Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Thai Basil

Default Thai Basil

Anyone know where I can buy fresh Thai basil? I want to cook up some basil fried rice but I'm missing the key ingredient.

Psst... I can tell you where you can get some for free: There's a planter on the side of the Detroit News building near where the smokers hang out that's got a nice healthy Thai basil plant. A few leaves wouldn't be missed.

Oh, Mickey, you're so fine.
    You're so fine you blow my mind.
    Hey, Mickey!

Stosh Guest

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to go to some of the Chinese groceries out in Oakland County. But Produce Palace in Warren [[Dequindre north of 12 mile) has packets of what look to be thai basil. Bigger leaves, not like an Italian Basil. It's what I use to make Thai, a few leaves in the pan to wilt, it's all good.

My backyard.

Quote Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
    Anyone know where I can buy fresh Thai basil? I want to cook up some basil fried rice but I'm missing the key ingredient.
    Have you tried the little Asian market on 3rd just south of Warren? I've never been so I can't say what they have or the quality of it.

Next year buy some plants at Eastern Market. Several growers stock it. I grow many Basils, Thai unfortunately isn't one I grew this year.

Eastern Market has a fair selection of fresh herbs. Westborn on the west [[best) side, and Salvaggio's on the east side also have good selections.

Seems to me that when I have been to Thai restaurants they use just regular basil. I haven't heard of a specific Thai basil. And the Thai recipes I have used just called for "basil". But I am far from a chef.
    One Thai place I went to cooked basil in the stir-fry whole, stem, leaves, flowers all in one piece. Yum!

[QUOTE]Seems to me that when I have been to Thai restaurants they use just regular basil. I haven't heard of a specific Thai basil[/QUOT,E]

I grew about 5 different basils this year, the thai basil is definitely the most pungent. I'm in my garden right now,and just did a taste test. I love the flavor of basil, which explains why I devote so much space in my garden to it.

Quote Originally Posted by jams View Post
    I grew about 5 different basils this year, the thai basil is definitely the most pungent. I'm in my garden right now,and just did a taste test. I love the flavor of basil, which explains why I devote so much space in my garden to it.
    I like to grow a few different kinds of basil on my front porch [[along with all my other herbs), so I can grab a leaf to nibble on every time I walk in or out the front door. Good stuff.

[quote]Seems to me that when I have been to Thai restaurants they use just regular basil. I haven't heard of a specific Thai basil[/QUOT,E]

If it's a Thai restaurant regular basil would be Thai basil, ya think???

do the Mexicans call it a Mexican standoff, or just a standoff???
    "oh we prefer to just call it a standoff!"
    saw that line in a movie it was funny!

I label all my herbs basil, throws off the DEA.