Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Tim Horton's Closed - Jefferson Ave. and East Grand Blvd.

So what's the story on this closing?

OH! Not doing much business from what I have noted driving by there [last yelp review 2020]. Horrid coffee IMO no matter which local. There's a McDonalds not far. That could have had an impact.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/tim-hortons...t_by=date_desc
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-17-23 at 09:32 AM.

I am surprised it had lasted 10 years or so in that spot. I stopped eating there due to poor quality of service and he food and coffee were terrible

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    So what's the story on this closing?
    Word is the franchise owner is retiring. So I'm guessing no one else was willing to take it over.

Rumor is it will become a Dunkin Donuts. Their long-standing location at 8 mile and Gratiot has consistently done great business.
    Last edited by 313WX; February-17-23 at 12:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Word is the franchise owner is retiring. So I'm guessing no one else was willing to take it over.

Rumor is it will become a Dunkin Donuts. Their long-standing location at 8 mile and Gratiot has consistently done great business.
    The location on Woodward Ave. at Nine mile in Ferndale has been closed for over a year. Again never busy and so-so food and coffee. The building has been sitting there with it's large parking lot empty, no for sale or rent signs.

QUOTE=stasu1213;631834]...I stopped eating there due to poor quality of service and he food and coffee were terrible[/QUOTE]
    AFAIK you gotta' be a FUBAR hoser from the frozen swamps of Manitoba to appreciate Tim Horton's best quality, i.e., the coffee is hot. When you've lost your taste buds frozen to a can of Lakeport beer, hot and cold may be the only properties your senses can perceive.

[QUOTE]Horrid coffee IMO no matter which local.[QUOTE]

It seems like people either love Horton's coffee or hate it. Not much in between. Personally, I like Horton's and Dunkin the best, despite being substantially different in taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    QUOTE=stasu1213;631834]...I stopped eating there due to poor quality of service and he food and coffee were terrible
    AFAIK you gotta' be a FUBAR hoser from the frozen swamps of Manitoba to appreciate Tim Horton's best quality, i.e., the coffee is hot. When you've lost your taste buds frozen to a can of Lakeport beer, hot and cold may be the only properties your senses can perceive.[/QUOTE]

They have over 5,000 locations in 20 countries so someone besides me must like it. Of course I'm cheap so if I can get a large coffee for 2 bucks my taste buds would rather adapt than pay twice as much at Starbucks. I'm also partial since Tim Horton presented me with my first trophy at our hockey banquet before he dreamed of coffee & donuts.
    Last edited by 401don; February-17-23 at 03:10 PM.

^ Hah! I've never liked TH coffee - tried it many locals.

Stout and strong - large size and a great price surprisingly IMO is White Castles coffee!

Internet rumor on Reddit is that it will become a Dunkin' Donuts. I hope that it will be a Dunkin/Baskin Robbins combo, I was thought it would be cool to take some ice cream to Belle Isle on those hot summer days.

I think that Tim Hortons coffee is now worse than ever. They don't pour out of coffee pots anymore, now they fill your paper cup from a thermos thing. I thought at one point, many years ago their coffee was better.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^ Hah! I've never liked TH coffee - tried it many locals.

Stout and strong - large size and a great price surprisingly IMO is White Castles coffee!
    Have you had T.H. dark roast?

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    I think that Tim Hortons coffee is now worse than ever. They don't pour out of coffee pots anymore, now they fill your paper cup from a thermos thing. I thought at one point, many years ago their coffee was better.
    That started in Canada because it's so busy a pot would last about one minute so the staff was constantly making coffee rather than waiting on the line-up. I will agree the service is generally better at Canadian locations. The staff is usually a combination of seniors, students & recent immigrants. Ontario's 15.50 minimum wage probably doesn't hurt either.
    Last edited by 401don; February-17-23 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    They have over 5,000 locations in 20 countries so someone besides me must like it.
    I was only joking about the frozen Manitoba hosers.
    The best Canadian-themed movies for a rainy day at the cottage - Cottage Life

I don't think you can request dark roast at the TH's around here. I've seen it sold in bags but never tried it. It's probably pretty good.

They re-built the Timmy Ho's at 8 and Beaconsfield. Supposed to have two drive thrus.

That location was a Starsucks before Timmy, right?

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    That location was a Starsucks before Timmy, right?
    Yes.

When I would drive by in the morning on my way downtown, the drive-through line up was always backed up onto Jefferson.

I'm not a coffee connoisseur but don't like TH at the bean-purchase level. What kind are they using/ brewing?

It's always off tasting no matter which TH I've tried. Gave up.

Found the sandwiches underwhelming.

Last edited by Zacha341; February-20-23 at 03:11 PM.

I'm surprised this TH lasted this long. On one of my visits to Detroit a few years ago I visited this TH. This is what I observed while there.

1. No WiFi

2. The pastries were hard and they use jam not fruit in the fruit danishes

3. Everything was on lockdown You have to ask for

everything [[coffee, creamer, sugar, sweetener, stirrers, etc.)

4. The coffee was so bad I didn't bother to find out if they offered refills.

Maybe that's why they make it that way.

5. Five people were sleeping at tables.

6. Three people were walking about asking for money.

Last edited by Former_Detroiter; February-20-23 at 11:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Former_Detroiter View Post
    ... 2. The pastries were hard and they use jam not fruit in the fruit danishes....
    I've noticed this too. Their packaging advertises "fresh" but I've never encountered any "fresh" bread at any TH.

It's not intolerable but it left me wondering how many different definitions of "fresh" there are.

But to be fair, their donuts are fresh {YMMV}. That's where it really counts.
    Last edited by Jimaz; February-20-23 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I've noticed this too. Their packaging advertises "fresh" but I've never encountered any "fresh" bread at any TH.

It's not intolerable but it left me wondering how many different definitions of "fresh" there are.

But to be fair, their donuts are fresh {YMMV}. That's where it really counts.
    The chocolate they put on top of their Boston cream doughnuts is a funny texture and tastes weird. It's kind of gummy.

Have there been any closures at the suburban locations? They usually look pretty quiet when I drive past. In Canada they are lined up for coffee all day, which I still find weird. They have captured a huge chunk of the lunch crowd as well.

^ The one on Woodward in Ferndale closed. It was a dual ice cream place too [can't recall name]. I think it was an early COVID lock-down casualty.