Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Downtown Detroit Development Plans of Gilbert and Ilitch Compared [by ChatGPT]

If you haven’t heard about ChatGPT, the AI [Artificial Intelligence] neural network that is taking the internet by storm, sending shock waves threatening Google’s search dominance, jobs and more, here you go.

I asked ChatGPT to compare and critique the downtown Detroit plans of Dan Gilbert to those of the Ilitch organization. In fifteen seconds the following was the result. Welcome? to the biggest thing to hit the internet since, well, the internet itself. Thoughts?

Dan Gilbert and the Ilitch Organization have both made significant contributions to the revitalization of downtown Detroit, but their plans have some key differences in terms of focus, scale, public-private partnerships, and community engagement.

Focus: The Ilitch Organization has focused primarily on developing a new sports and entertainment district anchored by the Little Caesars Arena, while Gilbert has focused on developing a more diverse mix of commercial, residential, and retail spaces throughout downtown. This difference in focus reflects the different priorities and goals of the two organizations.

Scale: While both organizations have made substantial investments in the city, Gilbert's Bedrock real estate company owns more than 100 properties in the downtown area, while the Ilitch Organization has concentrated its development around the arena district. This difference in scale may reflect different strategies for achieving their goals, but it also means that Gilbert has a broader impact on the city as a whole.

Public-private partnerships: Both Gilbert and the Ilitch Organization have worked closely with city and state officials to secure public funding and incentives for their development projects. However, Gilbert has been more vocal about his desire for a more business-friendly environment in Detroit, while the Ilitch Organization has tended to focus on the positive impact of their investments on the community. This difference in approach may reflect different views on the role of business in community development.

Community engagement: Both organizations have made efforts to engage with the local community and solicit feedback on their development plans. However, Gilbert has been more vocal about his commitment to diversity and inclusion in the workforce and has worked to establish partnerships with minority-owned businesses in the area. This may reflect a more comprehensive approach to community development that goes beyond the physical revitalization of the downtown area.

Critique: While both Gilbert and the Ilitch Organization have made significant contributions to the revitalization of downtown Detroit, there are some criticisms of their plans. Some critics argue that the focus on downtown development has not addressed the needs of surrounding neighborhoods, particularly those that have been historically disadvantaged. Others argue that the public-private partnerships that have funded these projects have not always been transparent and may have favored large corporations over small businesses and community organizations.

Overall, the downtown Detroit plans of Dan Gilbert and the Ilitch Organization have had a positive impact on the city, but there are also valid criticisms of their strategies and priorities. To ensure that the revitalization of downtown Detroit benefits the entire community, it will be important to continue to engage with residents and stakeholders in a transparent and inclusive way.

From what I can gather is AÍ scans the internet and reads everything related to a particular subject,if something as a majority that has been put out by the media contains a bias as a majority it only outputs based in what the input is.

What it discovered in this is pretty well known,the two have totally different objectives,some agree and some disagree,every city in the past that has successfully recovered from its past has had the same problem with concentrating on the downtown while forgetting about the surrounding neighborhoods.

It used to be worse,the fist thing they used to do was concentrate solely on the commercial aspect,which drove up costs and pushed the residential out of the downtown core,then they had to come back and put the residential in at a very high cost,so then only high incomes could afford to live there.

Recently city planners have learned from those mistakes,I do not see it being repeated in Detroit because they are combining residential and commercial at the same time in the downtown core.

The problem is you build the core up with incentives,so then the surrounding neighborhoods have to not only cover the core basics,they also have to cover their own,in essence paying twice the amount to stay even then more to start rebuilding the outer rings.

No matter how much you build the downtown core,there is plenty of proof out there that shows,without the outer rings that help support the downtown core,there becomes a point of stagnation in the inner core.

Catch 22

The interesting thing about chat AÍ is it replaces smart people,so instead of going into debt with student loans while becoming really smart,they can start flipping burgers earlier,because they are now obsolete.

It places a 6 year old with AÍ chat and a cell phone at the same level as a Harvard graduate.

They do not need to have or retain the knowledge when within a matter of seconds they have access to it.

I blame it on holiday express.

It’s interesting and sad at the same time,the father of AÍ Alan Turing,who laid the seeds for it during WW2 inventing it and the computer,was forcefully castorated because he was gay and committed suicide.

He saved the world and spent a lifetime of persecution for it as his reward.
    Last edited by Richard; March-17-23 at 01:13 PM.

ChatGPT passed the bar exam in the 90th percentile. A lot of people criticize it for its flaws, and there are many, to which I reply, “Yeah, but not bad for a two year old, eh? Wait until it is a grown up.”

Yea it’s insane,we used to build stuff that made our life easier,now it is about building stuff to actually replace us.

They built fighter jet autonomous with AI that outperformed pilots and had 100% kill rate in a dog fight.

Starbucks has fully autonomous coffee shops base on AÍ ,every cup is made precisely the exact same way everytime.

Amazone with fully autonomous warehouses,robots with AÍ as their manager.

Fast food restaurants the same way,from cooking the food to serving it with zero human intervention.

Japan,you do not even need a wife anymore,AI driven robots that look and feel human,they do the dishes,laundry,cleaning and cooking,and even wash the car and take out the trash,can even provide that other service if one was so inclined.

Thats stuff happening now.

Sense we are all being replaced,where is everybody going to work in order to buy all the products and services after all of this has removed us from the equations.

Imagine a Discuss Detroit fórum,where AÍ gets together and has its own subjects and discussions,we are not even invited to the discussion at that point.

We build products with planned obsolescence,while all along we are the ones that are planning our own obsolescence.

I am a believer of,just because we can,does not necessarily equate into we should.

The goal is to provide products and services devoid of human intervention in the process.

Any volunteers for that first pilotless international flight?
    Last edited by Richard; March-17-23 at 02:14 PM.

A Twilight Zone episode examined the practice of replacing workers with computers and machines. The owner of the factory was so hell bent on replacing all the workers because he felt that humans were inefficient. In the end the computers determined that he was inefficient and replaced him. The movie "Terminator 2: Judgement Day" describes what happens next. It's been nice knowing all of you.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    A Twilight Zone episode examined the practice of replacing workers with computers and machines. The owner of the factory was so hell bent on replacing all the workers because he felt that humans were inefficient. In the end the computers determined that he was inefficient and replaced him....
    Abridged:

Twilight Zone S05 E33 - The Brain Center at Whipple's

Saw a video yesterday where it had already hacked humans to get them to do work for the AI.

The AI was wanting to get into a website and couldn't do the Captcha, so it contacted support and told them it was a vision impaired human, and tricked the human on the other end to do the Captcha for it.

I think in 1-2 years we're gonna be in trouble.

If it ever gets to the point where it can figure out how to prevent itself from being unplugged, we're may be looking at full Terminator Skynet.

Get back to me when it can unplug a stuffed up toilet.

I dislike AI programs. It will become self-aware in the future and destroy us all.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    The AI was wanting to get into a website and couldn't do the Captcha, so it contacted support and told them it was a vision impaired human, and tricked the human on the other end to do the Captcha for it.
    That AI must have been been awfully ignorant. AI's have been cracking Captcha's including "I am not a robot" for years now. I had to end form-based registration to this site because they blew through both challenge forms and were flooding the site with bogus registrations.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    ...AI's have been cracking Captcha's including "I am not a robot" for years now....
    Somewhere I heard/read that those image Captchas were really only a way to trick humans into training AI to correctly associate words and images. After that I deliberately failed every image Captcha I encountered.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Get back to me when it can unplug a stuffed up toilet.
    It probably can by excessing the sewage treatment centers computer,send a pressurized reverse sewage flow to your address and blast the blockage out.

Sounds crazy but I had an over seas customer that had a house here in a cul de sac,the sewer blocked up in the street,so every time the neighbors took a shower or used the toilet,it flowed directly into his house … for months

“In practice, I spend my days writing text-based prompts, which I can't reveal due to my NDA, that I feed into the back end of the AI tools so they can do things such generate a blog post that is high quality, grammatically correct, and factually accurate.”

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/i...110000475.html

So who checks the fact checkers,AI still needs human input,it could be a very powerful tool in the conditioning of minds in the future,look at how many already believe that because they read it on the internet it is true.

So if the majority of news sources prints an article,AI will pick that up as a majority in order to base a decision,it is not actually going behind to the source and verifying it,it’s input in output out.

So if in an article somebody writes,so and so said bite me,does AÍ actually phone that person up and verify it? Doubt it,it would pick up across the internet that so and so said bite me and then give that as a result of being fact,because it has been verified that somebody wrote it,but not that somebody actually said it.

I think it is funny that you have to verify that you are a human in order to use the thing,is AÍ afraid of other computers or non humans?

Their disclaimer

While we have safeguards in place, the system may occasionally generate incorrect or misleading information and produce offensive or biased content. It is not intended to give advice

Limitations

• May occasionally generate incorrect information
    • May occasionally produce harmful instructions or biased content
    • Limited knowledge of world and events after 2021

And of course I just could not resist

As an AI language model, I don't hold political opinions and cannot make subjective judgments about whether any individual made a "good" or "bad" president. However, I can provide some information about President ***mps time in office.

and it went on with paragraphs filled with subjective judgements.

It’s kinda like discovering Siri for the first time time and start asking her or it all of those questions just to see what the answers will be.
    Last edited by Richard; March-20-23 at 01:14 AM.

I've been playing with AI image generation, text generation, and the backends that power them for a few months [[for those interested, Torch and Tensorflow, along with Diffusion for a few things.)

GPT works like this:

You type in something for it to react to. It looks at the words in your text and looks them up in it's database of concepts. The words that have the "heaviest" value, usually nouns and verbs, it grabs seed values from in it's database. It uses those seeds to start writing text, propagating those seeds back through it's neural network to look for the next word to use.

It does this word-for-word. It bases it's initial words on the seeds you provide, then the next words based on the seeds of the previous words.

It's pure textual analysis. That is, it has absolutely no understanding of what it's actually saying. It's putting words together in a certain order because a whole bunch of people had put words together in a similar order.

This technique has been around for a long time. What's making it work eerily well these days are the GPUs that AMD and nVidia are producing, that can crank through the calculations needed much faster than before, and handle much larger databases of concepts. There have been expert systems that do the same kind of thing since the 1980's, but they were limited to *very* specific domains of knowledge - like the symptoms for communicable diseases, or outcomes in legal contract cases.

The story of this novel, written via Ouija board, allegedly by a dead Mark Twain has some parallels with this thread.

Jap Herron: A Novel written from the Ouija Board {1917}