Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

blksoul_x Guest

Default Weekend/Sundown retail ought to reflect Black Detroit.

I have to say, spending the past few weekends sampling Detroit's weekend retail and night-life, the Black consumer is well represented. I witnessed clubs/bars with lines wrapped around the corner. I witnessed eateries with a dominate presence of Black African patrons. I witnessed area malls [[specifically Northland, Eastland, and Fairlane), and neighborhood strip stores, with a dominant presence of Black patrons. The point is, Black people continue to support Detroit's customer market, despite our history of economic turmoil in the city. I may not have the exact numbers, however, from a bird's eye view, it would appear that Black Detroit is supporting local businesses.

My question is, [[specifically for weekends and after sun-down) why wouldn't Detroit's leadership or retail development authorities etc., focus on the fact that Black Detroit have historically supported local businesses during non-weekday or non-sporting event times, and ought to be a majority consideration in the re-development of Detroit's downtown area. With what I witnessed in the past few weeks, [[majority Black faces weekend/after sundown in the downtown area etc), it would seem that the strip of Woodward Ave, between I-375 and Jefferson would be loaded with businesses, [[ie; shops, dining, music), catering to Detroit's dominate Black African population. That in itself, would make Detroit the most unique major downtown in amerikkka'.

It's time for Detroit to be what it is, A Black Dominate City, with open arms to all other cultures! If we go that route, Detroit will win in the end!

blksoul_atcha!
    The BJL, we a movement by ourselves!

Uh, I think Detroit's leadership, [[with a black mayor & almost-all black council) and a population over 85% black has your back covered on that one.

In fact, speaking of demographics, I'd be suprised if any demographic that makes up over 85% or the population *wouldn't* be contibuting to the local economy.

What portion of the "black african" market is not being catered to? Seems to me your post simply illustrates the market equilibrium. You claim that you noted stores bustling with activity. Seems to me the market is working as it should.

One question you did not to ask is; why are area malls with" a dominate presence of Black African patrons. [[specifically Northland, Eastland, and Fairlane)" not located within Detroit? Maybe solving that question would enhance your point.

PQZ Guest

1. Eastland, Fairlane and Northalnd are not in Detroit and are in majority white suburbs. So no, patrons there are not supporting Detroit retail.
    2. Nearly 70% of the DDA's small business loans, which covers the downtown geography you mention, go to black business owners. The DDA is investing tens of millions of dollars in to the Paradise Valley project in the former Harmonie Park.

crawford Guest

I have no idea what "sundown" retail means, but if you are referring to nightlife, there does not seem to be a shortage of majority black restaurant and nightlife venues in the metro area.

Woodward downtown isn't really a hyge nightlife corridor outside of a few places by the Fox Theatre and Comerica Park. Given that Comerica Park's attendance is primarily white, it stands to reason that most proximate pre- and post- game revelry would be primarily white.

Not sure why any of this matters though, as if Detroit should be devising new ways to repel potential dollars.

crawford Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PQZ View Post
    1. Eastland, Fairlane and Northalnd are not in Detroit and are in majority white suburbs.
    Well, all three are across the street from almost 100% black neighborhoods in Detroit.

And suburban Northland-area census tracts are almost 100% black.

Eastland-area-census tracts in Harper Woods are probably majority black.

Dearborn has relatively few blacks, so there's no way Fairlane census tracts have a high % AA.
    So no, patrons there are not supporting Detroit retail.

Bsoul might try out the veracity of his theory himself by opening a business catering to his targeted clientele and see if it succeeds or not. Put your money where your mouth is.

I don't get your point. Most things that African Americans buy/use are no different than anyone else.

I can't think of anything at all.

You all notice that he did his usual hit and run and will probably not post on this thread again, right?

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    You all notice that he did his usual hit and run and will probably not post on this thread again, right?
    I think he's only allowed a few minutes a week out of his 1950's time warp.

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    I don't get your point. Most things that African Americans buy/use are no different than anyone else.

I can't think of anything at all.
    Maybe the items in the ethnic hair care aisle.

Quote Originally Posted by crawford View Post
    Dearborn has relatively few blacks, so there's no way Fairlane census tracts have a high % AA.
    Actually, there are more blacks moving into Dearborn recently than you may think. I've seen alot of blacks living in the area of Springwells Park. Also, along Outer Dr between Michigan & the Southfield & the Dearborn-Dearborn Hgts border, I've seen a huge increase in the number of blacks in the area. Although, I think in this area, most are renters rather than home owners.

Typically today there is little reflection of Detroit black businesses especially on the weekend sundown series. Go up to the ghettohoods that I used to live like W. Six Mile Rd. from Livernois Ave. to Grand River Rd. and W. 7 Mile Rd. to Evergreen Rd. or the Avenue of Fashion commerical district and you would see how black businesses for booming. Most of them black folks will be able to shop at Eastland, Northland and Fairlane and even Great Lakes Crossing to but the hip hop materials.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Actually, there are more blacks moving into Dearborn recently than you may think. I've seen alot of blacks living in the area of Springwells Park. Also, along Outer Dr between Michigan & the Southfield & the Dearborn-Dearborn Hgts border, I've seen a huge increase in the number of blacks in the area. Although, I think in this area, most are renters rather than home owners.
    You're absolutely right on your comment. Black folks also filling up their enclave on Ford Rd. and Ford Club Drive at the luxury apartments of Fairlane Meadows just behind the woods; great access to Detroit's Warrendale community, Fairlane Mall and Super Evil Wal-mart Plaza [[ formally the 1st Super K.) will make their shopping dreams come true.

crawford sez..."Eastland-area-census tracts in Harper Woods are probably majority black."

Yes, and the majority white folks who living near the 8 Mile Rd./Vernier Rd. and Kelly Rd. are thinking about now shopping there. However, some white kids do.
    Last edited by Danny; September-21-09 at 12:45 PM.

Are you even responding to the original comment? The comment is not about how blacks do not shop in Detroit, its about why does the City not embrace the expending of the black dollar the way our neighbors are? Why are we ignoring this market and assuming that the City ends at its boundaries when it is easier for someone in EEV to get to the suburbs to spend their money than say to Greenfield/Grand River.

I agree we are too complacent in allowing this shrinkage to happen. These could be generating jobs within the City boundaries much the same way that Mexicantown or Greektown does. We almost seem to care more about serving others than ourselves. This is why its easier to by a taco in Detroit than a pair of underwear.

Retroit Guest

Since when are the opening of businesses dictated by government [[other than basic zoning laws and permits)? If a black entrepreneur wants to open shop on Woodward, who among "Detroit's leadership or retail development authorities" is stopping them?

And another note to the clueless: The leaders of Detroit don't care about you. How much more obvious can they be?

I think you've framed the discussion wrong, Blk_soul, but I'll make some observations.

First, the rents are too high. There's a reason there's such a lack of occupancy along Woodward Ave.

Second, the worker population needs to be higher. Quicken should help...making constructive use of the Hudson and Statler site long-term should help. Downtown workers are diverse, and all sorts of service-type retail should follow them, black or otherwise.

As to your 'where's the black retail?' question, I would posit that Detroit is too large, spread-out, and unconsolidated. You're right, it's hard to find anyplace downtown that looks like 125th St. in Harlem or like Broad-Market Sts. in Newark, near my current residence [[despite being a city with a large poorer-than-average, black population like Detroit, it has a bustling downtown that truly acts as a center-- but only during business hours-- where people go for practical things like apparel, furniture, services like hair/nails, dollar stores, and food, such that there are practically no empty storefronts...when you mix this is in with some of the newer investment geared often to the professional office workers or younger/student population, you have something rather interesting). If you added up all the various strips around Detroit in various neighborhoods and put them in one focused neighborhood or downtown avenue, we would have something like that. I think Newark and Harlem are simply smaller and more consolidated, so their residents look to a central business district as a place to carry on their affairs.

But for black metro-Detroiters, just like everyone in metro Detroit, the fact is that downtown is not a center and most people don't have a strong desire to make it one. Better transit and a continued shift in attitude that makes downtown a place of prominence for many reasons [[and not just sports and the occasional night of drinking/clubbing) should resolve this issue.

crawford Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    I think Newark and Harlem are simply smaller and more consolidated, so their residents look to a central business district as a place to carry on their affairs.
    I don't think 125th St/Harlem and Market St/Newark are remotely related in 2009.

They serve completely different markets, with Harlem filled with Starbucks, Gap, H&M, etc. and Newark filled with "ethnic" non-chain retailers.

Detroit is more similar to Newark, but even then, not really. As you stated, Newark has a bustling retail core. Also, they have a different demographic mix. Newark is about 50-55% black, and Detroit is about 85% black.

Black people are cheap.