Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Beavers Return to Detroit

First turkeys return, now beavers. Bears next? Interesting read about beavers on Belle Isle and Connors Creek. Good? Bad? Or just amusing? Anyone seen them?

Why are they returning to the area?

According to Robert Burns, Detroit River Keeper with the Friends of Detroit River group, populations are increasing because areas are more habitable to the species.
    “We've noticed in the last 10 to 15 years that there are more beavers starting to move to the area,” Burns said. “From a habitat perspective and an indicator perspective, it shows that things are changing in the river that are conducive for various populations to start to reform and increase.”
    https://lbus6do-cdn.newsmemory.com?p...ff451f_134aace

I remember LeDuff doing a story on the Rouge a few years back and IIRC they found at least one beaver dam.

I've seen one a couple of times on Belle Isle, swimming across the water intake bypass channel. There's been one creating havoc on the Fox Creek this winter.

They could have used a good beaver dam at the Livingston Light House a few years ago before high water levels came into the lagoons of Belle Isle and killed all the trees at the swampy east end of the island.

A good way to gauge beaver presence is to look for half-gnawed trees. They're pretty easy to spot.

Detroit should be able too on return to its roots and get a good fur trade going again at this rate.

I haven't seen one in Detroit proper yet, but I have seen them on Erie and near the mouth of the Detroit River. We've also had at least one in Milford for the last few years. This past Fall it started turning a pedestrian bridge I use over a small creek into a dam and flooded out the hiking trail.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; March-15-23 at 10:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    I haven't seen one in Detroit proper yet, but I have seen them on Erie and near the mouth of the Detroit River. We've also had at least one in Milford for the last few years. This past Fall it started turning a pedestrian bridge I use over a small creek into a dam and flooded out the hiking trail.

Leave it to beaver.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    First turkeys return, now beavers. Bears next? Interesting read about beavers on Belle Isle and Connors Creek. Good? Bad? Or just amusing? Anyone seen them?

Broken link.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post

In general, good. Toronto has literally hundreds of beavers. I was out hiking the Leslie Street Spit in Toronto earlier in winter, and saw more than 1/2 a dozen of them, in one walk.

That said, they will absolutely cut down trees of their preferred variety, particularly Poplar, and Aspen.

You really need them to be in a natural area where there is rapid re-growth of trees and lots of mature ones of types that don't interest beavers; or you have to protect some trees with guards/cages. Toronto does this. [[as do many other places).

There can be a risk of flooding as well from dams, but it really depends on the location. Beavers are not going to dam the Detroit River. There, if present, they would likely just building a den in the embankment somewhere. But in smaller river/creek/stream, that is a material risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Broken link.
    Here's a link to a Freep story from 2 days ago:

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...t/69968638007/

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Visitor View Post
    ...Beavers are not going to dam the Detroit River....
    That made me chuckle. They'd have to be pretty damn large to do that.

It might make a good cheesy sci-fi movie though. Beware the radioactive beavers!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    That made me chuckle. They'd have to be pretty damn large to do that.

It might make a good cheesy sci-fi movie though. Beware the radioactive beavers!

Not only would they have to be large, it would have to be thousands of them and the Detroit River is too big and too deep.

Name:  705670EE-BA1C-4D10-9613-859B51E18B6D.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  209.3 KB

Name:  D81D9E6D-AA5C-4053-880F-32D9865F2932.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  189.6 KB

taken today on Hines Drive as in within 50 feet of the road surface

edit: tried to rotate the images and completely failed
    Last edited by gnome; March-23-23 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Edit: tried to rotate the images

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Name:  705670EE-BA1C-4D10-9613-859B51E18B6D.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  209.3 KB

Name:  D81D9E6D-AA5C-4053-880F-32D9865F2932.jpg
Views: 463
Size:  189.6 KB

taken today on Hines Drive as in within 50 feet of the road surface

edit: tried to rotate the images and completely failed

No problem, no fail, you just felled the tree for him. The job is complete.

Belle Isle last week:

Name:  20230319_161015.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  239.2 KB
    Name:  20230319_160710.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  310.5 KB
    Name:  20230319_160537.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  314.6 KB

I searched for some trail cam footage of a beaver gnawing a tree but came up empty. Not surprising though. I guess you'd have to know an advance which tree he'd select or else get really lucky.

They're lucky no one wears hats anymore.

Great pictures Gnome and MikeM! Impressive what they can do. Thanks.

No wonder there is the phrase "Busy as a beaver".

They make it look easy.

Beaver chews through tree limb: close up footage: See how beavers do it!

{EDITOR'S NOTE: If you want to see what happened just before this video; and see how the tree ended up on its side; watch this video link: • Beaver chews down... }. I was in the right place at the right time to film this wild beaver chewing a chunk off of a fallen tree trunk. I tried to get in very close to provide a real up-close look at how they do this.

I didn't know Beavers wore gloves

Glove for scale.

They obviously couldn't drag the felled trees and I've never seen a lodge anywhere. I suspect they were and chewed the trees for food. Maybe they'll come back later for the branches.

Thought maybe they were suffering from that winter cracked skin...
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Glove for scale.

They obviously couldn't drag the felled trees and I've never seen a lodge anywhere. I suspect they were and chewed the trees for food. Maybe they'll come back later for the branches.

I’m impressed by the Beaver Clan. Those folks actually swam up the Rouge, through all the charm on Zug Island and Dearborn then kept going.

The Society Beavers all wear gloves.

Name:  beaver.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  132.6 KB
    Saw this guy motoring on Parkway and River Road in Grosse Pointe Woods last summer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast