Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Having a picinic a top the MCS

I want to take the GF on a date and have a picnic on top of the MCS. Of course it sounds like a bizzare idea, but it is something we will both enjoy. Just looking for some info from people that have been to the top and inside before...mainly where to get in and what to watch for. If this one goes well, its off to the top of the Broderick and UA for a meal and wine too!

Good luck getting people to divulge such info. I think a lot of people on here disapprove of such ventures.

The best way i have found to get in the building is to simply throw a blanket over the razor wire and climb the fence.

Well, at least the asbestos has probably taken care of any pests.

I hear it is chasing away hipsters now, too!

You should have the place to yourselves.

gravitymachine Guest

be sure to bring enough sandwiches for the DPD, homeland security and the railroad police

better get in before the cameras and the new fence get put up

Volunteers just stirred up all the asbestos. Be sure to get cancer checks every year for the rest of your life after you go in. And yes, I know a verrryyy easy way to get in, but I don't think anyone should now, as the DPD are watching it a lot. I'm simply becoming friends with the owners, and they say i'll be allowed in soon when theyre finished cleaning out the asbestos. As for the UA, don't even think about it. There are workers inside cleaning it out now. Either for demolition, or for restoration, hence the giant yellow tube running from top to bottom. Broderick Tower? You're on your own. Watch out for drug dealers.

Haikoont Guest

Bask in the grace and sagacious presence up there, bluebiclighter. Warning: If romantic urges overtake the two of you on the way home from such a magical experience [[and how could love not be in the air?), you may have to make a detour by the old AAA Building.

You'd be better off taking her to Mario's or Roma's.

bluebiclighter, please don't picnic atop MCS!

Not only would it be unlawful, but exposure to the friable asbestos and other significant environmental hazards are not worth the risk. Not to mention structural problems.

Please be safe!

"Unlawful" just adds more zest to the fest.

I strongly advise it. I think it's an awesome sight once you get to the top. It is one of the most surreal views of Detroit. Pictures are a must!

I strongly advise not "throwing a blanket on the razor wire". For one thing, there are easier ways in. In addition, it's freaking razor wire. Don't waste your time or energy. Also, I advise not going at all, because of the increased security presence there.

Also, good luck getting into the UA because you never will, unless you want to crowbar the door and trip the motion-sensor alarms and attract the police.

Also, good luck getting into the Broderick, because ever since it was posted on this forum that there have been people in there, a new door was installed. Let's wait until its restored to check it out.

Also, you're talking about breaking into a building on the Internet. I strongly advise against that the most.
    Last edited by Gsgeorge; September-22-09 at 09:15 PM.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jared9903 View Post
    I'm simply becoming friends with the owners, and they say i'll be allowed in soon when theyre finished cleaning out the asbestos.
    You should get a shirt made that says "Matty Moroun is My Homeboy" so I know who to cockpunch when I see you walking down the street.

last picnic @ MCS was a BBQ and definitely attracted unsavory characters. You feel bad not being able to feed everyone, but there was only enough for those who were there.

If you get up to the roof good luck staying for very long because you'll be spotted and have people waiting on the ground, staying inside sure go for it less likely, great views to be had all around.

But still, no one's called you out on it yet, but you're an idiot. Don't announce your plans on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by mcsdetroitfriend View Post
    But still, no one's called you out on it yet, but you're an idiot. Don't announce your plans on the internet.
    I second this... not a smart move....

What if your GF has to "powder her nose".... not very romantic, now is it?

The way I see it, by dessert time you'll be in the city lockup dancing with someone named Bruno...

... also an FYI [[although I don't believe you've crossed the line)... the planning of illegal trespassing activities on this forum gets you a quick ticket outta here...

People have all sorts of silly ideas...

i concur! =)

Hmm... it's illegal. Make your own decision off that.

Ive often thought about doing the same thing but it never came to fruit.

Best way in as far as I know is under the train viaduct, last week I saw an open loading dock door there. Bring at least two flashlights and make your way to the front of the building. Figuring your way around the place is half the fun. Try and make the date on a full moon, take her to the main entrance way, sit down and turn off the lights and enjoy the serenity. The moonlight coming through the huge windows is pretty kickass not to mention romantic.

Just be careful, you should each have a light and one spare.

Ive never met anyone inside there, the homeless have no reason to be in there unless there just sleeping inside the doorway. If the cops are flashing their lights on the building looking for someone, wait them out as I guarantee there not going in there to look for ya and they will eventually leave, although Ive never had that problem there.

As far as I'm concerned the MCS is a natural resource of Detroit that should be explored and enjoyed just like any park. People fall down elevator shafts and they also get eaten by grizzlies in the woods, just be safe and take precautions.

If my date couldn't 'powder her nose' behind a ghetto palm growing up there, she wouldn't be my date.

Did I mention be careful?

Alright, who's the prankster?

This thread has to be a joke...

This should be a good thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    ... the MCS is a natural resource of Detroit...
    Funny you label it that. Because in a court of law, they would label it "private property".

"As far as I'm concerned" AT, no shit.

Yea, you should probably do it, and then post about it later. Ooops, too late now! Seems like the topic could be worthy of a song though.
    Last edited by RickBeall; September-22-09 at 10:36 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast