Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default City sues pastor over stalled Detroit megachurch development

I have long been puzzled about what is going on with the long-unfinished Perfecting Church mega-church project on Woodward across from Palmer Park. Now the City of Detroit is too and has launched a suit against the pastor and church.

This also sets up a bout between two titans of the Detroit scene, Paster Marvin Winans, of the famed Winans gospel music family, vs. Corporation Council Conrad Mallet, former Michigan Supreme Court Justice and political bigwig.

The lawsuit alleges that Perfecting Church has not been issued a building permit since July 2015. The city conducted an inspection of the building's exterior this month and found dilapidated fencing, overgrown vegetation and burrows indicating rodents or other animals, according to the lawsuit.

The city is urging the judge to transfer the property back to the city if Winans does not resolve the cleanup and allow the city to demolish the building and sell the property, according to the lawsuit.

"It is theoretically possible that if the court finds that the building is in disrepair and agree with us that it is a nuisance, the court could order that the building be demolished," Mallett said.

Full article at the Detroit Free Press

It's about damned time they did something about this.

If the church cares about being fiscally responsible they will stabilize the area and sell it themselves but since it's "just donor money" they'll probably do nothing.

I’ve always assumed it was stalled because the “flock” had been fleeced as much as possible.

Idiots like Sam Riddle and Anthony Adams are defending Marvin Winans on this issue. Riddle was on Fox2 news and Adams talking about this on his boring radio show on 910am Superstation, misleading people. I don't hate Marvin Winans and the Winans gave us great gospel music but he has responsibility with this project. It DOES NOT TAKES 20 YEARS to completed a project!!!! Shoot, sale the whole project to Joel Osteen for all I care. People in this city will be on Dan Gilbert, Chris Ilitch's, throats if they builted a megachurch that isn't completed in over 20 years, but Marvin Winans gets a free pass???? The city is NOT in a wrong here and they gave Winans a lot of chances to do right by finishing it but he choose not to/ignoring it all together. Sorry Paster Winans, it's about time you need to be held accountable.

Sorry, I didn't follow this story. Did Reverend Kwame sell this property to Reverend Winans?

The unfinished Megachurch on the corner of Woodward and W. 7 Mile Rd. is one of Detroit's biggest eyesore ever. Whatever the Winans Family and their flock is doing is being disrespectful to Jesus Christ.

When a person loves Jesus, he will built His church, not our of brick and steel but out of people.
    Last edited by Danny; March-02-23 at 02:34 PM.

Churches now days exist mostly to enrich those who run them, in no small part by providing a tax shelter for their stash. It's high time we start treating [[and taxing them) like the businesses they are.

I had presumed they were building it over time out of tithes by parishioners [like most churches], as bank financing might be near impossible to secure.

Joel Olsteen didn't build their building, rather they leased an empty sports and concert venue built in 1975 called The Summit, which was the home of the Rockets, [later renamed The Compaq Center]. Then after 5 years of renting, and with their attendees numbering 30,000, they bought the arena.

The building originally cost $27 million to build in 1975. Equal to $108 million in2010, at which point Olsteen bought it for $7.5 million. [7 cents on the dollar].

Large churches often take decades to complete. The cathedrals in Europe often took 500 years.

Notre Dame was started in 1163, and not completed until 1345. A relatively speedy 183 years.

At least it's not still covered in Tyvec.

But seriously, some landscaping would be nice, so that it's not such an eyesore.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    It's about damned time they did something about this.
    Tear that schitt down!

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    Tear that schitt down!
    Haven't heard that for a while. A DYes classic!

Does Detroit really need another church? Especially a "mega" church. I don't know the exact number of churches, but in relation to the population of the city, the ratio is probably pretty low.

For sure there are a lot of church buildings for sale cheap in Detroit. None seem to have the seating capacity they're looking for though.

The biggest I find is about 450 parishioners, and the Tyvec Temple is being built to seat 5,000.

Do they even own enough land to park 2,500 cars?

This one seats 400 for $250k
    http://churchrealestatesales.com/vie...ng.asp?id=4151

Seats 400 for $580k
    http://churchrealestatesales.com/view-listing.asp?id=70

Seats 400-500 for $900k
    http://churchrealestatesales.com/vie...ng.asp?id=4152

Seats 300 for $1.4 million
    http://churchrealestatesales.com/vie...ng.asp?id=4192

This action smells like effective local government.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    I had presumed they were building it over time out of tithes by parishioners [like most churches], as bank financing might be near impossible to secure.

Joel Olsteen didn't build their building, rather they leased an empty sports and concert venue built in 1975 called The Summit, which was the home of the Rockets, [later renamed The Compaq Center]. Then after 5 years of renting, and with their attendees numbering 30,000, they bought the arena.

The building originally cost $27 million to build in 1975. Equal to $108 million in2010, at which point Olsteen bought it for $7.5 million. [7 cents on the dollar].

Large churches often take decades to complete. The cathedrals in Europe often took 500 years.

Notre Dame was started in 1163, and not completed until 1345. A relatively speedy 183 years.

At least it's not still covered in Tyvec.

But seriously, some landscaping would be nice, so that it's not such an eyesore.
    I'm literally lol'ing at your comparison of this crap heap to one of the European cathedrals of centuries past...but thank you for the Sunday morning chuckle.

Quote Originally Posted by THE FURY 617 View Post
    Idiots like...Anthony Adams are defending Marvin Winans on this issue.
    Can you imagine how bad it would have been if Anthony Adams had been elected mayor? Not that it was close...but this guy's level of intelligence directly supports all of the worst stereotypes about the stupidity of Detroiters, and those coming out of the Detroit Public Schools system.

I truly believe that this man is incapable of understanding why a blighted church under construction for 20 years along a major corridor in the City is a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by KnnNike View Post
    I'm literally lol'ing at your comparison of this crap heap to one of the European cathedrals of centuries past....

Yes, interesting to compare the timelines of different types of construction.

This being a large church and not a cathedral, we should expect it to take a couple decades to finish [and it's been that, and it's still not done].

They may have lost a lot of attendees during covid. They may never have the funds to finish.
    Last edited by Rocket; March-05-23 at 09:25 AM.

Pastor Winans could have paid off the rest of that church with what he spent on his wedding reception last year....
    Also there is no comparison on the building techniques used 7 centuries ago using stone, wood and marble and this tyvec and false facade eyesore. This should have been completed in a year using the materials and workforce they did. I doubt there were any skilled carpenters let alone skilled artisans who worked in marble, wood and frescos

Some of this does not make sense.

The city is urging the judge to transfer the property back to the city if Winans does not resolve the cleanup and allow the city to demolish the building and sell the property, according to the lawsuit.

The city sold the land to the church and approved zoning changes for the project in 2004, according to the lawsuit.

So in the city I am in ,when you buy property from the city,specifically auctions there is an agreement for maintaining the property,if you do not,even not mowing the grass on a vacant lot,you forgo the foreclosure procedure and the city just takes the property back.

I do not see that in play in Detroit because there is a multitude of of derelict speculator owned building.

So how does the city think the property that they sold can just revert back to them .

Also with us if you are homestead,the city can place as many fines on your home as they want,but they are paper fines because they can never take your house,not so with commercial property or investor homes.

So are they taking them to court to take the property because of accumulated fines,the statement of the property should revert back to city ownership does not make sense.

Unless the city is walking on eggshells because of optics.

Surly they would just say,there are X amount of fines on the property and unless they are paid and the property is brought into compliance we will start the foreclosure procedures.

It makes it sound like there was a fishy deal in the purchase of the property in the beginning.
    Last edited by Richard; March-05-23 at 10:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Also there is no comparison on the building techniques used 7 centuries ago...
    You're presuming though that both projects are fully funded.

But church projects don't get bank financing, nor financing from pension funds or insurance companies. Instead, they are almost always built piecemeal through donations. So they take many years, decades, or even centuries to complete. Churches from the middle ages took 200-500 years, while a well funded castle might only take 2 - 20 years, and have 3,000 men working on it continuously.

On another note, there's no upside for the City to give this project any further grace. Churches are property tax free, as are the incomes of the various pastors.

And if work has truly been at a standstill for 7 years, then yeah, it may be time to find another use for the land.

"Religion is Bunk". Apologies to Henry Ford.

I think we should all pray that it gets completed,- the cities involvement is costing money.

If a bunch of church pastors got together and put money into finishing this, the mega church might make it.

Let’s say each pastor out of 52 gets to use the church for his/her/its services, one week out of the year, they could have an IHOP* for Detroit.

*Interdenominational House of Pastors. TM

Mmmm. Slathered in maple syrup.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    If a bunch of church pastors got together and put money into finishing this, the mega church might make it.

Let’s say each pastor out of 52 gets to use the church for his/her/its services, one week out of the year, they could have an IHOP* for Detroit.

*Interdenominational House of Pastors. TM
    The way it is now you and I can identify as pastors and start a go-fund me,wanna go 1/2s ?

They got people to believe a bridge was the gateway to heaven and raised 6 - 8 billion,it’s that easy to get people to part with their money willingly.

Hold 1 sermon and we could pocket at least a billion per person,then we could quit saying it was gods will that we retire in the Bahamas.
    Last edited by Richard; March-06-23 at 07:54 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast