Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default George Pierrot / George Sprott

I tripped across a large format graphic novel titled "George Sprott: 1894-1971" by Canadian artist Seth. In his interview with popmatters.com, he sites his inspiration for the title character:

“There was a particular host [on Detroit television] of a travel show named George Pierrot that was the direct inspiration for George Sprott,” Seth says. “Some of his surface characteristics are similar – though none of the personal ones are. George Pierrot was famous for falling asleep on the air.”

The New York Times serialized the novella at http://www.nytimes.com/ref/magazine/...gesSprott.html

I credit a portion of my eternal wanderlust to numerous viewings of George Pierott's program. Does anyone else have memories of his show?

When we bought our first 10" black and white tv set in the late 40's, George's "World Adventure Series" was one of the first shows we watched. And it was a very good travel show. He lived in Indian Village, maintained an office in the Farwell Building and could recite notorious limericks that would make you blush.

...and my father grumbles despite driving a new Chrysler Imperial he'd stiff the grocery delivery boys on the tip

There once was a George named Pierrot
    Who traveled the World on his show
    And when Rock was a Pebble
    He'd watch on a bevel
    And play with his verticle Hold.

Buy American Guest

I watched George Pierrot as a child and into my teens. His son, Bob went to Southeastern High School where I graduated from. I remember that on many occasions, George seemed to fall asleep and was so sluggish that I almost went to sleep as well.

The George Pierrot show helped inspire my interest in the world around us. It was not flashy and did not show a lot of cheap thrills for ratings [[imo). I think it was shown around dinner time. A fond memory for me.

Oh yeah, I used love watching his travel show. For me, that show instilled the love of geography. I always have to know the layout of the land before we go somewhere.

Mr. Erie remembers him too. He says that when he returned from his stint with the Canadian Army overseas, he watched the George Pierrot show to see where he had been. [[Think copious amounts of German beer consumed during time off from duty.)
    Last edited by eriedearie; September-17-09 at 04:03 PM.

I do recall watching it but as a child I thought it was one of the most boring shows on TV. Yet it was oddly spellbinding.

The travelogues were interesting and educational but always of very poor picture quality. They must have been made by the tourist movie cameras of the day.

When they cut back to George it was like watching a train wreck in slo-mo. You couldn't take your eyes off of him. Was he going to die on camera today? He was a bit like Larry "Bud" Melman in some ways. I always wondered what the background story was about how someone like that got that job. Does anyone know the story?

If it were on today it would probably become a runaway cult hit.

Yes, Seth grew up north of Windsor and spent a lot of time watching Canadian and local Detroit television. It's amazing how little happened on those old shows. The only thing that killed his show was demographics. His support from his audience and his sponsor, First Federal Savings, remained strong, but no one wanted his age group because it kept the younger and more desirable viewers away from the television shows that followed his program. Too bad I was one of those young viewers who couldn't help but change the channel after a few minutes of ol'George. Didn't know I was one of those helping to take his show off the air.

If you ever get around to it his books and short stories still make an entertaining read. His description of Hawaii before it became all asphalt, of pre-war Japan [[he was convinced Japan would not go to war with us--wrong!) and of pre-war China [[he thought the Chinese worked so hard they would one day dominate the world--true!) was interesting. Also there's a short story he wrote about some ego-tripping basketball players that had some good psychological twists and turns for a teenage sports story.

An older man I worked with at Sears years ago told me some stories about Pierrot. He used to get drunk at the Roostertail and had to have the valets drive him home to Indian Village on a number of occasions.

Besides his show, he hosted a live travelogue show every Sunday at the Detroit Institute of Arts. Took it in many a time.

Pierrot is the only Detroit TV personality that had shows airing on two channels during the same time period. He had a weekday show on WWJ and a weekend show on WXYZ.

I've got a WWJ gag reel with ol' George reciting the dirtiest limericks I've ever heard.

Buy American Guest

Anyone remember Stan Midgley?

From the Social Security Death Index [[SSDI):

Stanley MIDGLEY Birth Date:1 Nov 1913 Death Date:10 Aug 2000 Social Security Number: 361-03-8842 State or Territory Where Number Was Issued: Illinois Death Residence Localities ZIP Code:91011 Localities: Flintridge, Los Angeles, California

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    Anyone remember Stan Midgley?
    Loved that guy! The man on the bicycle who took amusing shots of himself. Funny guy.

gnome---George would be very proud of you.

Ah! Stan Midgley! How could I forget? I loved his camera tricks. Check this out from the railroadforums.com thread:

Ed Golick, anyway you can get that gag reel up on youtube, legally? Would love to see it.

The thing I loved about Pierrot was that, no matter where he traveled, he seemed to love the local food. Fried ants? "Fabulous!" Grasshopper salad? "We loved it!" I credit George Pierrot with being one of the first people [[outside of my dad) to tell great travel stories that made me want to travel the world.

That Midgley guy was out here? There was an Adventurer from up there in La Canada[[rhymes with pinata, our latest wildfires did a number up there) named John Goddard who would work the high school assembly circuit every year, with his famous "Life List" from Reader's Digest[[he wound up in one of the "Chicken Soup" books, too). They'd bring us all down & show us his[[silent) exotic travel movies while he'd narrate them with trivia, jokes & asides. I'd get a hhuuuggeee Pierrot vibe off him-his stuff shot on 16mm, every year's presentation would be dedicated to his late-& last traveling companion, it was like Pa Cartwright's wife, they all died on these adventures... drowned in an African river, or bitten by snakes in the swamp, or fell prey to headhunters in Papa New Guinea, or taken out by some exotic wasting tropical disease in South America. The idea was if you stay in school, study hard & don't do drugs[[unless it's anti-biotics that may or may not work on the tropical diseases) you won't have these wonderful adventures...or you could merely end up as vulture bait like John Goddard's traveling companions. It reminded me of "Charles Muntz" from "Up!"[[whose name is probably a "Madman Muntz" homage-google him).
    http://travel.latimes.com/articles/la-trw-goddard4jan04
    http://www.johngoddard.info/bio.htm

But we are forgetting here, the most important takeaway about George Pierrot is he lived in Indian Village & drove a new Chrysler, yet stiffed delivery boys from the grocery store on their tip. In a working class town that oughtta make you vulture bait.

Wasn't Dennis Glen Cooper another frequent guest ?

lilpup Guest

George Pierrot, Lawrence Welk, Tigers baseball or Red Wing hockey - the usual tv fare when staying overnight at grandma's house. Accompanied by Vernor's, often sipped through Twizzlers, or peanut brittle or butter mints.

Summer nights when nothing worth watching was on we'd sit on the front porch glider and count cars passing by. Whoever had more cars pass by from their chosen direction won.

Quote Originally Posted by lpg View Post
    Wasn't Dennis Glen Cooper another frequent guest ?
    Yes. He also had his own show, "Realm of the Wild."

Sludgedaddy Guest

...aaaah yes, Mr. George Pierrot! I can recall coming home from school and making it a point to watch World Adventure Series just to catch Ol' George copping a nod. He had a tendency to conk out when an especially boring travel film like "Tulip Time in Holland" was shown. Behind the guests narration one could often hear George snoring. Stan Midgely's films were an exception and kept George alert.

Another bit of entertainment was when, near the end of the show, the director would motion to George that he had some time left. George's ad-libs were priceless. In his gravelly voice, Pierrot would intone " Ah...the lakes...the rivers...ah, the wonderful cuisine....ah....time's up ! "

George was truly a world adventurer. I can recall seeing an old reel to reel in an anthropology class which featured Margret Mead. Appearing behind her with what looked liked his hand on her buttocks was George Pierrot! Someone asked the Prof if that was George Pierrot and the reply was "Yes".

George Pierrot is buried in Elmwood Cemetery overlooking the Bloody Run Pond. His memorial stone was brought over from Canada with much difficulty through customs. George used to sit on that rock when he fished and it would accomodate his fat ass perfectly.

George, you're still my hero and a Detroit Legend. RIP.

Loved George Pierrot. Heard a story quite a while ago about him and kleptomania. Any truth to it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast