Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Trainman Guest

Default Constitutional amendment change that could help pay for DDOT

Since the city of Detroit can not adequately pay for public bus service without continued revenue sharing from federal and state fuel taxes or other methods at this time, I’m interested in what the public and DY’ers think should be done to improve bus service in order to stop the possible bus service cuts in Detroit

Without improving or replacing DDOT, any effort to get or improve bus service in Livonia or anywhere else in Wayne, Oakland and Macomb County will not work to improve our region. This is not my opinion but is a fact. Please challenge, if you disagree with this statement.

What thoughts do you posters have on the following to help prevent the possible bus service cuts that Mr. Bing or others might have to impose in the future? I think we should help the city of Detroit and their leaders.

Extract to change the state constitution

Therefore, it is recommended that we ask our State Legislative delegation to introduce a joint resolution asking the Legislature to place a question on the fall 2006 State-wide ballot, to allow voters to consider a constitutional amendment which would allow metro regions located within the State, no less than one county in size, to authorize a one-half cent sales tax to fund and operate regional rapid transit systems.

While no viable option is in place to fund transit, road funding is also inadequate in our State which features severe winters and heavy truck activity. Therefore, a one-half cent transit sales tax needs to be combined and tie-barred with a one-half cent sales road tax to begin to repair and modernize our infrastructure in a comprehensive fashion.

End of extract

Learn the facts about mass transit funding in Trainman’s save.. under DETROIT LINKS

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Trainman View Post
    Extract to change the state constitution <snip>

Therefore, it is recommended that we ask our State Legislative delegation to introduce a joint resolution asking the Legislature to place a question on the fall 2006 State-wide ballot, to allow voters to consider a constitutional amendment which would allow <snip>
    It truly would be helpful to your quest to update your stuff, wouldn't it? You would think that in order for anyone to take you seriously, you would. But, they haven't taken you seriously in [[at the very least) 3 years, so why start now?
    Last edited by Stosh; September-20-09 at 07:40 PM.

Do you seriously think that voters would approve a constitutional amendment ballot proposal that could result in an 16.6% increase of the sales tax to fund local transit and state roads?

I hope that everyone has some better ideas, short of giving every able-bodied-non-driver a bike voucher.

Trainman Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    It truly would be helpful to your quest to update your stuff, wouldn't it? You would think that in order for anyone to take you seriously, you would. But, they haven't taken you seriously in [[at the very least) 3 years, so why start now?
    Because the August 2010 SMART vote is only a few months away and without a majority vote of NO in three counties, state and federal money will become history for SMART, DDOT and mass transit.

In addition, without your NO vote, you can forget about the bus passengers paying because it won't happen without an honest challenge from those who care such as me.

Trainman Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    Do you seriously think that voters would approve a constitutional amendment ballot proposal that could result in an 16.6% increase of the sales tax to fund local transit and state roads?
    Yes, it is a fact and not my opinion

Michigan is one of the few states that still support public bus service with the state tax on fuel without a sales tax.

Trainman Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    The voters are not necessarily needed to approve of this. Your elected officials only need to support this without your approval. Thus, you may want to know who you are voting for.

That’s basically why among other reasons the DARTA and the Livonia SMART opt out are illegitimate. See my updated website for complete details.