Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Make the Riverwalk #1 for a third year final 24hrs to vote

Sorry for the late notice, I posted earlier last time. It would be great to get three in a row, and a good promotion to bring people down. So, hurry and get your votes in

https://www.wxyz.com/news/local-news...-year-in-a-row

I voted! I’ll try to remember again tomorrow

Update:

Looks like we pulled it off, three years in a row
    https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...r/69918864007/

Well deserved. However, I wonder why work on the eastern end of the Riverwalk between Mt Elliott Park and Gabriel Richard Park abruptly stopped last July with only a few yards of concrete to pour down to complete the walking part of it. Others as well as myself tried getting an explanation on thr Riverfront conservancy site especially on social media but there were no responses

They need to do something about the area between Orleans and Chene. where the Riverwalk basically becomes Atwater street. Narrow that section of road as much as possible to slow traffic and add some grade separated bike lanes and better sidewalk.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    They need to do something about the area between Orleans and Chene. where the Riverwalk basically becomes Atwater street. Narrow that section of road as much as possible to slow traffic and add some grade separated bike lanes and better sidewalk.
    Agreed. If theyre going to kick you out to atwater to go around the harbor then they really need to make the sidewalk there feel like its actually part of the riverwalk instead of a dumpy detour. Widen the sidewalk where they can and do some beautification.

Now ideally they could put a pedestrian drawbridge across the harbor entrance and a boardwalk to go around the back of the amphitheater. However that just may cost a tiny bit more than the sidewalk suggestion.

When it comes to the amphitheater I believe that the long term plan is to create a walkway out into the water much like they did for the Riverfront Towers. I think it is low priority currently though with their projects connecting to Belle Isle and West Riverfront Park. It should be noted that Bedrock is doing a lot to make the area along Atwater more pedestrian friendly between adding art work as well as new green space in the Stroh's parking lot along the river there.

The developing of the Riverwalk was moving at od much faster pace and opened in phases under the leadership of Faye Nelson during the period from 2006 to 2013. She was replaced and afterwards the development started moving slowly. Instead of completing and opening each section by phases construction had halted for a year or two at a time. The boardwalk behind the Riverfront Towers was completed in 2020 but still fenced off from use three years later. The section between Mt Elliott Park and Gabriel Richard Park was almost close to completion last July but work on the remains few feet abruptly halt with no explanation from the Riverfront conservancy. This Riverfront development could had been completed a few year back if it wasn't for the unexplained interruption that halted the process. Let's hope that Bedrock will influence Riverfront conservancy including the one member of council who sits on it's committee to finish the whole project faster