Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Mat Ishbia buys NBA Phoenix Suns. Rival Dan Gilbert Abstains in Vote of Approval

Detroit has another major league sports owner as Mat Ishbia, owner of United Wholesale Mortgage [UWM] a rival company to Dan Gilberts Rocket Mortgage, has been approved to buy the NBA Phoenix Suns.

The billionaire vs. billionaire rivalry spilled over into the NBA owners vote to approve Ishbia's purchase, which was approved by a vote of 29-0 with Gilbert's Cleveland Cavaliers notably abstaining.

Cue up the soundtrack of two yowling cats about to fight.

And a few hours later he mortgaged the future for Kevin Durant.

Ishbia definitely made a splash by trading for the mercurial, but UBER-talented Kevin Durant. 4 first round picks for a

The Suns will have a loaded-top heavy starting line-up - Durant, Devin Booker, Chris Paul, and Deandre Ayton

This ends my pipe dream of the Pistons trading for Grand Rapids-native Devin Booker.

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    Ishbia definitely made a splash by trading for the mercurial, but UBER-talented Kevin Durant. 4 first round picks for a

The Suns will have a loaded-top heavy starting line-up - Durant, Devin Booker, Chris Paul, and Deandre Ayton

This ends my pipe dream of the Pistons trading for Grand Rapids-native Devin Booker.
    That never was going to happen. Phoenix gave up a lot for KD, two of their best young players in Bridges and Johnson and 4 1sts. I assume they fill the bench with buyout candidiates and vet-min players. Health is key for KD and CP3. They're all in for sure.

It's ok, the Pistons can sign Booker at the end of his contract when CP3 retires and KD wants out of Phoenix. It'll actually work perfectly, then Ishbia can write an angry comic sans letter, since he seems obsessed with Gilbert.

Since the Pistons are rebuilding they might be better to consider Grand Rapids native Kobe Bufkin who is starting to look like the genuine item at UMich.

Not everyone likes that Suns' trade.
    https://news.yahoo.com/actually-kevi...220558010.html

Quote Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
    Not everyone likes that Suns' trade.
    https://news.yahoo.com/actually-kevi...220558010.html
    Sure it may turn out to be a bad trade but the window when you have an opportunity to win a championship is small. The Suns have never won so you have to take your shot. There was outcry from Raptors fans when they traded away fan favorite Demar DeRozan for one year of Kawhi Leonard but nobody was complaining after they won the championship.