Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default My Kind of Coach

Scituate “Green Death” soccer coach resigns

A girls soccer coach who told parents of his 6- and 7-year-old charges that he expected his players to “kick ass” has resigned.

The email was originally posted on BarStoolSports.com

Michael Kinahan says he “meant to give parents a chuckle” but that people took his message on a the team he dubbed “Green Death” the wrong way.

In an e-mail message to parents last week, Kinahan wrote that the girls on his team would “fall, get bumps, bruises and even bleed a little. Big deal, it’s good for them [[but I do hope the other team is the one bleeding).

“The political correctness police are not welcome on my sidelines,” he added.

Kinahan resigned after parents protested to league officials. Other parents have said they support his approach, said Chris Park, the registrar for the Scituate Youth Soccer League.

Entire Article Here: http://www.patriotledger.com/archive...-coach-resigns

ccbatson Guest

This is what happens when the liberal PC machine takes hold.

Let's put it in perspective first of all. Considering the age bracket of these girls he could've handled it better. A few years ago, I coached one daughter's U-7/U-8 teams & assisted with my oldest girl's U-14 team...a huge world of difference in approach. Throw the parents in there & it gets even more interesting.

There were some things I could say to the U-14 girls that I'd never try with the younger team. One of my favorite exchanges went like this:
    Player: Coach, I accidentally kicked another [[opposing)player & she fell down.
    Me: Did she get back up?
    Player: Yes.
    Me: Then you didn't kick her hard enough.
    The player obviously knew I wasn't serious by the tone of my voice & laughed about it. If she didn't get it I would've immediately explained my intent. Now imagine saying it to a 6 or 7 yr old; they'll go out & purposely kick that other kid harder or blister you with a million questions on why, when or how they should. In other words, you just don't say that.

With the younger kids you're teaching very basic fundamentals & yes, sportsmanship falls in there somewhere. At that age every kid wants to kick the ball & position discipline is non-existent. It's just a gaggle chasing the ball around & sometimes it even goes in the goal. The best part of the game is afterwards when a designated parent provides snacks & drinks. For most parents it's their first experience putting a child into an organized sport or activity. This is hardly the scenario to recite the opening speech from Patton.
    With the older players, most if not all have had signfiicant playing experience & understand what happens on the field. They usually want to be there & train to win. By now the parents have been through the routine & have either learned to control their emotions or gotten much worse. You still work on fundamentals, advanced skills, strategy & to a certain degree, physical & mental intimidation. No, I'm not talking about trash talking. Believe it or not, you still need to practice sportsmanship. In other words you don't coach your team to be dirty or purposely take out other players. Yeah, it's all fun & games with parents screaming at the kids until someone goes down hard & doesn't immediately get up. Talk about deafening silence. There's few things worse in sports than one of your players accused of being dirty or your coaching tactics called into question. When you see your own kid get intentionally hacked or elbowed the first thing you want to do is kick the ass of that player's father & their coach.
    Things get emotional but coaches & refs have to maintain their cool so things don't get out of hand. I actually had to stop one father from going after another....this was during a U-7 game no less.
    Kinahan needed to appreciate the age bracket he was working with, not to mention what kind of rapport he had with the parents. Either this wasn't covered in the coaching clinic or he totally ignored it. Judging from the tone of his email it almost looked like he was searching for a confrontation & he came out on the losing end. A case of letting testosterone or over-exhuberance get the better of him.

ccbatson Guest

Did you get fired for those exchanges Mopardan?

Quote Originally Posted by Speramus Meliora View Post
    Giving the parents a chuckle, or inciting to violence?
    It seems that childrens sports are competitive enough.
    http://graphic.pepperdine.edu/perspe...juntatrial.htm

It is supposed to be a GAME after all.
    I always wondered why no one STEPPED in when that fight occured.

And its not like the email was sent to the children, it was sent to the parents

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    Did you get fired for those exchanges Mopardan?
    Yeah they fired me on the spot. No severance package, no benefits, Do Not Pass Go, Do Not Collect $200. And after I volunteered no less.

hee-hee!

ccbatson Guest

Some folks do take it too far, however the opposite is also true by way of liberals trying to eliminate any sense of competition or individual accomplishment.

Some folks do take it too far, however the opposite is also true by way of liberals trying to eliminate any sense of competition or individual accomplishment.
    I've yet to understand why politics needs to be interjected when the thread has absolutely nothing to do with it.
    CC, do you have kids? If so, do you have them in any activity?

ccbatson Guest

Yes, 3 kids...evidence of liberal opposition to competition abounds. This year the schools eliminated the "H" grade indicating high achievement, leaving only "P" for pass/proficient, and "D" for developing/needs work.

Yes, 3 kids...evidence of liberal opposition to competition abounds. This year the schools eliminated the "H" grade indicating high achievement, leaving only "P" for pass/proficient, and "D" for developing/needs work.
    What heck is an H grade??? Did we go beyond the standard A-F scale???

And I'm pretty far to the left but that didn't stop me from competing in athletics, work, and personal competitions for the better part of the last 20 years...

Thank you Lowell, for the ignore function. That dropped my blood pressure by quit a few points.

Do you have a source for this "fact"?
    Attachment 477
    Last edited by Bigb23; April-18-09 at 11:21 AM.

ccbatson Guest

Elementary school..I explained what H was for.

Private school? Doesn't really exist, only additional school paid for only after public school is paid for in full under threat of force.

Hey! Isn't sending your kid to public school kind of like sticking your hand out for entitlements? I mean, that education is being subsidized by all of your older and/or childless neighbors.

detmich Guest

I do not mean to stereotype, but that coach is from Massachusetts. That state seems to have a real Napoleonic complex, and it really displays itself in sports.

I'm glad he got the boot, he sounds like a real [[[[[[ bag.

ccbatson Guest

Accepting payment for services rendered is not welfare.

Utilizing services paid for [[by threat of force) is not welfare.

NIH funding for work completed and results produced is not welfare.

The point is that entitlements must be completely abolished in order for the populace to be free of improper government control. Expanding entitlements results in contracting liberty. Pretending that they do not exist doesn't make it so.

ccbatson Guest

I will concede that private funding is far better...and so happens, as I pointed out, this was the case for me.

ccbatson Guest

I don't have an employer [[self employed).