Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default SMART bus to Grosse Pointe

Car repairs are requiring me to ride the SMART bus a few days this week. Where can you board the bus to Grosse Pointe in downtown Detroit?

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    Car repairs are requiring me to ride the SMART bus a few days this week. Where can you board the bus to Grosse Pointe in downtown Detroit?
    For the 620 Charlevoix you board in fron/ of the Buhl Building on Griswold or the Coleman Young Municipal Center on Larned and Woodward

You could also board at Michigan and Cass but that's a very dangerous corner with all of the drug selling and crime that occurs on that corner

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    For the 620 Charlevoix you board in fron/ of the Buhl Building on Griswold or the Coleman Young Municipal Center on Larned and Woodward
    However the Smart Bus Rte. 620 is like a 'Park and Ride' limited route. It runs from 6:00 am. to 9:00 am From Harrison TWP. to Downtown Detroit and from 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm. from Downtown Detroit to Harrison TWP. Both routes go through Grosse Pointes, along with St. Clair Shores.

If you can I would consider DDOT. If you're not within walking distance of either of the DDOT routes, then you'll need to take a SMART bus and then transfer to DDOT.

31 Mack https://ddot.info/route/31

9 Jefferson https://ddot.info/route/9

SMART's 620 barely exists as a route. Only two buses to downtown in the morning, and then two back in the middle of the afternoon [[no way to ride back home after normal working hours). That's if the buses show up at all.

For DDOT, plan to take the bus before the one you want, according to the schedule, so that if it's early/late/doesn't show, you have a backup bus. This will only set you back 25-30 minutes [[maybe plan on having breakfast downtown).

If you download the "Transit" app, it will help you figure out exactly how to get where you're going, and it will also show you where the buses are on a map to know if it's running on time. There's also the "Token" app which you can use to pay your fare without using cash.

If you take DDOT the Jefferson bus will get you to the border of Grosse Pointe then you could transfer to the 610 Harper/ Kercheval which run every 45 minutes or so. If you use any DDOT be very alert especially of crazies who get on the bus. Become street smart on there. If you hear someone talking loud on their cell phone don't turn to look at them because you might get cursed at or worse. Sit closer to the front as possible. Be leery of letting anyone use your cell phone if asked

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    If you take DDOT the Jefferson bus will get you to the border of Grosse Pointe then you could transfer to the 610 Harper/ Kercheval which run every 45 minutes or so. If you use any DDOT be very alert especially of crazies who get on the bus. Become street smart on there. If you hear someone talking loud on their cell phone don't turn to look at them because you might get cursed at or worse. Sit closer to the front as possible. Be leery of letting anyone use your cell phone if asked

You should put together a Detroit Travel Guide Tips, with all the cruise ships and everything.

I've been riding the 635 bus into the city all week. No muss, no fuss. City limits to the CAYMC. Took the bus home last night - pickup in front of the Buhl Building, drop-off at my street corner and Jefferson. $2 for an all-day, senior citizen pass.
    But what happened to the Kercheval Deanhurst and the Jefferson Beach nomenclature?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    You should put together a Detroit Travel Guide Tips, with all the cruise ships and everything.
    Hey I leave my car at home at time to catch the bus to hang out downtown. Just want to keep GP Charles safe.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    I've been riding the 635 bus into the city all week. No muss, no fuss. City limits to the CAYMC. Took the bus home last night - pickup in front of the Buhl Building, drop-off at my street corner and Jefferson. $2 for an all-day, senior citizen pass.
    But what happened to the Kercheval Deanhurst and the Jefferson Beach nomenclature?
    The 610 Kercheval Harper ceased going into Detroit at the beginning of the pandemic. The 615 ceased traveling into Detroit around 2013. 610 has more passengers than the 620 and would make sense to have that line to run into downtown Detroit and back bit for some reason SMART doesn't see it that way