Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Detroit Yes threads inspire another song

Well, I read in previous threads that in Detroit 70% percent of students do not graduate from high school. The big three automakers are gone. There is no work. It's not coming back. If someone asks advise about moving to Detroit, you tell them not to come, its too dangerous. The general feeling is that children with no future and no parental oversight will become hyper-violent --eleven year olds on bikes with guns, real guns.

Now imagine 5 years in the future, a group of street punks are sitting around a barrel of burning wood. One guy has a metal bodied resonator guitar. Another pulls out a harmonica and plays naive Bob Dylan licks. And then the smooth operator, his tongue loosened with alcohol, raps out some lustful lyrics in a stream of consciousness moment, describing his life. He does a verse and starts messing with a girl. The guitar picks up the lead. After a verse he turns away from her, strutting and bragging "I always live in big houses. Mansions! ....".

It sounded like this:
    http://jamq.org/jamqueuemusic/StHiJ1...-Rick_KeyG.m3u

And then, like most nights in Detroit, it ends with a fight and a death.

The "Detroit Yes" relevevant question would be:, "Do you think the reality of squatters and hyper-violence described in the song is a good prediction of life in the average neighborhood in Detroit in 5 or so years?"
    Last edited by RickBeall; September-17-09 at 08:56 AM.

You're not thinking about quitting your day job are you?

I can feel the love. Come to me baby, come to me!

I fear this could be like having a film theory discussion with Ed Wood.

The beat kinda stays with you, but I feel it is kinda hard to dance to, so I'd give it 6.

Interesting song. Not for everyone, but thanks for sharing it.

Here's another:

http://mog.com/cpetersonart3/blog/1470913

Default NO!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    Well, I read in previous threads that in Detroit 70% percent of students do not graduate from high school. The big three automakers are gone. There is no work. It's not coming back. If someone asks advise about moving to Detroit, you tell them not to come, its too dangerous. The general feeling is that children with no future and no parental oversight will become hyper-violent --eleven year olds on bikes with guns, real guns.

Now imagine 5 years in the future, a group of street punks are sitting around a barrel of burning wood. One guy has a metal bodied resonator guitar. Another pulls out a harmonica and plays naive Bob Dylan licks. And then the smooth operator, his tongue loosened with alcohol, raps out some lustful lyrics in a stream of consciousness moment, describing his life. He does a verse and starts messing with a girl. The guitar picks up the lead. After a verse he turns away from her, strutting and bragging "I always live in big houses. Mansions! ....".

It sounded like this:
    http://jamq.org/jamqueuemusic/StHiJ1...-Rick_KeyG.m3u

And then, like most nights in Detroit, it ends with a fight and a death.

The "Detroit Yes" relevevant question would be:, "Do you think the reality of squatters and hyper-violence described in the song is a good prediction of life in the average neighborhood in Detroit in 5 or so years?"

Not if I have anything to do with it!!

I haven't seen too many street punks playing slide guitar recently, but yeah maybe in five years that will become a reality.

I can't believe i just wasted 3 minutes and 53 seconds of my life.