Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Balloon releases may become a thing of the past in Michigan

https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/bal...vent-pollution

And people are having fits about it.
    Something about releasing balloons to "speak" to dead relatives. Just release butterflies or something else if this is something you believe in.

Your next balloon release could come with a hefty $800 fine.
    Legislation introduced in the Michigan Senate calls for banning the intentional release of balloons over environmental concerns. Sen. Mallory McMorrow [[D-Royal Oak) unveiled the bill Tuesday while lawmakers were in session. The bill calls for prohibited anyone who knowingly releases a balloon outdoors if it's filled with gas that is lighter than air. Balloons released for meteorological purposes and hot air balloons do not count.Under the bill, fines start at $800 and escalate to higher amounts depending on the size of the balloon.

Balloon waste was recently included in the growing list of contaminants that pose a danger to the Great Lakes. In 2019, the Alliance for the Great Lakes reported finding more than 18,000 balloons or balloon pieces on the Great Lakes shores over a two-year period.

People still do this? I thought that ended years ago.

I can see several problems with this from all sides.

Aren't there more important pollution problems to address first? How often do these balloon releases happen anyway? They mention latex balloons but I believe almost all helium balloons are mylar now, which, yes, would be less biodegradable than latex. Helium itself is becoming more scarce suggesting this problem might fix itself eventually.

This just seems like a problem that should be at the bottom of a priority list. Maybe that's how it became newsworthy. Or maybe it's an overdue attempt to stave off the helium shortage.

Yeah. Release butterflies instead. That's so much more natural. It makes releasing balloons seem insincere.

This reminds me of a Gahan Wilson cartoon that appeared in National Lampoon many years ago. It showed a kid holding a bunch of balloons beginning to float into the sky over a manicured lawn with a "Keep off the grass" sign. There was a cop nearby, grappling with the dilemma of what he should do about the situation.

So much can be said with so few words.

Good, it's a dumb practice and should be outlawed.

Next ban filtered cigarettes, I can't believe how many people I see throwing them on the sidewalk and out car windows. 100% slobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Aren't there more important pollution problems to address first?
    Just because there are more obvious pollution problems doesn't mean we should ignore other problems too.

Balloons harm and kill animals.

Look at these pictures and maybe you won't have such a cavalier attitude:

Balloons and Wildlife: Please Don't Release Your Balloons | U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service [[fws.gov)
    Last edited by Burnsie; April-28-23 at 11:05 AM.

Seems like a no-brainer. The only people upset about this are just social media blowhards who go through life looking to be outraged. I went to an event that used to do balloon launches, but switched to colorful, reusable flags and I didn't hear one person complaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
    ... Look at these pictures and maybe you won't have such a cavalier attitude: ...
    Just for the record, I posted this long ago so I think we're on the same page.

I'm just pointing out that there is more than one page in a book.

{And I still cut open my 6-pack rings to this day and I've never launched a balloon for sport. I'm not sure why anyone would.}