Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The Best Places For Illegial Drug Buys?

Seems like I keep reading about the Joy & Evergreen areas as the friendly [[NOT!) place for surburbia drug buys. Definitely one of the "hot spot" for robberies, territorial shootings, murders and such. Are the Detroit cops just basically looking the other way, shaking their heads and wishing them luck as the cross the Detroit border back into the burbs?

From what I hear it's pretty much a war zone in that [[and surrounding) areas. What's the solution? Let it be? [[how else are the babies gonna get milk money). the National Guard?

A 40-year-old from Livonia and a 37-year-old from South Lyon were shot after an argument developed over an alleged drug transaction. [[Unfortunately I know who the Livonia man is in this particular case)
    http://spotcrime.com/crime/5945102-d...1df33db1d20136

Thoughts? Comments?

crawford Guest

What about 7 Mile/Hayes?

I think that's the scariest intersection in the city.

It's also in the highest crime police precient in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by MizMotown View Post
    Seems like I keep reading about the Joy & Evergreen areas as the friendly [[NOT!) place for surburbia drug buys. Definitely one of the "hot spot" for robberies, territorial shootings, murders and such. Are the Detroit cops just basically looking the other way, shaking their heads and wishing them luck as the cross the Detroit border back into the burbs?

From what I hear it's pretty much a war zone in that [[and surrounding) areas. What's the solution? Let it be? [[how else are the babies gonna get milk money). the National Guard?

A 40-year-old from Livonia and a 37-year-old from South Lyon were shot after an argument developed over an alleged drug transaction. [[Unfortunately I know who the Livonia man is in this particular case)
    http://spotcrime.com/crime/5945102-d...1df33db1d20136

Thoughts? Comments?
    My thought are that I feel no sympathy for anyone that gets shot while buying or selling drugs illegally. While I think we should consider legalization of some drugs the simple fact of the matter is that anyone selling or buying drugs contributes heavily to the issues of the city.

The only difference I see if people that live in the city are fools for doing this to/in their own neighborhoods. People that come from elsewhere probably assume they can use Detroit to get their drugs then ignore the issues that they contribute to the city.

I say fuck these two and the others that get shot dealing or buying. There will not be one tear shed for these two or anyone else this happens to regardless where they live.

Quote Originally Posted by crawford View Post
    What about 7 Mile/Hayes?

I think that's the scariest intersection in the city.

It's also in the highest crime police precient in the city.
    We used to sleep out on porches and in back yards, a block from 7 Mile/Hayes. Didn't even lock the doors. Never had a burglary or stolen car!

To answer the question:
    Virtually any retail drug store or "clinic" in the city

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    We used to sleep out on porches and in back yards, a block from 7 Mile/Hayes. Didn't even lock the doors. Never had a burglary or stolen car!
    Agreed. I grew up on Novara and used to walk or ride my bike to the Onassis Coney Island at 7/ Hayes and never encountered so much as a rat running around.

Its such a sad sight to see the old hood in the current light.

White guys driving pick up trucks with Red Wing stickers in many "out of the way" sections of the city are profiled by DPD as suburban drug seekers. Follow one of them into Blightmore and you might find what you're looking for. Or, drive down a street in a seedy section of town and pretend you are lost and someone will yell something into your open car window, often a potential solicit. Unfortunately, it's not that rare, [[happened to me last week driving to a client on Plainview in Minock Park), but it's definitely not all 382 sq. miles of the city.

And why is it that the Nat'l Guard always comes up as a solution? If anyone knows any history about this town, it is that the National Guard is not welcome. Anything remotely resembling martial law or a military state in this city will be met with heavy resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    And why is it that the Nat'l Guard always comes up as a solution? If anyone knows any history about this town, it is that the National Guard is not welcome. Anything remotely resembling martial law or a military state in this city will be met with heavy resistance.
    Why not use the National Guard. We could call the operation: Safe Streets By Any Means Necessary, a.k.a. S.S. BAMN.

Blarf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MizMotown View Post

Legalize the shit and let adults choose what they want to put into their body. Prohibition didn't work in the 1920's, and it doesn't work now.

Unfortunately, it's not that rare, [[happened to me last week driving to a client on Plainview in Minock Park), but it's definitely not all 382 sq. miles of the city.
    Detroit is about 140 square miles, not 382 miles. But your point is correct, that in many areas of the city, you will not be solicited for drug buys.

On Google street view, Evergreen south of Joy seems to be reasonably nice [[no abandoned houses for a block and a half or so). Has it gone downhill a great deal in the past few years?

White guys driving pick up trucks with Red Wing stickers in many "out of the way" sections of the city are profiled by DPD as suburban drug seekers. Follow one of them into Blightmore and you might find what you're looking for. Or, drive down a street in a seedy section of town and pretend you are lost and someone will yell something into your open car window, often a potential solicit. Unfortunately, it's not that rare, [[happened to me last week driving to a client on Plainview in Minock Park), but it's definitely not all 382 sq. miles of the city.

Even Minock Park! Wow.

I'd venture a guess that East State Fair is still rockin crime of all types.

Quote Originally Posted by furnitureguy View Post
    The national guard is the only way this city of animals could be tamed down. Name a better organization?
    Detroit Public Schools

The 'hoods between State Fair and 8 Mile, just east and west of I-75, are noted for drug buys by suburban visitors.

Haikoont Guest

Paging The Beavis...

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Agreed. I grew up on Novara and used to walk or ride my bike to the Onassis Coney Island at 7/ Hayes and never encountered so much as a rat running around.

Its such a sad sight to see the old hood in the current light.
    Those were the days, my friend.

I grew up on Eastwood, where everyone knew everyone, and every kid's mom or dad had authority over every kid in their sight.

I walked or rode my bike north and south of 7 Mile and east and west of Hayes, all the time, without fear.

Unfortunately, the only thing visible in the "current light" over there now is a war zone.

crawford Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cman710 View Post
    On Google street view, Evergreen south of Joy seems to be reasonably nice [[no abandoned houses for a block and a half or so). Has it gone downhill a great deal in the past few years?
    I think we are talking about two different things.

If there were tons of abandoned homes, it wouldn't be a big drug location.

Drug locations tend to be where people still occupy homes.

7/Hayes and Joy/Evergreen are largely occupied, and are [[not surprisingly) among the most violent and drug-infested parts of the city. It doesn't get more dangerous than 7/Gratiot or 7/Hayes, at least in terms of frequency of police calls.

Bombed-out areas like Blightmore and Brush Park are not really that dangerous, and do not get tons of police calls. Almost no one lives there.

Quote Originally Posted by crawford View Post
    I think we are talking about two different things.

If there were tons of abandoned homes, it wouldn't be a big drug location.

Drug locations tend to be where people still occupy homes.

7/Hayes and Joy/Evergreen are largely occupied, and are [[not surprisingly) among the most violent and drug-infested parts of the city. It doesn't get more dangerous than 7/Gratiot or 7/Hayes, at least in terms of frequency of police calls.

Bombed-out areas like Blightmore and Brush Park are not really that dangerous, and do not get tons of police calls. Almost no one lives there.
    Exactly right. Desolation doesn't equal dangerous, yet folks who aren't used to traveling through urban areas do tend to think so.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    My thought are that I feel no sympathy for anyone that gets shot while buying or selling drugs illegally. While I think we should consider legalization of some drugs the simple fact of the matter is that anyone selling or buying drugs contributes heavily to the issues of the city.

The only difference I see if people that live in the city are fools for doing this to/in their own neighborhoods. People that come from elsewhere probably assume they can use Detroit to get their drugs then ignore the issues that they contribute to the city.

I say fuck these two and the others that get shot dealing or buying. There will not be one tear shed for these two or anyone else this happens to regardless where they live.
    There was a local article awhile back that brought light to the issue that many big successful drug dealers in the city do not live where they sell. They commute into the city to work just like "everyone" else, and often live in the nicer areas or gated communities drug money can buy.

It makes sense if you think about it....

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    There was a local article awhile back that brought light to the issue that many big successful drug dealers in the city do not live where they sell. They commute into the city to work just like "everyone" else, and often live in the nicer areas or gated communities drug money can buy.

It makes sense if you think about it....
    Certainly you're not talking about the street level dealers who are so visable all over the city, they dont look like gated community material to me. I doubt that any of the high level drug kingpins ever spend much time in the city at all. So what type of big successful drug dealers would you be refering to ?

Wow, we lived at 7/Hayes back in the early 70's and it was great. Very sorry to hear it's gotten so bad.

When my youngest "daughter" was at Vista Maria, I decided to take a stroll down memory lane. I went down Joy rd. It wasn't a Joy. I won't give any opinions on what should be done but, Damn two years ago I saw the old hood was messed up.And I think I am done with trips down my history trail. But if history repeats, Look out Drbn Hgts and Redford. It can happen sooner then you think.

Blarf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post

Ahh, so if the drug is deemed illegal, you have no sympathy for them. That's very logical.

Hell, You can buy drugs right in the open on 3rd Avenue and Alexandrine, seriously I've seen lines form by the cars on delivery day.

So I would say that is a good place to buy drugs

Then again I haven't lived there for almost a year now
    Last edited by Novack; September-19-09 at 07:51 AM.

Retroit Guest

Solution: Heavily publicized monetary rewards for people who turn in drug dealers. Drug forfeiture money used for reward payments. Undercover cops posing as drug purchasers. Stronger punishment for dealers.

...and people having some self-respect!

Impound the vehicles of the "visiting" drug buyers, then sell them at auction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast