Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Russell Bazaar

Default Russell Bazaar

Does the Russell Bazaar have shops that sell unique art and gifts? Or is it just a big "flea market" that sells stuff you can find at any mall?

I looked at there website and it appears the bazaar is now just selling cheap goods. Am I wrong?

I would like to head there one weekend if the focus is still on the artisans it was originally designed for, however, am reluctant if it has turned into a mass flea market.

gravitymachine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rondinjp View Post
    Does the Russell Bazaar have shops that sell unique art and gifts? Or is it just a big "flea market" that sells stuff you can find at any mall?

I looked at there website and it appears the bazaar is now just selling cheap goods. Am I wrong?

I would like to head there one weekend if the focus is still on the artisans it was originally designed for, however, am reluctant if it has turned into a mass flea market.
    there are a few worthwhile vendors in there like the highway press, but the majority is typical flea market stuff

the bazaar is a whole separate entity from the organic growth of artists studios elsewhere in the complex and was never really supposed to be about art specifically. the bazaar is just co-opting the noteriety that artists elsewhere in the complex had started to build up for the russell, which is evident by people always confusing the two.

if you want to see the artists, their studios, and their work, you need to keep an eye peeled for either the spring or fall open houses, which are put on by the artists for the artists.

the next opportunity will be on saturday october 3rd from 7-midnight during art detroit now
    Last edited by gravitymachine; September-16-09 at 12:18 PM.

Until then, you might want to check out the DIY Fest in Ferndale and related events this weekend.

http://www.downtownferndale.com/DDA/FASFF_links.asp

Hi Rondin,
    Would you like to try creating an Art gallery at my website www.artscad.com

You might want to check out the area of Cass south of Grand Blvd. There is a couple of designer/art schools in that area. One used to be part of GM Headquarters