Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Parking lot overload

No "City" that lays claim to that title should have this much land dedicated to automobile storage. Detroit seems to be evolving into just another suburban "downtown", albeit with more cooler older buildings.
    https://www.axios.com/local/detroit/...t-parking-cars

I can't wait to see this map in 10 years after District Detroit comes to fruition...

Just wondering if anyone besides myself has ever looked up exactly what the Ilitches pay in property tax on their abundant empty parking lots? It is public information in plain sight. Nothing secret about it. If one wants to peal the onion on why Detroit has so many parking lots that data explains quite a bit about that issue as well as a few others.
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; April-12-23 at 11:26 AM.

I can't remember the exact figure but it came up at the District Detroit community hearings that they paid something like $300k a year in taxes, I think property, to the city and I was shocked at how low that figure was given all that they own.

I noticed on Saturday that a new parking lot has already popped up on the corner of Michigan and Washington Blvd, across from the Book-Cadillac, where an old building was recently demolished. Didn't take long.

If I’m not mistaken Detroit may be one of the first major cities to do a land value tax reform. Very simply put that buildings are currently being tax higher than surface parking lot, but with the proposal for land value tax reform the inverse will happen. Whether or not that will help [[or if it even passes) we’ll have wait and see.

^ Correct, property tax reform is on the mayors agenda. More details in his ideas here:

https://www.bridgedetroit.com/why-a-...it-detroiters/

Downtown [[Gilbert Town) Detroit is not the suburbs where you park your car and walk up to work. It was made with buildings and people traffic. We need to reduce the amount of parking lots and fill it up with buildings and apts. condos and retail. Get people to walk and socialize in public areas again.