Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I have been reading the posts and am glad to hear you are enjoying your stay in Detroit. You mentioned Woodward Ave and as I sat to read my Sunday paper [[The Oakland Press) found the front page article was in relation to Woodward being named an All-American Road. Thought it might be of interest to you

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/artic...f861484998.txt

Hope you continue to have a great time in Detroit and nearby areas. Someone had mentioned Frankenmuth as a side adventure and although it is a bit of a drive [[probably 1 1/2 to 2 hours) it is certainly worth it.

Again it has been great to read about your trip, thanks for keeping us updated
    BTW I love Buddy's, great choice

Quote Originally Posted by GRALR View Post
    Sumas, I was just going to update you all! My wife is from Scotland and I was born in Los Angeles.

We have been super busy and have loved every minute of it. One of the DY members here had a driveway for our RV which has made it great to see all in town. And another DY member has taken a great amount of time to show us some great sites we would have otherwise not been able to see.

We arrived on Wed to the forum gathering and met several wonderful people. We were so delighted to find like minded people. We shared a love of Detroit, history, architecture, theaters, cars and so many other things. The food, drink and atmosphere at the Detroit Brewing Co started off our visit so well! Thanks Kathleen for organizing it!

This is so pleasant to read. With assitance from people involved in DYes your visit has been enhanced in a way it could not have otherwise. This kind of cooperation inspires and energizes. So glad you were able to park the RV. Tooling around in the RV would have been cumbersome.

I have to say I had a ball with Richard and Lorna.I tour alot of people but this was the most fun!They have a love of history and hope for the future that is refreshing.I enjoyed it as much if not more than they did.I hope to catch up with them again before I leave. Dave

Sunday was kind of a sleep in slow day. We just slept in. Then we drove to eastern market and had Gumbo and southern food for brunch! After that we did more driving north of the market. We drove past St Alphonse, and the other church a few miles to the north near Fisher 21. The city certainly has some of the finest buildings of worship anywhere. I am told that the Detroit museum has tours that last years of these edifices. I can see why! One can only imagine the neighborhoods that were thriving to support these testaments of faith. Now they are reminders of a different Detroit.

We are totally amazed at the scale of destruction. It is staggering to drive as much as we have and feel it is almost endless. Miles and miles of what appears to be hopelessness. I can't imagine what it would be like to live in these neighborhoods. Seeing the destruction, wondering if your home will be next, wondering if you will be the next victim of needless crime, knowing that if you call the police there will be the echo of your voice like calling into an empty cave.

My wife constantly comments on the lone home in a neighborhood that is as she says neat and tidy. The lone bright star of a person who still has a little hope, of one who still cares. One has to wonder when that person will let his light out and be over come. It is kind of like keeping the lights on in the Titanic as she is sinking.
    I guess the whole city is a little like the Titanic in some ways. There is so much beauty that is heading for the bottom of the ocean unless some dramatic action is taken. The captains that have headed the city for years seem to have really not cared for whatever reasons and now look what has happened.

Oh well I digress, sorry. Next it was the Freer home tour. What impressed me was the street scene. Looking at the quality of the remaining homes only made me think of what it must have been like to live in Detroit during its many heydays. In my mind I imagined miles and miles of substantial mansions and an age of hope that must have been. I can piece together an image of Detroit, based upon the existing buildings, of a once vibrant proud city. Still I digress, but let me tie it in.

The Freer home was no exception. One can feel the optimism here too. His art collection, and his eye for beauty was evident in the home and in his choice of art. He built a beautiful and really progressive home to express himself. The shingle style of architecture was really very progressive for the day. The blend of stones and wood really reminds me of the Craftsman- arts and crafts movement which really did not make a solid appearance until the next century, 15 years later. The interior also was very progressive for it's time. It was a blend of Victorian, using quarter-sawn oak for woodwork, and really pre-craftsman ideas for seating areas in the living room. I do not know the history of the home as I did not take any tours I just observed the home. It was built in 1890 and the additions were around 1904 I believe.

The peacock room must have been phenomenal in the setting he built for it. Today the room which is in a separate yet connected annex bears no resemblance the the interior it once housed.

I truly enjoyed this event and have Kathleen to thank for it! She has a email list of all the things there are to do in the city and this was included! Get her list and go enjoy all the area has to offer!

Today, Monday was just a simple your of Downtown. I went to the Penobscot, Guradian and Fort Shelby Hotel, plus walked a great deal of the city. I watched the filming of Red Dawn and the police scene behind the Cadillac. Truly a walk downtown is a breathtaking sight with so many wonderful buildings. The skyline is truly spectacular with my favorite building the being the Book. I can only hope it is somewhat intact inside and someone does not get a bee to tear it down. I am of course not dismissing the Book Cadillac, or the Guardian as truly great buildings, but the book is over the top!

We had Slows BBQ for lunch which was ok, and Sala Thai which was fantastic! We also fell in love with Dutch Girl donuts !

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3