Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default MA Supremes Give Cops 15 Days...

...before they need to prove cause for GPS tracking devices implanted in cars.

Leahy said the SJC ruling also means that police must persuade a judge they have probable cause before the GPS devices can be installed. He said that will be a barrier to widespread use by law enforcement.

“It’s good for the public, and it’s good for the rule of law,’’ Leahy said. “I don’t think it is currently a frequent law enforcement tactic. But the important point now is that it is much less likely to become a frequent tactic.’’

I guess that ALL depends upon the ethics and morals of the judge.

Is this part of your overarching conspiracy theory, Gannon, or just a sidebar?

ccbatson Guest

Hey...elganned, that's my line.

Maybe a frequency counter could detect transmission from such a GPS device?

el,

Any additional reach into our personal privacy from the government, especially that coached in double-speak, is most certainly one of my many pet peeves.

It only makes it into the overall observation if it proves out as I suspect it will.

Too many happy people chiming in on how this is good for the citizenry...when all I see are the loopholes for abuse.

It goes back to my lifelong studies on the vagaries of mere human nature...just like bad habits lingering while GOOD ones require attention...the same applies to police and the so-called justice system. There is justice for the rich man in our world, easily and in most courts...for the everymen they must rely on the luck of the draw.

Cheers...

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    el,

Any additional reach into our personal privacy from the government, especially that coached in double-speak, is most certainly one of my many pet peeves.

It only makes it into the overall observation if it proves out as I suspect it will.

Too many happy people chiming in on how this is good for the citizenry...when all I see are the loopholes for abuse.

It goes back to my lifelong studies on the vagaries of mere human nature...just like bad habits lingering while GOOD ones require attention...the same applies to police and the so-called justice system. There is justice for the rich man in our world, easily and in most courts...for the everymen they must rely on the luck of the draw.

Cheers...
    How can you be sure that they are NOT following you right now?
    Reading your every word? Every thought?
    Think about it.
    There's no way for you to truly know what THEY know, do you?
    Obviously it's not an issue, if one has nothing to hide.
    And truly, if they were so concerned about my mundane life, the've got larger issues.
    So let em snoop. Legally or illegally, it's really out of our control, isn't it?

Cheers ! Or maybe not....

The fact is that every cell phone sold today has a GPS chip in it. Uncle Sugar can "reach out and touch" anyone, anytime.

They know who you are, they know where you go. Deal.

Quote Originally Posted by elganned View Post
    The fact is that every cell phone sold today has a GPS chip in it.
    It would be a fun hack to find a way to disable that feature.

ccbatson Guest

That is what you consider fun Jimaz?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    There is a simple hack that solves this problem. Just shut the thing off and pull the battery.

ccbatson Guest

That takes 2 steps...chuck it in a lake.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    That takes 2 steps...chuck it in a lake.
    As long as you don't take yours out of your pocket.

Uncalled for, Stosh. Funny, but uncalled for.

Quote Originally Posted by elganned View Post
    The fact is that every cell phone sold today has a GPS chip in it. Uncle Sugar can "reach out and touch" anyone, anytime.

They know who you are, they know where you go. Deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    No reason to hack it. Just set it for "911 Only". That way it does not transmit GPS data on normal calls. It only sends it on 911 calls. Very useful in cases of accidents where you may not know exactly where you are.

ccbatson Guest

If you really really must disable the GPS in a hurry, just get rid of the phone, or leave it somewhere...you guys are being paranoid.