Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Car manfacturing plant at Picquette and Beaubien?

Can anyone give me information on this site? I believe it is a refurbished car museum now. Was it a Ford plant? What is the surrounding area like - reasonably safe for a walking tour?

Blarf Guest

I believe the first Model-T plant. The area is pretty safe to walk around.

It's in the New Center Area. You'll be relatively safe during the day. Most of the street lights are inoperable [[east of Woodward) at night.

Isn't the big lot west of the Ford plant the former site of the Studebaker plant? Fisher 21 is on the opposite side of Piquette and a little further down. I believe the large complex just east of the Ford plant is another Fisher facility, 23 maybe? I think it was home to the Regal Motorcar Co. before that. If you travel all the way down Piquette to Russell there's a bunch of old Packards in that lot on the north side. That's a little street with a ton of industrial history.

What is the bridge [[or overhead rail tracks) further down Beaubien at the far end of the Picquette Ford plant? Is it still in use?

LodgeDodger Guest

Okay, who is the wise guy?!?

Milwaukee Junction. And yes, it is still in use.

As far as tours in that area--you're safe.

That plant on Piquette is the T-plex, a Model T museum that was purchased a few years back. http://www.tplex.org/

Great tours for $10. Currently they are only open 1st and 3rd Saturday during the warmer months. There is plenty of parking inside the complex, no need to park on the street.

I've been wanting to get a tour of it for a while now. That historical marker infront of it I don't think has been up very long.

I did a tour of the T-Plex this summer, and would highly recommend it.

The lot next to the Piquette Plant was the site of the Studebaker plant. On that site, there is now construction for the building of a center to help homeless veterans.

I have some great photos from the Piquette Plant. I was there again this past Saturday. I'm trying to attach one of them, but have not yet attempted a file attachment on d-yes.

I can't remember if it's on Brush or Beaubien, but if you look at the north side of one of those railroad overpasses, you can still see the name, "Michigan Central." Obviously the bridge han't been painted since the 1920's.

Only one of the railroad overpasses is in use. I can't remember which, but in the old days they used to be run by the Pennsy and the NY Central.