Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default New grocery store in Corktown

It look like Corktown will be getting an independent grocery store

https://www.winsightgrocerybusiness....wntown-detroit

Suburbanites will still wonder where we shop for food, as they can't find a single Wal-Mart or Kroger for miles in any direction.

^ Hah! We do have our baby-sized Miejers on eight mile. And if your want to save money you can also consider the many produce markets in Hamtramck.

I'm a suburbanite and I prefer Hollywood, VC Market, Plum, Aldi's....

There are plenty of grocery stores nearby in mexican town, includng the excellent La Colmena/Honeybee

Still Detroit needs to fill up the food desert problem. HAH! Kroger's don't want to come to Detroit.

Here in Lafayette Park, we have the Meijers store basically across the street and behind where our co-op is at, then on the other side of the street we have Lafayette foods, which is actually a pretty decent store itself, and then we have an eight minute walk to Eastern market. There’s no reason to even start our car , let alone jump in it and go shopping anywhere else for the vast majority of goods we need. We walk or take a grocery cart.It’s hardly a grocery wasteland that’s for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by DetBill View Post
    Here in Lafayette Park, we have the Meijers store basically across the street and behind where our co-op is at, then on the other side of the street we have Lafayette foods, which is actually a pretty decent store itself, and then we have an eight minute walk to Eastern market. There’s no reason to even start our car , let alone jump in it and go shopping anywhere else for the vast majority of goods we need. We walk or take a grocery cart.It’s hardly a grocery wasteland that’s for sure.
    Just curious if traffic is down at Lafayette since Meijer opened? It was good to see them come in but you hate if it pushes a solid independent out.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Just curious if traffic is down at Lafayette since Meijer opened? It was good to see them come in but you hate if it pushes a solid independent out.
    I had always thought that a chain store will force the nearby independent stores to step up their game.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    There are plenty of grocery stores nearby in mexican town, includng the excellent La Colmena/Honeybee
    There need to be a grocery store on Michigan Avenue itself that is in a walking district for those who live in Corktown but on a main strip for the masses. I was hoping foe a Kroger, Papa Joe's, Holiday Market, or a very well established grocery to open in that area. Let's hope that this grocery store have competitive prices such as Rivertown Market. I hope that Lafayette Foods stay in Lafayette Park.

anecdotally, i frequent both as a LP resident. Meijer has a better produce and seafood section, but Lafayette Foods' deli is more solid, and with better prices on essential ingredients and dry goods, and low key their craft beer section is still better than Meijer's. They're also more consistent in stocking certain things, cat food and pet stuff, cleaning supplies etc. Meijer is great for the rest, and I'm happy both have their niches and seem to be coexisting fine.

just to add to a previous comment, yes I agree what was said, the produce is probably better at Meijers , but Lafayette actually holds its own in many regards. The fresh available deli food is way better at Lafayette, the Meijers basically has very little of that, Like everyone, also most of the locals , we were going to Meijers all the time when it was new , then a couple times I couldn’t find some pretty basic items and went over to Lafayette foods, and they had it stocked very well and everything was available. I thought to myself, you know he does a good job of keeping the store stocked and it was very clean, so now we split our time between the two, as they’re basically on either side of where we live which is extremely convenient. Lafayette has been extremely loyal to the neighborhood too and as a basic independent we want to keep them going, they seem to be holding their own thankfully, Meijers does well too. We’re very lucky to have them both here. The other thing I was noticing per the article that the new Corktown grocery store is only 2000+ square feet? That’s very small. Lafayette Foods I believe is about 12,000, and the Meijer's I think is around 40,000.
    Last edited by DetBill; April-14-23 at 04:07 PM.

The 2000 sq ft Corktown "grocery" sounds more like a party or specialty store, kind of like the Bagley-Trumbull Market or that market that was on Woodward not far from Mocad. It started out great but then just fizzled. Can't remember the name

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    The 2000 sq ft Corktown "grocery" sounds more like a party or specialty store, kind of like the Bagley-Trumbull Market or that market that was on Woodward not far from Mocad. It started out great but then just fizzled. Can't remember the name
    That area of Michigan Avenue deserve to have a reputable grocery store being that it's on a main artery, close to downtown, in a thriving supportive neighborhood [[Corktown), a near a very busy intersection. I would say that Kroger would had been an excellent grocery store for that location.

Quote Originally Posted by DetBill View Post
    just to add to a previous comment, yes I agree what was said, the produce is probably better at Meijers , but Lafayette actually holds its own in many regards. The fresh available deli food is way better at Lafayette, the Meijers basically has very little of that, Like everyone, also most of the locals , we were going to Meijers all the time when it was new , then a couple times I couldn’t find some pretty basic items and went over to Lafayette foods, and they had it stocked very well and everything was available. I thought to myself, you know he does a good job of keeping the store stocked and it was very clean, so now we split our time between the two, as they’re basically on either side of where we live which is extremely convenient. Lafayette has been extremely loyal to the neighborhood too and as a basic independent we want to keep them going, they seem to be holding their own thankfully, Meijers does well too. We’re very lucky to have them both here. The other thing I was noticing per the article that the new Corktown grocery store is only 2000+ square feet? That’s very small. Lafayette Foods I believe is about 12,000, and the Meijer's I think is around 40,000.
    Meijer have fresh deli food. It is true that Lafayette Foods remain fully stock because Lance make sure that the store be fully stocked and clean. Lafayette Foods in a grocery store that does what it designed to do; be a grocery store that sell groceries. Not a place where vendors gather to sell their goods. That's all a neighborhood need. Rivertown Market is opposite. They have vendors and such. I am surprised that , like Woodward Corner Market, that Rivertown Market doesn't open their windows so that people in the Cafe part could sit at the counters and enjoy fresh air and scenery. They were going to open the windows during their one year celebration so the music from the dj could be heard on the street but that never happened. If that strip mall on Lafayette want more foot traffic it should have a Leo's or National Coney Island open in that strip mall as well as another coffee shop.

Kroger said no to Detroit when they bought out Farmer Jack - Don't miss them. I'm happy to have Honey Bee, University Foods and Rivertown Mrkt
    and if necessary, Target has pet food and paper products and laundry Soap

It is interesting that Aldi's, one of the fastest growing food markets in the country, has not expanded in Detroit beyond their 2 stores on the far east side [[and one in Highland Park) that they have had here for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by preserve View Post
    Kroger said no to Detroit when they bought out Farmer Jack - Don't miss them. I'm happy to have Honey Bee, University Foods and Rivertown Mrkt
    and if necessary, Target has pet food and paper products and laundry Soap
    Kroger opened a store in 2000 on Gratiot near 7 mile rd. It was reported that the employees and customers were robbing the store blind. It closed just one year late. Mike's Market had opened in that spot and had been there for 20 years with no reported incidents of shoplifting or employees ripping the store off.Kroger don't miss us Detroiters. Honey Bees is a long distance from Michigan and Trumbull if you are on foot and live in Corktown or downtown

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Kroger opened a store in 2000 on Gratiot near 7 mile rd. It was reported that the employees and customers were robbing the store blind. It closed just one year late. Mike's Market had opened in that spot and had been there for 20 years with no reported incidents of shoplifting or employees ripping the store off.Kroger don't miss us Detroiters. Honey Bees is a long distance from Michigan and Trumbull if you are on foot and live in Corktown or downtown
    It's 0.8 mile from Honeybee to Michigan and Trumbull, so it's not far from Corktown but it would be a long hike from downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    So what is the difference of petty crime between Kroger's to Mike's Market on E. 7 Mile Rd. And Gratiot Ave? Simple, Security. Kroger's should have though of it.

When Meijer's arrived in Detroit, they were hot and ready for robbing riff-raffs. One main entrance with security checks and their shopping carts with remote locks along with outside O.C.P. security patrols will keep their business open.

Meijer Corps. opening a supercenter and a market in Detroit hoods will be risky but they are contributing the community more than Kroger's Target and even K-Mart. Wal-Mart is just to scared too set up shop in Detroit at this time. Today it's Meijer's turf.
    Last edited by Danny; April-20-23 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    So what is the difference of petty crime between Kroger's to Mike's Market on E. 7 Mile Rd. And Gratiot Ave? Simple, Security. Kroger's should have though of it.

When Meijer's arrived in Detroit, they were hot and ready for robbing riff-raffs. One main entrance with security checks and their shopping carts with remote locks along with outside O.C.P. security patrols will keep their business open.

Meijer Corps. opening a supercenter and a market in Detroit hoods will be risky but they are contributing the community more than Kroger's Target and even K-Mart. Wal-Mart is just to scared too set up shop in Detroit at this time. Today it's Meijer's turf.
    Wal-Mart is being looted blind in Chicago. I dint blame them for not opening in Detroit

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    It is interesting that Aldi's, one of the fastest growing food markets in the country, has not expanded in Detroit beyond their 2 stores on the far east side [[and one in Highland Park) that they have had here for many years.
    I find Aldi's store placement inscrutable, and not just in Detroit. For example, there are no Aldi's inside Boston at all, and only one relatively nearby. However, there are Aldi's all around the periphery of Detroit. I use the one in Ferndale all the time.

I don't remember what it was like downtown or in nearby areas, but I remember Great Scott/Big D/Chatham at Greenfield and Puritan and three stores including A&P at Grand River/Fenkell/Southfield. Pretty sure there was another at Greenfield/Grand River or maybe a bit further south towards Schoolcraft.

More down GR towards Oakman and up Greenfield at 7 Mile. Several independents also. One on Schoolcraft east of Southfield somewhere, maybe an early Danny's?

Grocery stores were everywhere at one time.