Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default About Our Children, 9/20/09 7pm est on MSNBC

Looking forward to this presentation. Scheduled panel looks good.

I'm surprised Doctor John McWhorter was not invited.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32676326/
    Last edited by vetalalumni; September-15-09 at 05:39 PM. Reason: edit

ccbatson Guest

MSNBC? Can we guess the agenda?

Let's try? Children are victims of poverty and we must redistribute wealth via the government to help them escape the hardships of this poverty.

Subtext? Don't pay attention to the fact that liberal government intervention is what put them in this position in the first place, and it is what is keeping them there.

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    MSNBC? Can we guess the agenda?

Let's try? Children are victims of poverty and we must redistribute wealth via the government to help them escape the hardships of this poverty.

Subtext? Don't pay attention to the fact that liberal government intervention is what put them in this position in the first place, and it is what is keeping them there.
    typically myopic, typically wrong in your "explanation" of the root of the problem. simple fact, before the "great society" programs, poverty was worse. it started getting better, then they gutted the programs. poverty did not start to increase in this country until the implementation of ronnie's voodoo. historical facts.

damn, truth really does have a liberal bias

ccbatson Guest

Rb...care to back up the claim that poverty was worse prior to big government entitlements?

Why don't YOU document your claim? See if you can do it using straight historic facts, CC?

It gets tiring providing facts to people who are both totally clueless and don't want to listen.

Anyone who isn't tired can start with the piecework of the industrial age.

The show had a few noteworthy portions. Doctor Poussaint and author Terrie Williams provided some of the best discussion points.

America today is a institutionized caste system by means of RACE, SEX AND CREED. It's easy to get out if the any individual just follow the rules and break the system.

After some few folks watched Dr. Cosby's Televised Town Hall Meeting, Cosby and friends contended that most kids are living without their fathers. Women are making babies. Abstinence is absent in their moral American familes [[especially 70% of African American females). African American males are playing with themselves! Every child in a poor home will go to bed hungry tonight. There will more domestic violence between the mother or father or the parent to the child. The U.S government will have to distrubute more welfare checks, WIC and EBT [[ food stamps) to the poor. Kids in the inner city ghettoes will be dead before they could reach 21 years old. Each child will dropout of school and join a gang, be a pimp, prostitute, drug dealer, smoking dope, drinking alcohol and carrying a gun.

Dr. Cosby had become a very good community activist even through he giving up his comedy shows long ago.

Came here for the knee-jerk "MSNBC= liberal commies!!!111!" comment. Bats never disappoints.

Vague wingnut reference to the video of the black man with the gun at the Arizona town hall, "proving" that MSNBC [[and therefore all media) is a bunch of lying liberal commies, in 3...2...1...

ccbatson Guest

Which claim Gaz?

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    Which claim Gaz?
    try the claim you made, which you can not backup with anything approaching facts, in # 2 in this thread

Quote Originally Posted by vetalalumni View Post
    I'm surprised Doctor John McWhorter was not invited.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32676326/
    Anyhow, Doctor McWhorter has written about the responsibility of self. He inserts a different lens on how determination might be viewed. In odd and even creative ways, he apologizes for prey, martyrs, and [[yes even) predators.

The show featured many quick stories and remedies with inadequate careful delineation. Doctor McWhorter might not have fit the format of the show. Maybe the show producers met their goals, but I was unfulfilled.

ccbatson Guest

The one where I clearly prefaced it as guess? Guesses are not claims.

just a nice little semantic ploy on your part to avoid the consequences of your being wrong

ccbatson Guest

Wow, you must think I am brilliant Rb....I accurately predict future comments and craft my posts with these nuances in place in order to spring them on the unsuspecting critic later.

I wouldn't mess with me if that were true.

I saw some of the show on Sunday. Vetal, did you catch the segment on single gender classrooms? I thought that was interesting. As I reflect back on my adolescent school years, I was preoccupied with those bumps that the girls in my classes were growing in there shirts. It just seemed more important to me than Algebra.

Quote Originally Posted by PCE View Post
    I saw some of the show on Sunday. Vetal, did you catch the segment on single gender classrooms? I thought that was interesting. As I reflect back on my adolescent school years, I was preoccupied with those bumps that the girls in my classes were growing in there shirts. It just seemed more important to me than Algebra.
    A hardy haha! In 7th grade my youthful libido too was piqued by distracting bumps. Good times indeed . Very natural.

Yep, saw the single gender classrooms segment. Cannot attest to the merits or effectiveness of that particular environment

ccbatson Guest

We have a teacher that assigned an extra credit assignment to the 7th graders to comment on a video she showed regarding the long debunked frog deformity boondoggle of the late nineties....my kid is going to have a blast with that one.

while they are debunking it, you should have them read some actual science, unless, of course, you want them to end up as scientifically illiterate as some randian dogmatists

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...pollution.html

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0925130649.htm

http://kie.berkeley.edu/ned/data/E01...71029-002.html

http://cfpub.epa.gov/ncer_abstracts/...t/443/report/0

http://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.jsp?cntn_id=110105

http://www.ehponline.org/qa/105-10news/

I know, you are going to pull out some crap written by Michael Fumento [[" the most interesting way to read it is as a negative example—of a kind of journalism that lowers the tone of the societal conversation about these issues. " - American Scientist review of one of his books) or another bought-and-paid for Monsanto mouthpiece

ccbatson Guest

Try a peer reviewed source..."Science"