Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2023 Tigers

Default 2023 Tigers

Not sure if there's already a thread on this, I wasn't able to find it.

It seems like this team still needs a thumper or two. The roster doesn't look real promising to me. Hopefully Torkelson starts to hit, and Greene shows some power. I can't tolerate another season of Baez swinging at pitches two feet off the plate, low and outside.

Basically, I just hope the team is watchable this year, is that asking too much?

Honestly I think anything less than 100 losses would be a "good year." I think Scott Harris is the right guy to turn the organization around but it's going to take a bit of time to undo the mess Avila created.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    Basically, I just hope the team is watchable this year, is that asking too much?
    It is with Shepard & Co. still blathering.

Tigers blanked by Rays in season opener

One down 161 to go!

Quote Originally Posted by slick View Post
    Tigers blanked by Rays in season opener

One down 161 to go!
    22 in '22 - 23 in '23? [[times they were shutout)

Well they moved the fences in for them but this season looks grim.

Other than Miggy, a shadow of his former glory on a farewell tour, who is this team? I’ve never started a season with more unknown players salvaged from the scrapyards of baseball. And if any of them blossom they’ll be gone by the trade deadline. Unfortunately, unless there are some miracle breakouts, several of them, the goal will be like it was last season—avoid 100 losses.

It seems like this team still needs a thumper or two. The roster doesn't look real promising to me. Hopefully Torkelson starts to hit, and Greene shows some power. I can't tolerate another season of Baez swinging at pitches two feet off the plate, low and outside.

Watched today's game here in Las Vegas via cable. Time for EVERYONE to quit going to the ball park. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Watched today's game here in Las Vegas via cable. Time for EVERYONE to quit going to the ball park. Period.
    Dejavu with the team and the comments.

Three games, three losses and only three runs total. A home run in the 9th saved them from a second shut out. Phew.

Ray, you know misery loves company. . . ...Tigers are 0-3 & opening day will sellout w/fans buying $12 cups of stale butt-lite.

This team doesn't look any different or better than last year's team.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Ray, you know misery loves company. . . ...Tigers are 0-3 & opening day will sellout w/fans buying $12 cups of stale butt-lite.
    Opening Day isn't about baseball, its about getting so drunk in the morning before the game that losing 15-2 doesn't matter.

While I look forward to scooping up some super cheap tickets in the middle of July and enjoying the sunshine, it's getting really tiresome not having much to cheer for in Detroit sports, outside of the Lions. Yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Opening Day isn't about baseball, its about getting so drunk in the morning before the game that losing 15-2 doesn't matter.

While I look forward to scooping up some super cheap tickets in the middle of July and enjoying the sunshine, it's getting really tiresome not having much to cheer for in Detroit sports, outside of the Lions. Yikes.
    Only two days matter on the Detroit sports calendar - ping pong ball day and draft day.

With the season only a week and a half old, it's a little too soon to get puked out by the Tigers play so far. However, last season they were out of it by the middle of May. Be nice if this year isn't like last year - really hoping they can get this thing turned around soon.

Oh sigh! Tigers know to how to lose games, than winning games.

Lost all 3 opening home games & sunk quickly to last place. . . ...welcome to a very-long 2023 season.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Lost all 3 opening home games & sunk quickly to last place. . . ...welcome to a very-long 2023 season.
    First time I've heard Hinch sound so frustrated and it's only 9 games. Basically said what everybody sees - can't throw strikes, can't stay in the zone with the bats and miss cookies when they get them. Toledo is much deeper this year but it's still a bunch of AAAA guys until they prove otherwise. Lot of rotation in and out of the line-up likely this year.

So far this looks like the 2019 team that lost 114 games. They're just not very interesting to watch, and I say that as a season ticket holder since 1999.

Well, just quit going. When attendance gets down to the 100 mark, then things will change. Oh, forgot about the season ticket holders. Thanks to you yahoos, attendance will always be okay.

This season will be nothing more than "The Miguel Cabrera Farewell Tour"

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    This season will be nothing more than "The Miguel Cabrera Farewell Tour"
    The city and team sure are playing this up. I guess because they want to draw attention away from the actual team as much as possible but I don't think fans in other cities could care less. Most think he stopped playing 5 years ago.

Well, just quit going. When attendance gets down to the 100 mark, then things will change. Oh, forgot about the season ticket holders. Thanks to you yahoos, attendance will always be okay.
    You know the season ticket base is one of the lowest in the league right?The Tigers won't release it but most estimates are around 3,000.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    The city and team sure are playing this up. I guess because they want to draw attention away from the actual team as much as possible but I don't think fans in other cities could care less. Most think he stopped playing 5 years ago.
    I think that the sooner the Tigers get rid of the shadow of Miggy the better off the Tigers will be. This is a baseball team playing in a baseball season trying to compete - this isn't the side show of a circus. The guy is now a grossly overweight former power hitter reduced to hitting singles. They're not supposed to be paying him to hit base hits.

Is he the greatest Tiger player of all time? Yes, I suppose he would be considered superior to Al Kaline or Ty Cobb. Did he ever take the team to the promised land? In my opinion, he did not. I think he left it on the table in the 2006 World Series, or maybe he left it in the bottle.

I think he left it on the table in the 2006 World Series, or maybe he left it in the bottle.
    Miggy was playing for the Marlins in 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    You know the season ticket base is one of the lowest in the league right?The Tigers won't release it but most estimates are around 3,000.
    Never would guess it's that low, but, look at their record & empty seats. At 3,000 - if my decision, Miggy would have been collecting at home at least the past 2-years to motivate & advance younger "hungry" players without the elephant in the room.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast