Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default New Arrivees. Please Read this regarding your Privacy.

Welcome to the DetroitYES new forum environment. Unlike the old forum, you account inlcudes a 'profile' that allows you to share your picture and details with other forum member only. If you do not wish to share your profile read this important note.

To insure your privacy and understand how much much you want to reveal about yourself, please view the following.

By default your profile details that you enter at registrations [or afterwards] are visible to other registered members but NEVER to the public. [see example below of a registered member who chooses to display his picture and details]
    Name:  displayed.jpg
Views: 851
Size:  42.5 KB

If you wish to hide your profile follow the instructions in the second image.
    Name:  displayedhidden.jpg
Views: 1059
Size:  62.7 KB
    UPDATES TO THIS TOPIC:
    4/3/9 > Confusing language on Privacy settings rewritten
    See the thread Profile Privacy - Confusing language Clarified
    4/1/9> "Lobo and Bobo - Hide all and Show all"
    Scroll down to read: Choosing what to hide or reveal about yourself
    describes how this works by examples.
    Last edited by Lowell; April-07-09 at 01:19 PM.

lilpup Guest

doesn't want to work that way, or at least for those fields marked required

lilpup Guest

I think I understand my confusion now. When editing the profile it gives an option to view the "About Me" as others would see it. I was thinking this meant all others, not just those I granted access as Contacts of Friends.

Stosh Guest

I attempted to set the settings to hide the info, looks to me as if I can still view it all even in the "as others see it" mode. Can anyone out there take a look at my info and see if this feature is working?

When I click on your name, Stosh, and then 'View Public Profile' all I see is your posting activity, not your email address or any other personal info.

Stosh Guest

Thanks. I was just connfused by the fact that it shows when you look at it within the User CP.

What you see about yourself is more than what other see.

cheddar bob Guest

I was wondering that myself. When I click on my own name, I can see my full real name, but I'm guessing nobody else can.

I have spent a few minutes trying to remove my name also!, I do not see your name cheddar bob

You will always see your own profile but no one else will, other than those groups you allow according to your Display Options [see item 3 in the illustration above]. For instance, if you set those all to Friends and then refused all friend requests, no one at all would see your profile.
    Last edited by Lowell; March-30-09 at 11:00 AM.

Thanks Lowell, I figured that out after a few minutes last night, At first I was caught off guard and being unfamiliar with this format, was feeling uneasy about all the info that appeared by default, or so I thought?
    I'm thinking that when real "New" users join, and see what they think is all their info on display to the forum, In a panic they might delete the account before understanding what is and isn't seen?

otherwise, I think this is going to be great once I learn how it all works!

I am still confused on if or how to condense the threads to see more then just the 2 or 3 last post on my screen? Is changing it to 'tree' the best format for seeing more at a time?
    Last edited by Ragtoplover59; March-13-09 at 10:28 AM. Reason: add

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    What you see about yourself is more than what other see.
    A rather a poetic phrase

Lowell, do you think you could change the settings so that we can display our interests, notable quotable, and geography, e.g., without showing our last name? I like the profile thing, but prefer the semi-anonymity that DYes has traditionally provided. Could you change it so that we can pick and choose what we want to display on a category-by-category basis, e.g. facebook style?

And I too, selected to block all but friends from seeing my about me, but when I click "view profile as others see it" it still displays all my info.

Stosh Guest

Mackinaw, I see nothing of your personal info on your profile, it's just like that for some reason. I can see mine, but others can't. I think it would be a good idea to have all user settings start as a default as just friends viewing.

Thanks for letting me know that, Stosh. i guess that's just a control panel glitch.

It would be great, though, to control what can be see on a line by line basis.

Oh, and let me compliment Lowell on the upgrade. Thanks for your work.

Stosh Guest

I agree with the line by line "About Me" option. Maybe someday, although I'm not sure it is an option.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    Lowell, do you think you could change the settings so that we can display our interests, notable quotable, and geography, e.g., without showing our last name? I like the profile thing, but prefer the semi-anonymity that DYes has traditionally provided. Could you change it so that we can pick and choose what we want to display on a category-by-category basis, e.g. facebook style?

And I too, selected to block all but friends from seeing my about me, but when I click "view profile as others see it" it still displays all my info.
    You don't have to put in your real last name. Believe it or not, Bear Inabox is not the name that appears on my driver's license.

cheddar bob Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    You don't have to put in your real last name. Believe it or not, Bear Inabox is not the name that appears on my driver's license.
    Wow. Worlds are colliding. I'm not sure I can ever trust anyone again.

Quote Originally Posted by cheddar bob View Post
    Wow. Worlds are colliding. I'm not sure I can ever trust anyone again.
    You can trust me. My real name is Crumbled Pavement.

"Lobo and Bobo - Hide all and Show all"
    When choosing what to hide or reveal about yourself you can:

Hide Everything:
    If you don’t anyone to see any of your profile details, do this.

1.Go to: UserCP > Profile Privacy > Display Options.

2.Set all Display Options to “Your Friends”.
    [See illustration in first thread post]

3.After that, only people you friend will be able to see your details. Ergo, if you don’t friend anybody, no one can see anything.

Show Everything:
    If you want other logged in registered members to see all your details, do this:

1.Go to: UserCP > Profile Privacy > Display Options.

2.Set all Display Options to “Everyone”.

3.After that, any logged in registered members* will be able to see your details, picture, album, etc.

Show Something in Between:
    If you want other logged in registered members* to see only some of your details, do this:

1Go to: UserCP > Profile Privacy > Display Options.

2.Set all Display Options to a mix of “Everyone, Registered Members, Contacts or Friends”.

Demonstration:
    To see how this works click up these two test dummies for comparison.

1.Test dummy lobo has all display options set to “Your Friends”.
    You can see none of lobo’s details because you are not lobo’s friend.

2.Test dummy bobo has all display options set to “Registered Members”.
    You can see bobo’s picture and details because you are a registered member.

3.*Log out of your account then enter a discussion thread and click on a member’s name. You are stopped. You are required to login to see what, if anything, that member allows.

Summary:
    1.You must be a logged in as a registered member to see anything about any member.

2.By changing your privacy settings > display options you can show as little or as much about yourself as you wish, including not showing anybody anything.

Finally:
    ·If you are super-super concerned you could always change your details to [shh] phony information.
    Last edited by Lowell; March-31-09 at 12:04 AM.

Stosh Guest

So the default is now all information shown? Should it not be the other way around? I'm seeing lots of people with their info showing, intentional or not. I think that letting people change it later if they want to show their real info would be OK.

Also, can we just make the show pictures check box the default?

I have not found a way to set that yet. It seems to be a vBulletin default without a setting to change it. Annoying. However the only one who can see anything is a logged in registered member. I.E. The general public cannot.

Speaking of which I see you have nicely pimped out your profile! LOL
    Last edited by Lowell; March-31-09 at 02:53 PM.

I am clicking about and seeing that some people filled in their real info and did not edit their privacy settings. I would be more careful if I were you!

Johnlodge - you had the right idea, right off the bat ! There's too many open usernames on this forum. That can cause contact trouble.

I went back and edited my privacy settings, but I haven't had a chance to pimp my profile page yet!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast