Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Tiger Stadium is gone.

Last edited by FlyByDon; September-20-09 at 04:31 PM.

A truely sad day.

much better ! Anyone placing bets as to how long it will take for something to go there? So let me see the city tears down something that could generate some funds, to a parking lot that will be no doubt trash strewn and over run with weeds. Here is another great site for one of those signs that can be placed in front with a pic and describing what was once there.

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by evelethcdenver View Post
    A truely sad day.
    Yes, and a truly sad day, as well. [Hit the "ABC" button in the upper right-hand corner before posting. ]

I wonder how many burnt out homes could have been torn down for the price of tearing down that stadium. Wake up Detroit Shitty Clown Show! People aren't moving out of the city because of abandoned stadiums.

Thanks for the photos FlybyDon. What a strange looking lot. I hope Detroit does something good with it.

I wonder if they will leave the fence up around the lot once all the debris is hauled away.

Kind of hard to believe. Even with a little bit up the lot looked "filled in". With nothing there, all you see is the sky, billboards, traffic lights, power lines, etc. Still kind of taking in "Detroit without Tiger Stadium".

Don, I can see myself in your shots. I would love to see a blow-up of the very last one... I was hanging out with the group of people in the RV under the tree by the little triangular-shaped building. Watching the Lions & Tigers games at the same time on a TV. Thought I saw a few planes circle over, or maybe just one! Thanks so much for going out there every day and getting them. This is a stunning document of an historic moment.

Mr. Bing,

Tear down that fence!

Return this field to the people.

And for the next generation, the phrase "Michigan and Trumbull" will mean nothing.

I know it's been discussed before, but what happened to the flag? Did they take it to Comerica? Also, what will happen to the flag pole?

Thanks, Don, for your work in keeping us up to date on this tragic story via your great aerial camera work. For transplanted Detroiters like me, we very much appreciate the views.

I'm sure the flag, flagpole and any signifant artifacts went to or will go th the closest friends of the illitches or city council members.....you know, those folks that didn't think the stadium was worth saving. $400,000 for a vacant lot with no prospects! There's a good use of taxpayer dollars. I wonder what the folks are thinking who live in the only house left on a street with burned down buildings which have been on the "list" for razing for years, but have been told it takes $20,000 per house to raze and we just don't have the money!

this image? FlyByDon
    Last edited by FlyByDon; September-22-09 at 05:31 PM.

Thanks for the images. Couldn't bring myself to visit the Corner when in town recently. Prefer the fly-over angle.

Sad to say but one of it's biggest supporters Ernie Harwell will be gone soon too. Not a coincidence I think.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    I wonder if they will leave the fence up around the lot once all the debris is hauled away.
    I don't know what their plans are regarding the fencing but I believe if they take it down, "fans" will start digging out the sod then the exposed dirt of the field to take home and plant in their lawn as an homage to Tiger Stadium and the history of the space it once occupied.

Mallory, I was thinking that same thought....they won't know what Michigan and Trumbull truly means.

Nothing to see here.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByDon View Post
    this image? FlyByDon
    thats us! Thanks Don!

Quote Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
    Yes, and a truly sad day, as well. [Hit the "ABC" button in the upper right-hand corner before posting. ]

I wonder how many burnt out homes could have been torn down for the price of tearing down that stadium. Wake up Detroit Shitty Clown Show! People aren't moving out of the city because of abandoned stadiums.
    ^Agree 100% about how many houses could be torn down instead. That's why I thought it was a huge waste.

Nice video on Freep.com that includes footage of the final piece coming down at 9:24 a.m.

http://freep.com/article/20090921/NE...ium-is-no-more

Excellent video.

Of course, now that Tiger Stadium is down, I'm sure George Jackson will announce his fully-funded plan to do something productive with the site; something that will contribute to the neighborhood and create jobs for Detroiters.

You know, the sort of thing that would've happened if he hadn't been allowed to block the OTSC from proceeding with their plan.

I'm sure he'll present it to us any day now.

I saw my first game there in 1968. Watching the video almost brought tears to my eyes.
    Someday, we will regret demolishing Detroits unique treasures.

Fifty years from no no one will care. Time heals all wounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Fifty years from no no one will care. Time heals all wounds.
    You're probably right Ray. Look at all the other things gone that people don't miss or don't remember, like the Hudson's building. Things fade from memory as time goes on as well. For example, people tell me about the great Christmas displays at the Ford Rotunda building, but they can't tell me where on Rotunda it was located.
    Last edited by jackie5275; September-22-09 at 12:12 PM. Reason: add more thought

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    You're probably right Ray. Look at all the other things gone that people don't miss or don't remember, like the Hudson's building. Things fade from memory as time goes on as well. For example, people tell me about the great Christmas displays at the Ford Rotunda building, but they can't tell me where on Rotunda it was located.
    You can't expect people to miss or remember something that was closed [[Hudson's-'83) or ceased to exist [[Rotunda- '62) before they were born. The Tigers stopped playing there in '99, give it a few more years and those who never saw a game there will out number those who did.

I saw my first game there in 1968. Watching the video almost brought tears to my eyes.
    Someday, we will regret demolishing Detroits unique treasures
    The only thing "unique" about the "treasures" of Detroit is the decades they stand derelict before demolition.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast