Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Jai-Lee Dearing PUNKS DETROIT

Wow... let the games begin. What a scum bag.

That was an impostor, not Dearing, chatting with us
    [[Detroit Freepress)

You're right. The term "punk" is appropriate.

Answer me this, why would we want a clown like this on city council?

Detroit already has a bunch of idiots on council, do we want more?

I've heard of multitasking before but usually you do it yourself. Kind of reminds me of Martha Reeves with her second job.
    You kind of wonder who the "real" person is after this.

I want to thank Mr. Deering for all his efforts in winnowing the pack of 18 to 17.

What an asshole.

gravitymachine Guest

who here is suprised? really?

this guy is like kwame II

How could this even change anyone's mind? If being chief of staff for convicted felon Alonzo Bates [[and not blowing the whistle on him), and accepting contributions from Manuel Moroun and Karl Kado doesn't deter voters, what will?

Didn't one of the newspaper support him in the primary? Help me remember...? I think it was the Freepress, no?

Quote Originally Posted by jhartmich View Post
    Didn't one of the newspaper support him in the primary? Help me remember...? I think it was the Freepress, no?
    The fish paper stated in their mea culpa that it did NOT endorse Jai-Lee.

Still, to get punk'd so easily, it makes one wonder what else they aren't up to speed on?

Quote Originally Posted by MCP-001 View Post

Still, to get punk'd so easily, it makes one wonder what else they aren't up to speed on?
    Nonsense. They gave the access info to him and he passed it off to someone else. The only way they could stop that is to force everyone to have the chats in person, which kinda defeats the whole purpose of allowing for online chats.

No question, I feel a little punked by Dearing...
    But I also feel like this was a situation that could have been worked out without all the hijinks.. If he got double-booked with us and the radio, we would have rescheduled. We've been going through the candidates in alphabetical order, so it would have been no big deal to just move his chat if he couldn't do it when he was scheduled.

Instead, he chose to pull a fast one where he could. He couldn't have used an impostor on the radio! On a chat, it almost worked.

Cool thing, I think, is that the readers busted him during the chat and called him out. So he didn't get away with it for long..

We set up these chats with the candidates as a way to get readers the same kind of access we have to them.
    Seriously, how many opportunities do voters get to question the candidates directly? We get it as much as we request, so I figured these chats to be a creative way to share some of that access.
    [[This is our first experiment with this, but not the last. Look for us to do much more with the gubernatorial and other big races next year.)

Of course, EastDetroit is right, we couldn't ever be absolutely sure that the person chatting is actually the candidate, short of requiring people to come into the Freep offices.

We've talked to all the candidates a number of times [[and met at least once with all the city council finalists, face-to-face) and we talk to them on the day before, as well as the day of, their chats, to make sure we're still on. Obviously, that doesn't stop someone from deceiving if that's really their intent.

Overall, though, I think the chats have been pretty revealing - as much for what they say ABOUT the candidates as for what the candidates themselves say. Dearing's takes the cake so far..

Default Common FREEP chaos ...

Just remember the FREEP plays fast and loose with its editorial board. Henderson's uncle is Charlie Beckham, Bing's right-hand man, and that wasn't revealed for quite a time into the political season. And they let Rochelle Riley have her way -- this is the woman who lives in Ann Arbor, makes it look like she lives in Detroit when her house gets broken into and then takes a "staycation" in Detroit --- yet lives 50 minutes away.

You have got to be kidding, Ms. Detroit City Rochelle Riley lives in Ann Arbor? I will never read her column again. I don't feel punked, I am pissed. She has mislead all of us. Dearing has been hanging out with Lonnie Bates and Kwame so I didn't expect anything different from him.

"Just remember the FREEP plays fast and loose with its editorial board. Henderson's uncle is Charlie Beckham, Bing's right-hand man, and that wasn't revealed for quite a time into the political season."

This is a lie.. In a column dated Dec. 19, 2008 [[two full months before the initial special election primary and well before the campaign was even going) titled "Steps taken to avoid conflict of interest," I laid out a good bit of my family history, including my uncle's connections with Bing.
    In the same column, I wrote that I would not sit in on Bing's endorsement interview [[and I haven't, for any election) and that I would not lead the discussion about mayoral endorsements [[and I haven't).

And while Rochelle is a columnist at the Freep, she's not a member of the editorial board.

Get your facts straight before you make accusations..
    Last edited by sehender1; September-21-09 at 08:49 AM.