Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default McDonald's Conner at Mack Closed...

I've been away from that area for a while and noted yesterday that McDonalds is closed. Sign removed. Done!

Service was sketchy, but with the huge Stillantis plant right there they had a somewhat steady customer base.

What was the death nail?

Probably had a hard time having their employees to come to work. The area is very seedy as well

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Probably had a hard time having their employees to come to work. The area is very seedy as well
    ^^^Yep. That's pretty much the M.O. for all Detroit restaurants.

BTW, this is right down the street from the Popeyes on TikTok that had all the roaches.

They did. I talked to the AM drive thru-cashier often. Woman in her fourties said they could not get young people to come to work regularly or put down their phone when working.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    T...Woman in her fourties said they could not get young people to come to work regularly or put down their phone when working.
    Same goes for fast food franchises in the wealthiest parts of Oakland County. It's possible that the business model is obsolete.

I definitely preferred that location over the one on Mack near Warren, across from Grosse Pointe. That one is literally the worst McDonalds on the planet.

About 25 years or so ago, I stopped into that location, with my late father [[RIP) That McDonalds was across the street, East side of Conner, back then I think. My dad was paying for our lunch and put a 20.00 bill down on the counter in front of the cash register. Some guy grabbed the twenty and ran out the door. The manager, who didn't seem shocked gave us lunch for free.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    I definitely preferred that location over the one on Mack near Warren, across from Grosse Pointe. That one is literally the worst McDonalds on the planet.
    You haven't been to the 9 Mile and Mack outlet.

Just simply lazy incompetent young people.

^ Increasingly so. I talk to clerks and store managers as I go and they tell me again and again that younger employees a. will not come to work regularly or b. are ever-clutching their phones while at work c. present with surely/ rude attitudes when they are at work! Indeed we're seeing a lowering work ethic, yet everyone wants to make $25 an hour their first job.

Add to that a general fall off in manners -- that stupid corny old-fashioned stuff [like saying Thank you] we once took for granted.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-21-23 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^ Increasingly so. I talk to clerks and store managers as I go and they tell me again and again that younger employees a. will not come to work regularly or b. are ever-clutching their phones while at work c. present with surely/ rude attitudes when they are at work! Indeed we're seeing a lowering work ethic, yet everyone wants to make $25 an hour their first job.

Add to that a general fall off in manners -- that stupid corny old-fashioned stuff [like saying Thank you] we once took for granted.
    The lower the unemployment rate the worse the quality of employee at the lowest rung service jobs as other experienced workers move on to better positions. Ironically these jobs often require employees who can work in a fast paced environment, made worse by staff shortages.

^ Indeed. Good points. I'm to the point where when receiving courteous exchanges in retail/ food service I make sure to complement and sometimes let a manager know how great the service was.

Recently I was a CVS [one of the few remaining in the city of Detroit] and I could tell the cashier was trying to conduct a mobile phone personal convo with one speaker in her ear that I could clearly see. I asked her to please 'focus' on my purchase. Which she did, grudgingly.

Blaming employees for the closure of this McDonald's and other places in the city of Detroit is a ridiculous cop out, and I'll explain why I won't let it stand.

Let's start off with the fact that doing business in Detroit is already quite expensive. Aside from permitting/licensing taking forever at city hall, the sky high property taxes and the sky high insurance owners/companies must endure, there's also the high rate of theft by customers from nearby neighborhoods that adds more expenses to their inventory/security costs.

With that being said, what most of these skeevy business owners/companies do in light of the exceptional cost of doing business in Detroit proper [[to remain profitable) is screw over their employees by skimping on their labor costs. They will refuse to pay market rate to attract/keep talent [[only offering minimim wage), they will offer very few [[if any) hours to their staff to avoid paying benefits, and they will intentionally keep their stores grossly understaffed.

Now, on top of all that, we all know the average clientale in Detroit proper can be very difficult to work with. The city has a disproportionate amount of impoverished people who have a lot of unresolved mental issues [[which they can't get much help for BTW, thanks to former Governor John Engler). They will walk around with a chip on a shoulder and a hair-triggered temper at the smallest slights. And this is in a city where law enforcement often won't respond to calls about disorderly conduct by customers in a timely manner as their resources are already stretched quite thin [[forcing the employees to have to defend themselves). Unfortunately, this is a cultural/systemic problem that can't/won't be resolved overnight or by any one person/company. And I don't blame employees who are already being screwed over by their employers for not wanting to put up with it.

If anything, what COVID his proven [[which someone implied earlier) is that a lot of businesses simply have models that can no longer operate sustainably in the city of Detroit, at least not without wholesale cultural and/or operational changes.

well, it's a prime spot for another entrepreneur to set up an independent restaurant. we'll see what happens.