Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Cities that require residency for department heads

Hello all,

been a long time since I've posted on here [[before the new format, as a matter of fact), but I'm hoping someone out there might be able to guide me in the right direction...

I am doing a research project for a class at WSU wherein I have to discuss cities that do, or have in the past required public employees to live within city limits [[or in a certain distance from the borders). Does anyone know if there are any Michigan public acts that required this, or if there are any cities that currently require these residency requirements for city employees [[or have in the past)?

At a loss where to start looking for this information, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Residency requirements are no longer allowed under state law. Before the law was changed, many cities had such laws including Detroit. The law in question:

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-Act-212-of-1999

I would contact the Citizens Research Council for more details:

http://crcmich.org/

and research the back issues of the Freep and Detroit News back when the law was changed for more info.