option to the Midtown Neighborhood, and it's in the middle of the action so that you can walk on by on your way to work, school or back home.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko View Post
    Anyone have an update on Harbortown Market? I know they closed for renovations earlier in the summer, just curious to know if they're back up and running yet...
    No its not open yet.
    I was just over there I saw people working on the inside. It was suppose to be open Labor day just when it will open who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    Near which foods would you prefer the toilets be placed?
    It should had been in the back away from the front of the store. Anyone could come in a blow the bathroom out leaving a bad odor throughout the market. Come on now. The owner should had used common sense.

So that's what did them in: bad toilet location. Make sure the DEGC add that to their list of suggestions for new businesses, especially grocery stores!

Sorry stasu1213, how can you resist having fun with comments like this!

I agree with stasu. The restroom was very poorly sited. You really had to see it to believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by dcmorrison12 View Post

I work in the Business & Auxiliary Operations as a paid intern at WSU - in this department, one of the details WSU oversees is leasing out their retail spaces on campus. Currently there is a relatively large, brand new retail space at Forest and Woodward, on the bottom floor of the new parking structure - behind Studio One Apartments.

The Associate Vice President of Business & Auxiliary Operations has confirmed with me that there is a Fresh Market moving into the space. I've seen the architectural drawings - there will be a cafe, all fresh foods and possibly a wine bar. It will provide a fantastic Grocery Retail option to the Midtown Neighborhood, and it's in the middle of the action so that you can walk on by on your way to work, school or back home.
    Great news!!!!!

I just checked out the website and there is no "coming soon" for Detroit. But I will take your word for it, because you sound legit.

http://www.thefreshmarket.com

I can't wait.

Casscorridor:

The reason you didn't see a "coming soon" sign for Detroit is because FreshMarket is not coming to Detroit. It's literally a "Fresh Market" meaning it's a market that will offer fresh food options.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. As of right now, there is no official name for the grocer, but it will be privately owned. The project name for it is "Forest Market"

Casscorridor:

The reason you didn't see a "coming soon" sign for Detroit is because FreshMarket is not coming to Detroit. It's literally a "Fresh Market" meaning it's a market that will offer fresh food options.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. As of right now, there is no official name for the grocer, but it will be privately owned. The project name for it is "Forest Market"

Ahhh. Gotchya. That makes sense. I was very suprised to hear a national grocery store would be coming here. But this is still great nonetheless.

Hopefully it will be a full line grocery store, where one can get everything. Right now all we have is University Food.

Maybe the Eastern Market could use the Downtown Foodland site as an annex and sell fruits, vegtables, and fresh meats and dairy at that store. Get rid of the bathrooms.

croweblack Guest

if it opens spring 2010 I will guess it will be closed by summer 2011
    I was off by a couple of months for zaccaro's[[sp?) but I had thought they would hang on for a couple more months than they did.

cafe,fresh foods and wine bar?---oh sure theat will work.... wait isn't that the same makeup as zaccaro's?

Quote Originally Posted by croweblack View Post
    if it opens spring 2010 I will guess it will be closed by summer 2011
    I was off by a couple of months for zaccaro's[[sp?) but I had thought they would hang on for a couple more months than they did.

cafe,fresh foods and wine bar?---oh sure theat will work.... wait isn't that the same makeup as zaccaro's?
    There were a few problems with Zaccaro's not the least of which was a poor location choice. Zaccaro's was not walkable from any populace neighborhood...

EastSider Guest

Too bad you didn't offer your advice before they opened.

Username: Andylinn
    Post Number: 813
    Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 12:58 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Urbanoutdoors, I stopped by the store today. You're the manager, right?

GREAT JOB! I must commend you. Your place looks GREAT. [[read: REALLY GREAT) thank you so much. Actually, today when I walked in I was saying to my friend "yes yes yes yes this is so f****** amazing" and one of the staff members looked over at me and I felt embarrassed!

Anyway, your place looks great great great! Clean as a whistle. I dropped a little coin. My one request [[I know, everyone has "one" request) would be some more vegetarian products... I bought some of your bocas, but maybe some Tempeh like Birdie above asked for, some Satan, or even better, ! some TVP !

i'm not religious, but if I was id say "god bless you zaccaro's!"

Would this explain the survey letter I received a few days ago regarding a new retail development in the area? I live in Woodbridge, and the letter said the location was within 1 mile.

Still, it would be nice if they would just be able to sell decent groceries at a decent price. The thing the people of this city lack most is the sort of good supermarkets that are taken for granted elsewhere.

Zaccaro's main problem, worse even than not being well-located, was their concentration on high-end goods [[in the middle of the poorest major city in America) at prices that really precluded using them as an every day market. A smattering of gourmet stuff would be welcome and most definitely appreciated, but just plain good produce and meat is what's needed most, and would be a vast improvement over any other store for miles around.

croweblack Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EastSider View Post
    Too bad you didn't offer your advice before they opened.

eastside al---Fanfuckingtastic!!!

that old thread sheds a lot of insight on the absolute lack of understanding and/or knowledge by the hipster doofus crowd of real estate/retail in detroit

thnaks again for the laugh

EastSider Guest

eastside al---Fanfuckingtastic!!!

that old thread sheds a lot of insight on the absolute lack of understanding and/or knowledge by the hipster doofus crowd of real estate/retail in detroit

thnaks again for the laugh
    We do what we can to keep the discussions as honest as possible.

croweblack Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EastSider View Post
    We do what we can to keep the discussions as honest as possible.
    sorry i meant you not eastside al

EastSider Guest

sorry i meant you not eastside al
    We knew who you meant. [[But I wasn't answering for Al.)

So we still have no word on Harbortown market, the downtown foodland was only open for a few weeks, I now have to shop at Trader Joes, Kroger in GP.