Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Detroit Restaurant Week 27Bucks per person

Organizers of the first Detroit Restaurant Week have unveiled the official list of participating restaurants for the 10-day event from Sept. 18-27.

Seventeen fine dining restaurants will be offering a three course meal for $27, excluding tax and beverages. Many restaurants also will offer specially-priced wine and beverage pairings to accompany the meal.

Participating restaurants include: 24Grille, Andiamo Detroit Riverfront, Atlas Global Bistro, Coach Insignia, Cuisine, Da Edoardo Foxtown Grille, Detroit Fish Market, Forty-Two Degrees North, Iridescence, Mosaic Restaurant, Opus One, Rattlesnake Club, Roast, Saltwater, Seldom Blues, The Whitney and Wolfgang Puck Grille.

“We are very pleased to have downtown Detroit’s top tier restaurants involved in this exciting new promotion,” said Sandy Levine, restaurant liaison for Detroit Restaurant Week in a press release.

In addition, Detroit’s Eastern Market will offer special Detroit Restaurant Week culinary demonstrations each Saturday morning from Aug. 22 to Sept. 26.

http://www.detroitmakeithere.com/art...908179989/1036

I may have to take advantage of this.

Detroit is a restaurant town. I can't wait for this.

crawford Guest

Is that supposed to be cheap? That's an ok deal, but still $90 for two [[including drinks, tax and tip).

We're in a terrible recession folks. Bring that price down a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by crawford View Post
    Is that supposed to be cheap? That's an ok deal, but still $90 for two [[including drinks, tax and tip).

Well, one solution is don't drink. But to say this isn't a deal is being unreasonable. It's a heck of a deal for these places considering the cost of an average meal usually.

These are Detroit's high end restaurants. It's not Applebees. If you can't afford it, don't go. They'll close and we can start a thread on how detroit can't support high end restaurants.

Coach insignia alone is 55bucks per person. Easy! Thats one heck of a deal for these restaurants!

Quote Originally Posted by crawford View Post

$90 for two is on-par with a lot of upscale suburban chain restaurants. Rather than go to one of them, I can go to a unique Detroit restaurant for a comparable price. Not to say I wouldn't anyhow - but it will hopefully entice a lot of people who might not otherwise.

Just found out the wife made reservations at Cuisine for this weekend. I'm really excited. That and Tour de Troit will make this a great weekend in the city.

Twenty-seven bucks for a three-course dinner is a BARGAIN!!! Makes me hungry just thinking about it.

Default Well?

I'm doing Cuisine on Thursday and Saltwater on Friday. Where have you been??

I hope it gets folks out to check out places they might not have otherwise.

A couple of colleagues have persuaded me to join them at Iridesence on Friday. It should be good.

My wife and I went to Cuisine on Sunday. The food was excellent and the price was just right. I spent $79 total. You can't beat that. We plan on going to two other participating restaurants before the end of the week. The only problem is deciding on which two.

Ate at Coach Insignia - wonderful time. Restaurant was fairly crowded. Total, with a drink a piece for the two of us was $75. Not bad at all. Hoping to make it to Iridescense as well

Blarf Guest

$27 for ONE meal? No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bjones521 View Post
    Coach insignia alone is 55bucks per person. Easy! Thats one heck of a deal for these restaurants!
    Wow. Have they forgot it's only food? That's a lot of meals in the grocery store.

If you're a foodie, this a huge deal. My wife and I are lucky if we'd make reservations at one of the places on the list per year, and I imagine the bill for a three course dinner would probably be around $125-150.

We ate at the Rattlesnake Club last weekend. I had the steak, she had the lobster. Two wines, plus a nice tip and the bill came to $91. Worth it, considering the quality of the food, the service, and the ambience.

This week, we're headed with a group to Cuisine on Friday night, and then going by ourselves to Irridescence on Saturday.

Yes, that's a lot of money to spend, but a heckuva deal at the same time.

This is a fantastic deal for a top notch fine dining experience that would normally cost more like $50 per person not including alcohol. My wife and I ate at Opus One Monday evening and it was great, as usual. It was also completely packed, which was nice to see. Mayor Bing was even there!

Last night my wife and I dined at Opus One for the first time. It was our second night out during Restaurant Week. We went there with every intention of taking advantage of the DRW special. However, after reviewing the menu, we found that we could order entrées for less than $27. I ordered the pan seared chicken for $19 and spinach risotto for $6. My wife ordered the hanger steak for $23. We both had a glass of wine that put our meal came to $68 with tax. Our meal was excellent so I think we made the right choice passing on the 3 course "taste". I hope everyone will take this week to experience some of Detroit's dining gems.

Default One great and one decent Restaurant Week experience

First off, the $27 is a bargain for starter, entree and dessert at a fine-dining restaurant.
    On Friday, we went to Wolfgang Puck's. Really, really good. We were actually blown away by it -- we are big roast fans. Great soup and salad, AMAZING steaks and fries, and amazing dobos torte dessert. We sat in the bar.
    On Saturday we went with friends to 42 degrees or whatever the restaurant was in the Ren Cen Marriott. Beautiful room with weird service. We were told to come back at 930 _ we got there at 9 _ because it was full. When we were seated the restaurant was 75 percent empty! Still the food was good, although my wife's fillet was luke-warm. Probably under the heat lamp too long.
    The best thing about this promotion for us, is it allowed us to check out some places we normally wouldn't go. For the restaurants, it gave folks a teaser and a reason to return. We'll go back to Wolfgang Puck's and order full fare. While 42 degrees was decent, it wasn't decent enough to drop the $150 for a full meal.
    This is a great concept!

If these type of innovative ideas are successful they will happen much more often. Greater varieties will also ensue to meet unmet demand. Kudos to those of you, when able, who have or are going to give it a try. In these small ways [[not really small ), Detroit business and patrons are showing they listen and can be creative.
    Last edited by vetalalumni; September-23-09 at 10:27 PM. Reason: edit

Ravine Guest

Absolutely, the $27 is a great deal.
    Unfortunately, I will miss out; I'm still in Family Man Multiplier Mode and in my case, the Multiplier is 3, so where it says "$27," I see "$81."
    Still, it's a great idea, and a big Ravine Thumbs-Up to the participating restaurants.

It's apparently been a hit, and they're thinking of doing it again in spring.

http://freep.com/article/20090925/EN...-events-a-year

Went to Cuisine last night. It was superb, and I spent a lot less than I would have there ordinarily [[not that I can afford to go there ordinarily).

I went to Iridescense tonight with a couple of colleagues. Unfortunately, I was disappointed. We had 7 pm reservations, but didn't get seated until almost 8 pm. The food was undercooked & cold by the time it got served.

I'm told that this project has been so successful, there are plans to have the event twice next year. I have a friend who has gone to a different place every night.

Cuisine was packed when we went. They're pros, and they served up dishes that were easy to make in quantity [[I noticed that a lot of places had beef short rib meat). It was terrific. But I did wonder how places that usually serve maybe a dozen tables at a time would do when they suddenly had to deal with 60 people.

I went to the Telway last night expecting something special. As hard as I tried I could not eat $27 worth of food. Ended up giving some to a hooker.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast