Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Fisher Body 21 Plant

Anything going on with that renovation / redevelopment that was announced last March? I drive by on I-94 at least once a week, it doesn't look like any work has been started.

I don't think that project is ever going to happen from the looks of that place. It's kind of rough, to say the least.

I agree. Probably just money being passed around

I can't find the source now.. but I read somewhere recently that construction is now supposed to start Summer 2023.

Definitely in the "believe it when I see it" column though. The original press release stated initial prep work would begin Summer 2022, with a possible groundbreaking that fall, neither of which happened. I know there were a few community benefits meetings last year.

I want to be fair and blame rising interest rates, construction costs, or labor shortages for the delay. But to be honest, this project was a longshot to begin with. The development team only committed $15M of the $134M cost [[likely higher now), hoping for tax credits and other investors to supplement the rest. These developers are also totally untested at redeveloping a building of this scale.

I'd love to be surprised here, but the odds just don't look good for this project.

"Construction is slated to start in April 2023 and finish in 2025". Looks like they missed that deadline. The team over there wrapped up the community extortion *ahem* "benefits" process as well.

https://outliermedia.org/detroit-developments-2023-eastern-market-greenway-fisher-body/

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    "Construction is slated to start in April 2023 and finish in 2025". Looks like they missed that deadline. The team over there wrapped up the community extortion *ahem* "benefits" process as well.

https://outliermedia.org/detroit-developments-2023-eastern-market-greenway-fisher-body/

Can’t believe the Clement Kern Gardens Housing as is. I mean, who dreamed this up in the early eighties, and worse, who approved it, citywise? I never thought a windowless 2nd story or even large parts of the main floor was possible. Weird, and inhuman.

^ considering what was happening in cities across the country in that time frame,the sense of security while living in a windowless bunker might have appealed to some.
    Last edited by Richard; May-10-23 at 08:45 AM.

^ Entirely possible.

The thing is, a vinyl clad bunker is probably due to be replaced by something more fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Can’t believe the Clement Kern Gardens Housing as is. I mean, who dreamed this up in the early eighties, and worse, who approved it, citywise? I never thought a windowless 2nd story or even large parts of the main floor was possible. Weird, and inhuman.
    Clement Kern is being demo'd

Redevelopment plan here:
    https://detroitmi.gov/sites/detroitm...rdinance_0.pdf

^ Good to see the street grid restored, and with more density along the thoroughfares.

That news is all from two years ago though. Since the plan has its funding, when can we expect construction to begin?