Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Default Fouts is Out[s] in Warren

Controversial and colorful Warren Mayor will not be allowed to run for reelection.

The political end may be nigh for Warren Mayor Jim Fouts as the Michigan Supreme Court dealt what may be the final blow to his mayoral career.

The court on Wednesday declined to hear an appeal by Warren City Clerk Sonja Buffa and the Warren Election Commission after the Michigan Court of Appeals ruled Fouts was not eligible to run this year for another term as mayor.

After his last term, good riddance to that dictator.

What, this guy thinks he should be mayor forever?

Well, if the people like what he's doing then they will keep voting for him. Right? If the city charter has a term limit then he has to go.

He always came across to me as a peculiar fellow. However, the seniors in that city seemed to really like him. He was accountable to people residing in the city. City services seemed to be good under his administration. City of Warren schools seem to be okay. Crime seems to be mostly under control in that city. I'm using the word seem a lot because I really don't know. I know a guy who lives on Cyman off 8 Mile. He's lived there for decades, and he could afford to move if he wanted to. Housing seems reasonable and mostly solid in most areas. There's places to go out to eat, there's places to shop.

I would say most people think Fouts has done a good to very good job. If he was allowed to run again, he probably would be reelected handily.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Jim Fouts will be remembered as the 'Stalin' of Warren.

You know what happened to Caesar when he was dictator for life?

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    Well, if the people like what he's doing then they will keep voting for him. Right? If the city charter has a term limit then he has to go.
    Just like Trump thinks he should be president forever, term limits be damned... I don't think so. He's done enough damage, and just divided the country even more. Can't speak for Fouts, I don't live in Warren.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; May-21-23 at 07:52 AM.

I used to live in Warren. Fouts was awful from day one. He injected so much cronyism and quid pro quo into city government. So many unqualified department heads. Caught holding his secretary's hand in Chicago...

He has earned three pensions. If I were in his position I would travel the world and enjoy life. Instead he has his trust fund setup to attack his political enemies from the grave [I wish I was making that up...].

Good riddance Fouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottathew View Post
    I used to live in Warren. Fouts was awful from day one. He injected so much cronyism and quid pro quo into city government.
    Good riddance Fouts.
    Many people are saying the exact same thing about Mayor Young, there's a post about his 50th anniversary on this site right now. How could both guys be so highly criticized but still keep getting elected?

I always thought of him as equivalent to Mayor Richard Daley of Chicago on a much smaller scale.

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    Many people are saying the exact same thing about Mayor Young, there's a post about his 50th anniversary on this site right now. How could both guys be so highly criticized but still keep getting elected?
    In Warren, Fouts started off his political career as an activist councilperson. He painted the administration as the boogeyman and every single council meeting he would have a hot-button issue and he'd stir up a few residents to come and speak on it. The goal wasn't to fix the issue, but rather to blame the administration. In general once the administration was made aware of an issue they'd fix it, but in the eyes of the public, it would be because of Fouts. Of course Fouts could have got a faster fix if he would have just told the administration immediately instead of waiting for a council meeting.

This really resonated with anyone that paid attention. It even worked on me for a few months. In general, the people that pay attention are seniors, the most reliable voting group. Fouts of course did other things to cater to the minds of seniors as well.

Once Fouts cemented things in with the seniors it was easy street. He built a brand and the reliable seniors loved it.

It's funny how no one has mentioned the fact the Crypt Keeper is also a blatant racist.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/d3ak...t-tape-scandal

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    It's funny how no one has mentioned the fact the Crypt Keeper is also a blatant racist.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/d3ak...t-tape-scandal
    Just from the link you provided

Bell is African American and a friend of Fouts'.

Obama won the county twice

They seem to suck at being racist,the whole having African American friends and playing a large part in electing an African American president not once but twice,seems a bit contradictory.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

They seem to suck at being racist,the whole having African American friends and playing a large part in electing an African American president not once but twice,seems a bit contradictory.

Richard, you're one of a kind... In your world, there are no racists.

Thomas Jefferson also had African-American children.

He was still a racist.

Strom Thurmond had an African-American daughter.

He was still a segregationist.

Richard, you're one of a kind... In your world, there are no racists.
    It depends on what you define as a racist,people like to throw the word around as a tool,to the point where the meaning has become so diluted it has little meaning anymore.

I have met real racists in the north and in the south,and the last thing they would do is vote for an African American president,not once but twice,and they certainly would not have any African American friends,they would prefer to drag them behind a truck.

My uncle and his daughter did not speak to me for over 40 years after I married a Hispanic,he worked for a major automotive manufacturer as a line supervisor and his job was to encourage African Americans to quit after affirmative action was implemented.

I always hear the stories about how tough and gritty those in the Detroit region are but sometimes I wonder because there seems to be quite a few that go out of their way in order to be triggered or offended over anything somebody does or says.
    Last edited by Richard; May-26-23 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottathew View Post
    In Warren, Fouts started off his political career as an activist councilperson. He painted the administration as the boogeyman and every single council meeting he would have a hot-button issue and he'd stir up a few residents to come and speak on it. The goal wasn't to fix the issue, but rather to blame the administration. In general once the administration was made aware of an issue they'd fix it, but in the eyes of the public, it would be because of Fouts. Of course Fouts could have got a faster fix if he would have just told the administration immediately instead of waiting for a council meeting.

This really resonated with anyone that paid attention. It even worked on me for a few months. In general, the people that pay attention are seniors, the most reliable voting group. Fouts of course did other things to cater to the minds of seniors as well.

Once Fouts cemented things in with the seniors it was easy street. He built a brand and the reliable seniors loved it.
    Because senior citizens are old doesn't mean they're all dumb or gullible. I'll bet some of them are smarter than you or me. Maybe the seniors in Warren were quite satisfied with the way he ran their city.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Because senior citizens are old doesn't mean they're all dumb or gullible.
    I certainly did not nor would I claim that.

People who see what Fouts is all about and vote for him have different values and priorities than I do.

how many minorities are running for the office now that Mr. Fouts cannot run again?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    how many minorities are running for the office now that Mr. Fouts cannot run again?
    I found this from February: Warren’s list of 2023 mayoral candidates grows.
    Nard is currently serving her second two-year term on the Macomb County Board of Commissioners. She is an executive member of Southeast Michigan Council of Governments as a delegate, is the vice chair on SEMCOG’s Traffic and Safety Task Force, and is a member of the Regional Review Committee. Nard is also a member of the Michigan Association of Counties Agriculture and Tourism Committee.

"Where there is no vision the people will perish,” said Nard. “My vision for Warren is safe neighborhoods, fix the crumbling roads, have homes in south Warren properly assessed for their real value and a walkable beautiful downtown that is a destination place.”

“[With] my experience as a Macomb County Commissioner and executive member of SEMCOG as a delegate, I know how to successfully tap resources that will move this city forward,” Nard said.

She said she will work effectively with the council and the county.
    There are three others mentioned, including Fouts. {This article was published before the Michigan Supreme Court decision.}

Last edited by Jimaz; May-29-23 at 08:09 PM.

It depends on what you define as a racist, people like to throw the word around as a tool, to the point where the meaning has become so diluted it has little meaning anymore.
    Yeah... reminds me of the term WOKE...
    Last edited by Gistok; May-30-23 at 02:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Yeah... reminds me of the term WOKE...
    I think that goes back to Newton’s second law of motion,for every action there is a reaction.

Or if one is a farmer,what is good for the goose is good for the gander,or my favorite that most learn at a very young age,don’t piss into the wind.

You really cannot expect to wake people up,then pick and choose who you want to go back to sleep so it only benefits you.

Good bye Fouts!

Stalin is dead!

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Thomas Jefferson also had African-American children.

He was still a racist.

Strom Thurmond had an African-American daughter.

He was still a segregationist.
    Kid Rock has a black son.

And he is still racist!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast