Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Renovations to 1133 Griswold

Came across this on the Historic District Commission. Looks like full facade restore and a rooftop addition. Unfortunately I cannot figure out how to increase my photo quota so someone else may have to attach photos, or I can go back and delete some old ones.

Renderings

Narrative

Looks like this site was identified as receiving grant funding to renovate [[Crain's Article)

Karp said in a statement to Crain's that in the early 1970s the 1133 Griswold building was stripped of its historic facade and therefore rendered the building as a non-contributing resource to the Capitol Park Historic District, meaning it wasn't eligible for state or federal historic tax credits. The Revitalization and Placemaking Program grant and tax abatements are making the redevelopment feasible, Karp said.
    Here's a letter written about the project requesting tax incentives. Looks like they are planning 27 apartments and commercial space.
    Last edited by JonWylie; February-27-23 at 01:13 PM.

Big improvement over the current façade, and I like that they're bringing it up to the height of it's neighbor as well.

It will be interesting to see if any of the original building exterior is left under that slab of granite.

That is a remarkable improvement over what is there now. That little section of street can use some life.

Send DYES Admin a request to increase your image sharing space. Worked for me.

It’s jinxed from the start,net benefit to the city abatement is $666 ….

They could have made it $665 or $667

would love to see a little streetscaping on that block too - this facade work would finish out that side of the street, leaving only the low rise between the Stott and the recently-renovated First Independence Bank that's busted. Could become a really inviting gateway into the neighborhood off of Michigan there.

Article from Crain's today, looks like I beat them to it

n all, the redevelopment would bring first- and basement-level retail, a second-floor office and 25 apartments to floors three through 11, said Karp. There would be 16 one-bedroom units, eight two-bedroom units and one three-bedroom units, with 20 percent affordable at 80 percent of the Area Median Income.
    Project financing comes both from a Commercial Rehabilitation Act, or PA 210, property tax freeze as well as $5 million in funding from a $13.74 million grant the Downtown Detroit Partnership received in September. A Detroit City Council briefing memo says the project funding sources include a $4.39 million senior-position loan from Farmers & Merchants Bank, the $5 million grant and $3.35 million in equity.
    Name:  Screenshot 2023-02-27 125504.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  71.5 KB

Wow, that's A+. Talk about a building improvement.

I don't know what the building was used for following the initial renovation, but how do you renovate a building and cover up all of its windows? I will say that the renderings for the upcoming renovations are quite nice.

This is a bit off topic but related to that part of Griswold. What is going on with the two buildings that are attached to the Stott Building? When they renovated the Stott I thought for sure that those buildings would be torn down and a parking structure, mainly for the Stott, would be put in their places. Those properties must be owned by landlords holding out for some big bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    This is a bit off topic but related to that part of Griswold. What is going on with the two buildings that are attached to the Stott Building? When they renovated the Stott I thought for sure that those buildings would be torn down and a parking structure, mainly for the Stott, would be put in their places. Those properties must be owned by landlords holding out for some big bucks.
    The developer Basco owns the bank on the corner with intent to [[eventually) develop it. The old pharmacy on Griswold [[and the connected art deco low-rise on State that's on the same lot) is owned by an LLC that shares an address with Auburn Collision Center in Pontiac.

I will be the lone dissenter and say that the rendering is about as ugly as the current condition.

But, hey, using the building is better than not using it!

My dream reno is still 7300 Woodward taking off the fake 60s crap and going back to its original design.

Bring back Griswold Sporting Goods and Greenfields!

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    The developer Basco owns the bank on the corner with intent to [[eventually) develop it. The old pharmacy on Griswold [[and the connected art deco low-rise on State that's on the same lot) is owned by an LLC that shares an address with Auburn Collision Center in Pontiac.
    Basco's plan for the bank seems to be to restore the building to its original 8 story height as a hotel, which is lookin real slick in their render, but not sure if that's still in the works seeing as the 2-story building there was just renovated and now for lease. not sure if that fuglo building in between this and the Stott are part of their plans here or if someone else is squatting on it.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    I will be the lone dissenter and say that the rendering is about as ugly as the current condition.

But, hey, using the building is better than not using it!

You may not be the only one who doesn’t care for the design but I think it’s great. The daylight rendering shows more detail on the façade than the nighttime version. I actually think this looks better than the original 1921 Kahn façade.
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; February-28-23 at 09:40 PM.

I don't like the design either, but it is better than what's there now

Well it's much better looking than the nearby residences on top of the Book Cadillac parking structure [[which I see rentals available every day for on Facebook), but it's better than an all glass facade. I like the nighttime view... it has a bit of an early 1930s Art Deco look to it.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    Big improvement over the current façade, and I like that they're bringing it up to the height of it's neighbor as well.

It will be interesting to see if any of the original building exterior is left under that slab of granite.
    If you walk up to it, you can see the original windows and dentil molding peeking out from behind the vertical metal strips. This Google Streetview even show it. There are definitely some original exterior design elements that remain [[at least for floors 2 and up).

This is great news. Capital Park could be such an amazing little district. Do not understand why the owner of the David Stott building has not activated its first floor commercial space. The Skybar back 10 years ago was such a cool place.

Quote Originally Posted by kuuma View Post
    Basco's plan for the bank seems to be to restore the building to its original 8 story height as a hotel, which is lookin real slick in their render, but not sure if that's still in the works seeing as the 2-story building there was just renovated and now for lease. not sure if that fuglo building in between this and the Stott are part of their plans here or if someone else is squatting on it.
    That new building has a Moxy Hotel written all over it and I love it. Moxy is one of the best major hotel brand boutiques I've experienced. I hope this comes to be a reality, although I agree that the recent look of renovation to the existing building makes me think this is a pipe dream. I do love the existing building itself though.

When I see construction of 1133 Griswald St. I believe it.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    If you walk up to it, you can see the original windows and dentil molding peeking out from behind the vertical metal strips. This Google Streetview even show it. There are definitely some original exterior design elements that remain [[at least for floors 2 and up).

This is great news. Capital Park could be such an amazing little district. Do not understand why the owner of the David Stott building has not activated its first floor commercial space. The Skybar back 10 years ago was such a cool place.
    Oh yeah, I'm interested to see under that marble though. In Traverse City where I grew up, we had a building downtown with a similar [[although smaller) 70's "modernization". Under the façade the original facia was still almost entirely intact!

https://www.facebook.com/DowntownTCO...KekPPVyEsGHFkl

I agree bring back Griswold , my 65 year old feet could use some new Chuck Taylors .