Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Flooding

Default Flooding

Hey, is anybody seeing flooding? Some of the small streams in Ann Arbor are mighty close.

Vox Guest

Default Flooding

Quote Originally Posted by texorama View Post
    Hey, is anybody seeing flooding? Some of the small streams in Ann Arbor are mighty close.
    No not yet, although at least it has stopped raining here.

The Upper Rouge is raging behind my house but staying within its banks.

No flooding here!

Yea, flood free here as well. Although there are many spots with large puddles.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny
    Loss of jobs means people will risk their lives to take lives
    Last edited by Crumbled_pavement; March-09-09 at 02:24 PM. Reason: to test home-made signature

Maggie31 Guest

I say the effects of the flooding on 96 at Inkster. Traffic was backed up for miles on Saturday. Myself had a small pond in front yard! Yippee for Spring.

I did not see any flooding, being in Massachusetts, but I did want to post a test post!

Default comparative flooding

Quote Originally Posted by texorama View Post
    There's another flood watch for tomorrow, with more rain coming.

What is the worst episode of flooding in the history of SE Michigan? There doesn't seem to be anything in our geography that would make us immune from catastrophic floods.

"...worst episode of flooding in the history of SE Michigan?"

Uh, the creation of the Great Lakes?

After the last ice age, the Lake Erie shoreline was in Farmington. Burbs in huge an arc from there and most of Macomb county were underwater.

This is only minor flooding. The worst flooding I remember was in the mid 70's. I lived on Grosse Ile at the time. Many of the smaller attached islands were inaccessable at times due to the flooding. The roads that led to the bridges would flood. Kids would come to school on the bus and then not be able to get home.

Many of the homes on the islands in Gibralter had to be sandbagged and pumped out. There was sa great deal of levee building after that. My current home on the banks of lake Erie was surrounded by a large Levee at that time. There hasn't been any flooding here since then.

Default Flooding

What about old pics in wsu virtual motor city state showing flooded streets in detroit? Was that flooding caused by heavy rains?