Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: 145 Temple

Default 145 Temple

One more apartment building gone never to come back. Had a moderate size fire this week. Whatever tenants [[ or squatters ) who were in there left. It was a going concern a few months ago, owned by the same couple for decades. He died a while back and she sold it to Illich. A crew was there today cement blocking up the windows. It certainly wasn't the Taj Mahal, but plenty of people lived there up till last year.

Which building is this? Near Cass?

It's a little scary over there at night, so I was hoping some generous soul would redo those old apartment buildings and brighten things up. We are SOOO in need of more decent apartments in that area, and the development would spur some non-Ilitch related businesses to come in. Help Cass Corridor keep their neighborhood Cass Corridor, if you know what I mean

Too bad. Always thought that was a pretty nice looking building. The decimation of the Corridor continues.

Pictures of the fire

http://www.eastwoodphotography.net/D...50527055_9cTm4

check out the main page for this guy, he seems to go to every fire in the city.
    http://www.eastwoodphotography.net/D...ire-Department

Damn... another loss. The area isn't very desirable now, but it's buildings like these that make it more desirable in the future. Hope the resident can work it out.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Pictures of the fire

http://www.eastwoodphotography.net/D...50527055_9cTm4

check out the main page for this guy, he seems to go to every fire in the city.
    http://www.eastwoodphotography.net/D...ire-Department

hmmmm....firebug?

Illitch owns it? Well, so much for another building...

Beautiful facade... but Mr. Illitch prefers the look of a parking lot.

Wonder how much Ilitch gets in insurance for that.

There's a building across the street with broken windows. It appears abandoned but I see A LOT of people milling around it and there are signs of lots of squatters .... saw a few hijacking power the other day. I wonder who owns that one. Why won't the city do anything about illegal occupation and negligent landlords? Does Illitch even know what he owns?

You can call and report energy theft, from DTE's web site;

<H3>Report Theft

If you suspect that an electric or gas meter in our service area might have been tampered with, report it now online or call our theft hotline at 800.441.6698. All reports are kept strictly confidential. Telephone reports may be made anonymously. Remember, reporting energy theft may protect you, your family, your neighbors and your property.
    </H3>
    http://www.dteenergy.com/residential...ergyTheft.html

Thanks gnome.

I can't find the link for it GSG, but I'm sure they also offer rewards to tipsters.

What about that incredible 1890s apartment building at the corner of Temple and Park? I believe it's called the Embassy. What's the story with that? That has to be prime for redevelopment when the economy gets going again.

Why are some of you saying negative things about Illitch. He's one of the few people that have done a serious amout of good for the city.

He's a slumlord. He lets his buildings fall apart, after which he leverages public money to demolish them.

Yeah that, and he likes to assume ownership of entire neighborhoods, like the Corridor. A few years back he told the Free Press that he intended to develop from behind the Fox theater into Cass and change the name to Foxtown. There may not be many appealing elements in Cass Corridor, but many people still live there and TRY to take pride in their community. They were absolutlely NOT having the name change thing.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    Why are some of you saying negative things about Illitch. He's one of the few people that have done a serious amout of good for the city.
    Oh boy. Where to even begin?

Well, we can start with the 14 million that was given to Ilitch by the city for upkeep and safekeeping of Tiger Stadium that NEVER happened. And we just shelled out another 500,000 to have the rest of it torn down.

FYI I saw crews bricking up the windows & doors on the ground floor today. Looks like the building might remain. I can't understand why they would brick the windows if they were tearing it down.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsgeorge View Post
    FYI I saw crews bricking up the windows & doors on the ground floor today. Looks like the building might remain. I can't understand why they would brick the windows if they were tearing it down.
    Because he'll tear it own when and if he's ready to and not a moment sooner. He's Mike Illich, he does what he wants. He doesn't want the liabilty of anyone getting in there.

EastSider Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    He's a slumlord. He lets his buildings fall apart, after which he leverages public money to demolish them.
    Wait, is this Ilitch or Joel Landy?