Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 2023 Detroit Lions

In the first day of free agency the Lions make a big change at running back with Jamaal Williams out and David Montgomery brought in. Brad Holmes it would appear is quite comfortable assuming the risk of replacing a fan favorite. It will make for a interesting off season to see what else he is willing to shake up.

Willams signed with the Saints for 3 yrs, 12 mil. He's doing a good job re-building the Lions. Brought in two corners, re-signed Isiah Buggs, the only move I was skeptical about was bringing back Anzalone who Holmes says is a good lockerroom and culture guy. Guess what? so was Jamaal Williams and he's gone to the Saints. He plays with passion, but gets beat a lot and misses tackles. They've could have done better signing another more athletic LB.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; March-16-23 at 05:52 AM.

There are two positions that Holmes seems to put a low value on compared to the rest of the team: Tight end and Linebackers. For both, he appears fine with them being 'adequate', and investing just enough resources to get them to that level. It seems he'd rather allocate his blue chip resources to the surrounding units, in hopes that they become the primary playmakers, allowing the tight ends and linebackers to basically become assistants.

I like what Holmes has done so far. He's filling holes so that he doesn't have to go into the draft having to target certain positions. So many teams get caught in the trap of reaching for a player because they have a vacancy, leaving more talented players to fall into the waiting hands of a more well rounded and patient team. He's truly building this team for long term success.

gonna miss Jamaal "First Swag Kazekage" Williams. Detroit paid $18m for 3y for guy from the Bears, JW signed with the Saints for $12m for 3y. I don't get it. this newcomer better come through with plays and charisma.

Quote Originally Posted by ABetterDetroit View Post
    In the first day of free agency the Lions make a big change at running back with Jamaal Williams out and David Montgomery brought in. Brad Holmes it would appear is quite comfortable assuming the risk of replacing a fan favorite. It will make for a interesting off season to see what else he is willing to shake up.
    IMHO it's a good move going with a younger RB as they begin to decline in performance after age 27. And BTW David Montgomery is a highly rated RB.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    IMHO it's a good move going with a younger RB as they begin to decline in performance after age 27. And BTW David Montgomery is a highly rated RB.
    I am fine with the move. I am surprised the Bears let Montgomery walk considering the abundant cap space they have. He should thrive behind the Lions O-line vs Chicagos which has been terrible during his time there and probably is a contributing factor in him becoming available. No doubt he is a solid 3 down back if necessary, saying that doesn’t mean the Lions will use him that way but he is a horse just the same with better than average RB hands.

I am of the opinion that once players are off the discount of a rookie contract that improvement at a position can almost always be attained getting the most performance for the dollar amount considering that the NFL operates under a hard salary cap. Like I stated in my first post I am happy to see that Brad Holmes is willing to make those moves and disregard what fans think. Losing teams parade their fan favorites out to keep fans interested. Winning teams fans never look back and morn who they let walk, released, or traded when the winning continues.

You'll be amazed at how quickly Montgomery could become a fan favorite if he rips off a couple of 150 yard games.

From what I read, Williams and Cominsky both wanted to check out the market, so Holmes put offers on the table, but with a clear deadline. Cominsky signed before the deadline. Williams did not.

Fans can lament that Jamaal won't be here, but should also appreciate that Holmes wasn't going to risk the Lions potentially taking a step back at a key position.

Brad Holmes has filled a lot of positions of need through free agency. I really like bringing Glasgow back because of his ability to play Center & Guard. He's going to help us whether he ends up starting or not.

What happens now with the draft is a bit of a mystery. He certainly has given himself a lot of options. I don't see the Lions drafting DT Carter. If he's had his eye on a particular QB, take him if he's available. If not, trading down is an option. There's 3 or 4 DL that can help us besides Carter, one should be available, and we'll get some more draft capital for the future. Pick # 18 is even more of a mystery.

Have to give the NFL some credit. They've got fans paying attention year-round these days.

Side benefit... Getting Montgomery also strips a division rival of a great running back.

Lions sign former Eagles safety C.J. Gardner Johnson to a 1 yr 8 million dollar deal. Brad Holmes doing work. Good move?

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Lions sign former Eagles safety C.J. Gardner Johnson to a 1 yr 8 million dollar deal. Brad Holmes doing work. Good move?
    He'll definitely help them improve the secondary. Sounds like he got a multi-year offer from the Eagles. He wasn't happy with it, thought he could do better, and found that he'd misjudged the market.

The biggest risk with him is that he's one of those that is often unhappy with his team for some reason or another. Since he played for the Saints when Campbell and Glenn were on staff, hopefully they can keep him focused.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    ...The biggest risk with him is that he's one of those that is often unhappy with his team for some reason or another. Since he played for the Saints when Campbell and Glenn were on staff, hopefully they can keep him focused.
    If he's disruptive, then the front office can simply move him to the practice squad or fire him. I doubt that the Lions will tolerate a prima donna.

I hope the Lions don't pick Jalen Carter because IMHO he's gonna' have psychological issues as a result of the car accident. Too risky...

DJ Chark: Should have signed. . . ...

Nate Sudfeld: Should not have signed. . . ...

Great job overall in free agency & renegotiating existing contracts [[Vaitai, Okwara) - lets hope the same for the upcoming draft?
    Last edited by Smirnoff; March-25-23 at 05:53 AM.

Jamaal Williams will be missed - he was a touchdown machine. Tough to find a replacement for that guy. I also liked D.J Chark a lot. I do have trust and confidence in Brad Holmes though, if he hits on all four of these high draft picks coming up, who knows?

It's been a long time, maybe never in my lifetime, that the Lions were predicted to win their division. More pressure on them this year, then previously when they were usually were no lofty expectations for this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    ...Nate Sudfeld: Should not have signed...
    I hope the Lion's pick Purdue’s Aidan O’Connell if he's available in the second round.

Pro Day News and Rumors: Purdue's Aidan O'Connell Drawing Interest From Raiders, Rams, and More? [[profootballnetwork.com)

Re-signing Marvin Jones & trading Jeff Okaduh are two of the smartest moves this Spring by Brad Holmes, hands-down!

I hate that Okaduh for a 5th round pick trade. He was good against the run. He was injury prone, but he showed up to play.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I hate that Okaduh for a 5th round pick trade. He was good against the run. He was injury prone, but he showed up to play.
    He was likely to not be signed to an extension so I agree with getting something instead of nothing for him. I would have preferred a 4th or better pick but still, a 5 will package well with other picks to move up for a third 1st round pick. So far we have no reason not to trust Brad Holmes.

I would have picked up the option so he would’ve had to produce hard for a big free agent payday this year if all that was offered was a fifth rounder. This team needs more wins now while a window is open. Patience is not something the Lions have in abundance. At the end of the day we don’t know what is in Okudah’s head. Brad Holmes does, so in him we will have to trust that this was the best option even if depth in the secondary will suffer.
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; April-11-23 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    He never should have been picked that high, in the first place. Just shows the incompetence of the previous regime. I'm glad they finally have an adult in the room.

Still need a backup QB that can "win" in case Goff gets injured, drafting a "rookie" QB to "step-up" will only lead to failure, the 49'ers were pure lucky with Purdy who then ultimately went down in the NFC Championship Game. . . ...

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    He never should have been picked that high, in the first place. Just shows the incompetence of the previous regime...
    OTOH the Falcons are ecstatic and think he's a keeper???

reddit poster CamBoBB says:
    8 hr. ago

What I’m scared of is the Lions being the final piece of the Armageddon puzzle when we make the SB, and WW3 starts at halftime.

Couldn't find to post it, but my favorite article this off-season was from a guy who praised every move the Lions made this off-season, but ended it with a paragraph mentioning, "Are we sure we're not being set-up to be kicked in the balls by this team yet again?"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast