Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Joe Louis treasures in a Detroit attic: Mary M. Chapman article

Steering your eyes to this evocative essay in today's NY Times sports section by Detroit writer Mary M. Chapman, a WSU journalism grad and former UPI editor here.

She vividly describes growing up in the five-bedroom French colonial home built by John Roxborough, primary manager of Joe Louis. Catch this:
    I loved to romp in the expansive attic, which overflowed with Louis artifacts. But we didn’t really know who he was, other than that he was famous.

Up there were piles of black-and-white fight stills, and I recall studying Louis’s muscular build and handsome face. Also scattered about were boxing shorts, shoes, gloves and, best of all, perspiration-stained white robes with Brown Bomber emblazoned on back. . . .

We all soon learned how important Louis was. And so one day in 1976 when I was 15, I collected whatever memorabilia we Chapmans had not destroyed, boarded a bus and handed the box to an employee at the Detroit Historical Museum.

Being young and stupid, I demanded no receipt, and I have no idea what happened to the items. The museum displays nothing in our family’s name. I shudder to think how valuable those pieces would be now, but I meant well.
    Again, the link.

I wonder if Mary has actually contacted the Detroit Historical Museum to ask whether the items are still in the collection.

Two years ago, the Museum featured Joe Louis as one of its Fabulous 5: Detroit Sports Legends and so displayed memorabilia associated with the man. Perhaps some of what Mary's family donated were among the displayed items.

Of course, as is the case with most museums, the Detroit Historical Museum has much more in its collections than can possibly be displayed on a permanent basis, or even on a rotating basis, so the vast majority of their collection is in storage with specific items brought out as needed to support exhibits as they change.