Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by reddog289 View Post
    I have alot of crap. I never relized it till 2 years ago.I blame it all on my depression era parents. Save it you might need it.
    Oh, isn't that the truth!! My parents saved everything in the world until now that they're older and are trying to 'clean up.' The sad thing is they're giving away or throwing out stuff that they could get good money for these days! They just don't want to bother trying to sell it.

It's a bummer. My mom put out a perfectly good, adjustable dress form she got from her aunt decades ago. It was gone off the curb in a matter of minutes. My dad put out something else that got picked up quickly, too, but I can't recall what it was.

Ah yes! I had some profitable trash picking events. For whatever reason my parents neighbors' descendents / heirs / executors whomever just decided one day to pitch out stuff they did not want. I picked up a nice lot of '60 '61 Detroit Tigers Scorebooks and a mint in the box Felix the Cat costume. Another neighbor threw away a hard top roof for a MB SL class.

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    Oh, isn't that the truth!! My parents saved everything in the world until now that they're older and are trying to 'clean up.' The sad thing is they're giving away or throwing out stuff that they could get good money for these days! They just don't want to bother trying to sell it.

It's a bummer. My mom put out a perfectly good, adjustable dress form she got from her aunt decades ago. It was gone off the curb in a matter of minutes. My dad put out something else that got picked up quickly, too, but I can't recall what it was.
    let them get rid of the stuff. my parents grew up during the depression and when mom died, we had an estate sale. what a nightmear! my sisters and i knew what the better stuff was [[thanks mom) so we didn't sell some of the nicer/valuable/sentimental items. we had an agreement to be there during the sale. they hid items they wanted in a bedroom closet which i found during the sale, had their cronies come in and pose as customers and swipe or purchase the items at a better price. they WILL steal from you. all on top of taking 30% of the sale. now, they might not all be crooks but this also happend to a cousin and an uncle using different estate sale companies.

so my advise is......if you want to keep sentimental and/or better pieces go ahead. if your folks are willing to get rid of items that are just going to collect dust in your own home, let them do it. it's not worth all the bullshit.

My " little sister " saw me eating PEZ one day without the dispenser, So then I got Pez dispensers for Christmas, Birthdays, AND WHAT EVER REASON SHE DECIDED TO GET ME PEZ.
    I have this EXACT same problem. No joke.

LodgeDodger Guest

HEY! PEZ is a great gift item! Works for any occasion!

Statler Hotel items only if I can get them cheap at a yard sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Norwalk View Post
    Statler Hotel items only if I can get them cheap at a yard sale.
    now that's one of the items i kept from my mom. silver bud vase about12" tall with the hotel statler emblem front and center and stamped and numbered on the bottom.

I collect records first and foremost, and I play them as well.

I also collect old film clips[[that includes music performances, concerts, newsreeels, old commericals, doucmentaires, TV shows)as long as its before 1970.

Officially I say I collect coffee mugs, but I also have way WAY too much STUFF!

I'm currently also renting a storage unit to store things from my grandparents and parents collections.

Does having all this STUFF stop me from shopping and buying more? Oh heavens no!

LOL

Being a genealogy nut, I collect dead people.

I collect books, music in any format but i prefer vinyl. Musical instruments, mostly guitars. Next I want to get a ukelele. Also, Zippo lighters and beer mugs. Oh, and broken television sets. Dang, I need to clean the basement.

I collect ashtrays. I started to collect them because I figure they will be obsolete pretty soon. Not just any ashtrays though, they have to have advertisement on them, preferably a Detroit place. Usually I find relatively small ones, like the kind that used to be in diners or restaurants.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Alfie1a View Post
    I collect books, music in any format but i prefer vinyl. Musical instruments, mostly guitars. Next I want to get a ukelele. Also, Zippo lighters and beer mugs. Oh, and broken television sets. Dang, I need to clean the basement.
    For our anniversary, I picked up a Strumstick for betterhalf. He LOVES it.

http://www.strumstick.com/

cheddar bob Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Me, too. Well, except for the genealogy part.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    As long as you don't see them [[except for photos).

Lodgedodger, that strumstick is pretty cool. I think I'll get one for my sis.

Hope your husband isn't driving you nuts already with it.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Alfie1a View Post
    Lodgedodger, that strumstick is pretty cool. I think I'll get one for my sis.

Hope your husband isn't driving you nuts already with it.
    Not at all. It has a fun sound. Also, it looks really cool set up next to his other guitars. [[I ordered the exotic wood stick.) I sometimes play it also.

;-)

Lightning rod balls. Never seen one? Do a search!

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by grumpyoldlady View Post
    Lightning rod balls. Never seen one? Do a search!
    Those are AWESOME! What a cool thing to collect.

Some people are just born to win -

The weathervane from the recently razed home of the late Josephine Ford just set the world record price for American folk art.

“The sculpture's beautiful patina — verdigris with traces of russet paint and glints of original gilding — was burnished by continual exposure to the elements. For years, the figure flew atop the Grosse Pointe, Mich., home of Josephine and Walter Buhl Ford II. Mrs Ford, who died last year, was a granddaughter of industrialist Henry Ford.”

The weathervane stood proudly on top of 248 Provencal Road, Grosse Pointe Farms. This clapboard colonial was designed in 1925 by prominent local architect, Robert Ovens Derrick, for Sidney Trowbridge Miller, Jr. [[Caroline Fay Alger). Miller was an attorney and the son of Sidney Trowbridge Miller [[Lucy T. Robinson), - the “Father” of Michigan’s oldest and largest law firm Miller Canfield. Josephine Clay Ford and her husband purchased this house in 1947 and she resided here until her death last year.

“I thought I owned the best weathervane until one this came along," folk art collector Jerry Lauren said at Sotheby's on October 6, moments after acquiring a J.L. Mott Indian Chief weathervane for $5.84 million [[original estimate - $100/150,000) including premium.”
    The entire article with photograph of the weathervane can be found here:
    http://antiquesandthearts.com/ 2006-10-10__10-09-21.html

Thank you to Nancy Nall and her new web site www.grossepointetoday.com for “breaking” this story locally.

http://atdetroit.net/forum/messages/...209364399:eek:

Phone numbers from the ladies

I've been a collector of rock 'n' roll music since 1963 when I was 12. Started off with 45s, moved on to albums, then tapes and now buying CDs like a crazy person trying to replace all of my old records, especially the elusive B sides. I keep track of it all with some spreadsheets on the computer. I also enjoy reading books on the subject of music and the artists, writers and producers who created my favorites. I never tire of the pursuit, as there is always something new being released from the vaults.

Old LEGO sets and parts from the 1950s and 1960s. Collected so much of it, that I wrote a collectors guide on the subject [[since it's not mentioned in any Antique or Toy Collectibles Guide).

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=110798

I collect photos and videos frome the 1967 Detroit riot. Anybody have any leads?

I collect snow globes. Not the cheap little ones but big ones with city themes and music. My first was actually a Detroit snow globe which came to me as a gift. Then slowly but surely I acquired more. Today, I have about 20 of them from cities in the US and Canada.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast