Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default A crime story that could be told a million times

It's stupid crime like this that is really going to kill the city because it's going to continue to lose people like this guy who "give a damn." I understand the crooks are just looking to make a buck, but you wish they'd realize the repercussions of their actions [[not that they'd care, of course).

http://www.clickondetroit.com/video/20992546/index.html

I thought Palmer Park had a security company with officers on patrol. If not, it would be a great idea.

How sad for this guy. Having to walk away from a home in an area that he cares about. Walking away from a down payment made and those monthly mortgage payments he has paid for his home. All of it lost.

So the thieves not only got the tires, but they got all of the above from this guy. Very sad.

The City of Detroit better fix this stuff or there won't be anyone left to send tax notices to.

Palmer Park or Palmer Woods? Kinda looked like the University District

Either way, what are the advantages of living here?

Wheel theft is common everywhere. I don't know why dude didn't park his car in his garage after the first time. Two sets of wheels doesn't equal a house. When you take the lug nut cover off, it should interupt a circuit and trip an alarm.

ziggyselbin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Russix View Post
    Wheel theft is common everywhere. I don't know why dude didn't park his car in his garage after the first time. Two sets of wheels doesn't equal a house. When you take the lug nut cover off, it should interupt a circuit and trip an alarm.

I wondered how long it would take to blame the victim

I think it was the straw that broke the camels back... it's getting dangerous now even in the better neighborhoods, which have become targets more as the 'people' that live there are considered to have something to steal, so the criminal mind reasons.... I am sure insurance rates there are thru the roof...... pardon the pun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Russix View Post

A relative of mine had his wheels stolen off his vehicle this summer. But that happened in Canton.Things are getting bad all over.With that said I agree with many of the post.I myself don't want to live in the city the way it is. From what I hear ,see, and read, I couldn't justify the cost.To walk away from good looking house like that. I would have to say that man was at that point where it was his last straw. Good luck to him in his search for a new home.

Ok, I suppose I will be the voice of opposition. First off, I feel bad for the dude because no one wants to be the victim of crime. It is a sick feeling that lingers for days if not weeks. I respect his decision to leave the city. If leaving Detroit is the only recourse then leave. I like other Detroiters who feel as he do can understand when it is time to walk away.

That said, I find this idea of him going to the news to share his story was a cheap stunt to get sympathy. Because the news is willing to report ANYTHING, this would get coverage. Let's see; Detroiter bought home because he loves the city, Detroiter is a victim of theft, Detroiter is ready to leave the city and at a loss. Please, this is the story of thousands of city residents just like him. What is the message here? Detroit is so bad that residents like this fellow who love Detroit is forced to leave because the city is too bad. That story is played on the TV every single day.

As for the guy, who is it say he wasn't going to lose the house anyway. Not to sound cynical, but he decided to put his business out in the open so what if dude's home is in foreclosure and this sob story is an attempt to get the bank to "work" with him? Thanks to the story being given air time on Channel 4, the house was shown and now the bank will have a hard time trying to sell the house. J.M.O.

ziggyselbin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    Ok, I suppose I will be the voice of opposition. First off, I feel bad for the dude because no one wants to be the victim of crime. It is a sick feeling that lingers for days if not weeks. I respect his decision to leave the city. If leaving Detroit is the only recourse then leave. I like other Detroiters who feel as he do can understand when it is time to walk away.

That said, I find this idea of him going to the news to share his story was a cheap stunt to get sympathy. Because the news is willing to report ANYTHING, this would get coverage. Let's see; Detroiter bought home because he loves the city, Detroiter is a victim of theft, Detroiter is ready to leave the city and at a loss. Please, this is the story of thousands of city residents just like him. What is the message here? Detroit is so bad that residents like this fellow who love Detroit is forced to leave because the city is too bad. That story is played on the TV every single day.

As for the guy, who is it say he wasn't going to lose the house anyway. Not to sound cynical, but he decided to put his business out in the open so what if dude's home is in foreclosure and this sob story is an attempt to get the bank to "work" with him? Thanks to the story being given air time on Channel 4, the house was shown and now the bank will have a hard time trying to sell the house. J.M.O.
    I wonder if he contacted the media or if someone else did.Is his house in disclosure? I don't recall seeing that in the video.

I suppose the message is exactly as you put it. Whether that is a story or not is a matter of opinion. In the LA times they are doing a running count of each and every murder in the city. That story happens every day on t.v. as well.

Wheel theft is common everywhere
    Wheel theft CAN happen anywhere. However, it is going to happen in a poor city a hell of a lot more than in some ritzy suburb.

Quote Originally Posted by ziggyselbin View Post
    I wonder if he contacted the media or if someone else did.Is his house in disclosure? I don't recall seeing that in the video.

I suppose the message is exactly as you put it. Whether that is a story or not is a matter of opinion. In the LA times they are doing a running count of each and every murder in the city. That story happens every day on t.v. as well.

You did read where I used the "what if" right?

If someone other than himself called the media then they aren't a friend of his. Some people like myself are private people. I don't think I would want to share how I was robbed on TV unless I may have a ulterior motive to capitalize on my recent misfortune.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Wheel theft CAN happen anywhere. However, it is going to happen in a poor city a hell of a lot more than in some ritzy suburb.
    No, they will simply carjack the person in that ritzy suburb and drive the car to that poor city and then....commit the theft of the wheels.

That's an interesting theory. Yeah, the bank cannot be happy at ALL!
    ...Thanks to the story being given air time on Channel 4, the house was shown and now the bank will have a hard time trying to sell the house. J.M.O.

No, they will simply carjack the person in that ritzy suburb and drive the car to that poor city and then....commit the theft of the wheels.

If it's so easy to "simply carjack the person in that ritzy suburb" than why not "simply carjack the person" in the "poor city" instead of committing "the theft of the wheels" in the "poor city"?

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
    If it's so easy to "simply carjack the person in that ritzy suburb" than why not "simply carjack the person" in the "poor city" instead of committing "the theft of the wheels" in the "poor city"?
    Would you like to re-word your statement?

I can't understand the gist of it. Crime is crime regardless. It does not matter if it done in the poor city or the ritzy suburb. No one wants to be a vitcim of crime.

Quote Originally Posted by ziggyselbin View Post
    I wondered how long it would take to blame the victim
    Personally, I think the guy realizes he made a bad investment. Reality bites, he paid three times more then his house is actually worth now. He just wants out and is using this as an excuse. He didn't sound like an idiot to me during the interview. He knew he was moving into a high crime area or an area surrounded by high crime. What he didn't know was his property value was going to go down the tubes.

Would you like to re-word your statement?

I can't understand the gist of it. Crime is crime regardless. It does not matter if it done in the poor city or the ritzy suburb. No one wants to be a vitcim of crime.

Yes, you're using an apples to oranges comparison. Crime is going to be higher in an area that spends less on policing. Someone rolls tires down the street in a poor area and no one cares because police response times are so long. Contrast. Someone tried to break into my new car last week in the middle of the day with a clothes hanger. They saw my neighbour after he yelled at them and they ran off. I called the cops after my neighbour banged on my door. The police cruiser was here in 2 minutes. How long would it take for a Detroit cruiser to get there? Detroit doesn't spend enough money on policing. Suburbs vs. big city. Apples to oranges comparison.

I don't blame the guy for going on TV.
    No one else cares.

Yes, you're using an apples to oranges comparison. Crime is going to be higher in an area that spends less on policing. Someone rolls tires down the street in a poor area and no one cares because police response times are so long. Contrast. Someone tried to break into my new car last week in the middle of the day with a clothes hanger. They saw my neighbour after he yelled at them and they ran off. I called the cops after my neighbour banged on my door. The police cruiser was here in 2 minutes. How long would it take for a Detroit cruiser to get there? Detroit doesn't spend enough money on policing. Suburbs vs. big city. Apples to oranges comparison.
    No, you are using a apples to oranges comparison. I didn't use the term "poor city, ritzy suburb" you did.

Here is a question. did they catch the perp who tried to break in your car? Since they got there in two minutes surely they caught the punk.

Didn't I say crime is crime, regardless? It does not matter if you are living in a ritzy suburb or a poor city, crime affects everyone the same.

No, you are using a apples to oranges comparison. I didn't use the term "poor city, ritzy suburb" you did.
    Yes, you said "ritzy suburb" and "poor city". The implication of saying driving a car to the poor city in this context is that you are using it as a comparison. Detroit's problem is not enough money is spent on policing, which isn't the case in the suburbs.

And, no, they didn't catch the perps yet. But, aside from obvious scratches from the attempt, I still have my car and my wheels. And, btw, I live in a older working class suburb that doesn't have a lot of ritzy houses like Palmer Park and still have a 2 minute response time. What's the response time in Palmer Park?

Yes, you said "ritzy suburb" and "poor city". The implication of saying driving a car to the poor city in this context is that you are using it as a comparison. Detroit's problem is not enough money is spent on policing, which isn't the case in the suburbs.

And, no, they didn't catch the perps yet. But, aside from obvious scratches from the attempt, I still have my car and my wheels. And, btw, I live in a older working class suburb that doesn't have a lot of ritzy houses like Palmer Park and still have a 2 minute response time. What's the response time in Palmer Park?
    First, I did not use the words, the poster Patrick was the one who used the terms.

I simply took his words and attempted to point out that criminals wil circumvent to get what they want regardless if if done in a poor city or ritzy suburb.

You wanted to jump in with your opinion.

Which I couldn't understand because if you had read my comment, you would notice that I was saying that crime has no borders.

Cause the chances of the driver having a gun are much higher in the 'poor city" over the "ritzy suburb".

You only still have your car because your neighbor yelled, not because of police response times.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast