Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Freighter runs aground in Detroit River near Belle Isle

Freighter runs aground in Detroit River near Belle Isle

No sound. Good aerial footage.

Freighter runs aground in Detroit River near Belle Isle

Last edited by Jimaz; May-17-23 at 09:39 AM.

Well that was exciting. It ran aground around 7:30 and was pulled free around noon.

Oh my goodness! I am a long time freighter watcher... wonder how got so close for this to happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ... wonder how got so close for this to happen?
    Someone in the chat window said it lost power and so lost steering control. I guess we'll have to wait for the details though.

It couldn't have happened on a nicer day.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    It couldn't have happened on a nicer day.
    Or a better spot. Went down to check it out and the scale of it was crazy.

I watch “Disasters at Sea” on the Smithsonian Channel so I know the crew had to get into the safety ejection flotation pod at the back of the ship, that big orange thing. Everybody was looking for some excuse so they could climb in there, how cool is that!

Name:  Screenshot [[254).jpg
Views: 568
Size:  77.3 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20230517_173822_MarineTraffic.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  35.7 KB

That boat is only a year old. Should be under warranty.

Last report I saw for the owers was that captain drop the anchors, so it never went aground. Tug pulled it out and they were able to get power back and it went on their way.

Quote Originally Posted by WKL View Post
    Last report I saw for the owers was that captain drop the anchors, so it never went aground. Tug pulled it out and they were able to get power back and it went on their way.
    Didn't go on its way. Had to be pulled off by tugs and is currently anchored in the river waiting on inspection/repairs.

At one point they were adding stern ballast to lighten {raise} the bow. I thought that was pretty clever but then I'm easily impressed. I guess you wouldn't want to do that until the tug was pulling or it might get stuck even more.

Radio comms were being monitored throughout. I hope someone recorded it.

Mechanical failure-empty ship-it ran aground. Nothing else to see or hear-it happens. NEXT!

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    ...-empty ship-...
    "loaded with about 20,000 metric tons of rock salt"

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Name:  Screenshot_20230517_173822_MarineTraffic.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  35.7 KB

That boat is only a year old. Should be under warranty.
    what is done with decommissioned ships? Are they properly deconstructed for recycling?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    what is done with decommissioned ships? Are they properly deconstructed for recycling?
    Usable parts stripped, collectibles auctioned, the rest cut up and fed into a steel making furnace.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    For the Great Lakes they go to Canada and are deconstructed.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GXH9dZ513a0&pp=ygUZR3JlYXQgbGFrZXMgc2hpcCB ocmVha2Vycw%3D%3D

Outside of the Great Lakes,they get run up in the beach in other countries and stripped right there in the sand with zero pollution controls.

The warships that are war graves that sit at the bottom of the ocean are also being illegaly stripped where they sit because the steel pre nuclear and not contaminated with radiation and brings high dollar for making hospital equipment etc.

There are up to 6 billion gallons of oil and fuel oil remaining in sunk WW2 warships that is an upcoming disaster as the steel rusts away,we deem that to expensive to retrieve but considering that it will wipe the oceans out as we know them,it’s out of site out of mind until then.

You have to prioritize saving the planet visually in order to have support.

Most of the bulk carriers in the Great Lakes have been in operation for over 50 years,this one is not even broken in yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Or Turkey, Bangladesh, India. Depends on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GXH9dZ513a0&pp=ygUZR3JlYXQgbGFrZXMgc2hpcCB ocmVha2Vycw%3D%3D

Outside of the Great Lakes,they get run up in the beach in other countries and stripped right there in the sand with zero pollution controls.

The warships that are war graves that sit at the bottom of the ocean are also being illegaly stripped where they sit because the steel pre nuclear and not contaminated with radiation and brings high dollar for making hospital equipment etc.

There are up to 6 billion gallons of oil and fuel oil remaining in sunk WW2 warships that is an upcoming disaster as the steel rusts away,we deem that to expensive to retrieve but considering that it will wipe the oceans out as we know them,it’s out of site out of mind until then.

You have to prioritize saving the planet visually in order to have support.

Most of the bulk carriers in the Great Lakes have been in operation for over 50 years,this one is not even broken in yet.
    It is said,
    The ocean has about 343 million trillion, or 343 quintillion gallons of water in it.
    The solution to pollution is dilution.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    It is said,
    The ocean has about 343 million trillion, or 343 quintillion gallons of water in it.
    The solution to pollution is dilution.
    Now all we have to do is figure out how to mix water with oil ,it has a tendency to float to the top and travel 1000s of miles until it is soaked up on a beach somewhere.

Another, different freighter. This is one of those events that can rarely be seen in places other than Detroit. We are truly privileged. It's a load of wheat bound for Italy from Canada.

Timelapse: Tiny tugboats free massive freighter that ran aground in Detroit River

That one back in May now shows up on Google Maps:

Name:  Screenshot_20231128_220345_Maps.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  126.3 KB

Kinda crazy that this has happened with such frequency in the past 12 months or so.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Kinda crazy that this has happened with such frequency in the past 12 months or so.
    Yeah, there was a third one in early November that I think we missed here.

Freighter loaded with stone runs aground in St. Clair River

It suggests there could be a common cause but then it could be just coincidental too.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't I read in the past that only a select group of Captains are actually allowed to steer freighters from the St Clair River through to the downriver opening of Lake Erie because it's so difficult to navigate? Perhaps that was the case before the onset of GPS, and now it can be done remotely?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast