Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 2023 State of City Address in Pictures Part 1

I found Mayor's the State of the City address mostly uplifting and inspiring. I found the presentation was polished and engaging. How about you?

I took screen snaps throughout so I'm starting a tour with this post.

Most interesting was that the event was held in the lobby of Detroit's most famous former ruin, The Michigan Central. Woulda thunk that ten years ago?

Home values and ownership?

Joe Louis Greenway? On its way.

Love those curves! Has to make those house abutting the greenway attractive and more valuable.

More to come in later posts.

Didn't see the address? Here it is.

I found both the presentation and the things they are accomplishing and have accomplished over the last 8 or so years to be stellar. The inside of the MCS is beautiful also

Losing cops and firefighters? Not so fast...

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I found both the presentation and the things they are accomplishing and have accomplished over the last 8 or so years to be stellar. The inside of the MCS is beautiful also
    I remember seeing the inside of the MSC as a young child in the 1960s... and I found the interior tilework sort of like that in a public restroom. I wonder if the flat plasterwork walls are all, or if they will stencil on a tilework or stonework look?

Left Detroit for Nevada when I retired in '84. Will be back this August for a wedding. Looking forward to seeing all these positive changes.

What about jobs and employment?

There certainly seems to be much to applaud that is stated in the address.

I would not want to take away from any of that, but also advise to take any boosterism, by any politician, irrespective of stripe, or City or level of government with a certain grain of salt.

In that vein, I though this fact-checker was interesting:

https://www.wxyz.com/news/fact-check...e-city-address

I noted the Detroit Promise Program highlighted on the State-of-the-City page.

Sounds like a great program; but the numbers the posted raise questions.

https://detroitpromise.com/

5,000 HS students benefiting since 2013 is what's stated.

But that's across 50+ eligible High Schools, so an average of ~100 per HS, divided by 10 years of the program, is 10 per HS, per year.

I frankly don't have the details on how the program has worked, or whether its been ramped up from a slow start, but I'm a tad underwhelmed by that superficial end result.

Its one of those reasons to look a bit deeper at anyone else's claims [[mine included), maybe they have merit, maybe any errors are tiny, etc, but then again, maybe not.

I found this news story on the program:

https://www.detroitnews.com/in-depth...in/4744633001/

Which in turn leads to this report:

https://www.mdrc.org/publication/motor-city-momentum

I found the article quite interesting, and it speaks to how complex it is to craft a working program.

It shows that the leading cause of Detroit Promise HS grads dropping out of college is lack of reliable transportation to/from same.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Left Detroit for Nevada when I retired in '84. Will be back this August for a wedding. Looking forward to seeing all these positive changes.
    Ray, If you have time, I'd love to buy you a beer.

Stromberg2

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    Ray, If you have time, I'd love to buy you a beer.

Stromberg2
    Mental note made. Will keep all posted.