Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default State Police installing license plate readers along metro Detroit freeways

They say it is for "serious crime" only, not speeding, etc. and no face recognition, but how easy is it to flip the switch on that? So? What do you think?

State police say the technology would only be used for serious and violent crimes and could quadruple the chances of making an arrest.

These license plate readers will simply capture an image of a license plate and it will be stored in a database for only 30 days. So, if a serious or violent crime happens on the freeway and they have a description of the vehicle, they'll be able to track down a potential suspect.
    “It's modern policing. And technology is the wave of the future for everything," Michigan State Police Lieutenant Michael Shaw said.

With dozens of freeway shootings happening every year on metro Detroit freeways, Michigan State Police say they hope this technology will give them an advantage by adding extra eyes on the roads.

“They don't detect speed. There’s no facial recognition. It doesn't take a picture of anybody in the car. It takes a picture of the back of the car and the license plate," Shaw said.

https://www.wxyz.com/news/michigan-state-police-installing-license-plate-readers-along-metro-detroit-freeways

I don't see a big problem with this. But police need to start enforcing the rules about visible license plates more consistently or it won't be so useful.

Obviously it would be easy for the to expand the usage of a license plate reader to a wider sense of circumstances, but it would not be easy to expand it to something like facial recognition--hard to recognize faces from behind. In the long run though, I have to think things are going to move in that direction--the police [[and not just in Detroit or Michigan) are extremely bad at solving crimes and they need all the help they can get.

City of Detroit already has them on some streets. With the nearly daily shootings on the expressways, many seeming to be random, I'm so for it. Of course, we hope the perps aren't using stolen plates.

I doubt the privacy objection carries much weight on the public freeway.

The Big Brother specter is there. It would be nice to put a date on how long they're expected to be in place but the installation looks permanent. I could see a lawsuit coming.

If this puts an end to the freeway shootings, can we expect the cameras to be taken down {he asked rhetorically}?

Alternatively, if this doesn't put an end to the freeway shootings, can we expect the cameras to be taken down {he asked rhetorically}?
    Last edited by Jimaz; February-05-23 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    City of Detroit already has them on some streets. With the nearly daily shootings on the expressways, many seeming to be random, I'm so for it. Of course, we hope the perps aren't using stolen plates.
    About a third of riders I see on a daily basis have no plate at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sehv313 View Post
    About a third of riders I see on a daily basis have no plate at all.
    Well, I only do I-94 and I-696, and only a few days a week. I see a car without a plate about once every four to six months - and I'm not including paper plates. More often, I see faded or corroded plates that are partially or totally unreadable, or plates placed in a window.

I wonder if they are good enough to read a plate of a car going 110 mph, which I see way more often than a car without a plate?

The feds just broke a human trafficking ring using plate readers on E Jefferson.

Why make such a point of cameras not being used for traffic violations?

Enforcing traffic laws with cameras is smart and would vastly increase compliance, thereby making the road safer for everyone.

Not to mention it would avoid dangerous police stops on the side of the road. Cops should be on the beat, not waiting on the side of the road to issue tickets like some glorified hall monitor.

Don't like it at all. Slippery slope.

Sorry, I'm all for law and order and do not like anarchy, but I'm am not a 100% fan of law enforcement.

UK has them on the freeways already,they even send you tickets in the mail and in the future have the ability to remotely disable your vehicle,speeding,not using turn signals in lane changes,no insurance etc.

But if people are driving on suspended license,no insurance etc,they are not going to care about receiving a citation in the mail.

Seems like an unreasonable search to me. I'm opposed.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post

I think cameras are great. Breaking the law is breaking the law. Running red lights and speeding, especially in certain areas like school zones and busy pedestrian intersections is dangerous. Are you opposed to all the cameras in downtown Detroit? They have prevented or caught people breaking windows, assaulting people, etc. I don't see the difference where they are located.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post

In what sense is taking a picture of someone's car on a public highway a search? And if it were a search, why would it be unreasonable?

Steve touches on this and related subjects.

City Installs Traffic Cameras That Issue NOISE Tickets
    It is happening in NYC. https://www.lehtoslaw.com

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I think cameras are great. Breaking the law is breaking the law. Running red lights and speeding, especially in certain areas like school zones and busy pedestrian intersections is dangerous. Are you opposed to all the cameras in downtown Detroit? They have prevented or caught people breaking windows, assaulting people, etc. I don't see the difference where they are located.
    Cameras do not prevent crime,they are a tool used after it has already been committed,they do not take your picture and throw the image away,it goes into a data base.

There are no school zones on the freeway,why would they need plate readers? If somebody is a danger to the public and on the freeway it would be a little late to apprehend them after the fact,so because the average person broke the speed limit in the freeway let’s nail those lawbreakers,they need to be in jail.

Where I am at,drive the speed limit on the freeway and you are a danger to the public no different then camping out in the left passing lane.

The U.S. is different then places like Canada,we like our personal freedoms and we prefer not to have every aspect of it put on a hard drive by a government that will find another use for it in the future,outside of the intended use.

People can say it is a deterrence,but that will only work on those who are squeaky clean with the law,they are the ones that will be caught up in it and not the people that you are actually targeting.

this will be the next step

https://m.youtube.com/shorts/qBcebV9qpEk

They use plate readers at the jails and traffic court.

Judge - driving on suspension,did you drive here ?

Suspect - No your honor

Judge - are you sure about that ?
    Last edited by Richard; February-05-23 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Steve touches on this and related subjects.

City Installs Traffic Cameras That Issue NOISE Tickets
    Remember the movie about the cop that comes back in the future,the machines that issue demerits for swearing in public? China already has that,and it goes against your social credit score that is used to get a job,buy a house,get married,even rent an apartment.

Some people want that for this country.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Cameras do not prevent crime,they are a tool used after it has already been committed,they do not take your picture and throw the image away,it goes into a data base.

There are no school zones on the freeway,why would they need plate readers? If somebody is a danger to the public and on the freeway it would be a little late to apprehend them after the fact,so because the average person broke the speed limit in the freeway let’s nail those lawbreakers,they need to be in jail.

Where I am at,drive the speed limit on the freeway and you are a danger to the public no different then camping out in the left passing lane.

The U.S. is different then places like Canada,we like our personal freedoms and we prefer not to have every aspect of it put on a hard drive by a government that will find another use for it in the future,outside of the intended use.

People can say it is a deterrence,but that will only work on those who are squeaky clean with the law,they are the ones that will be caught up in it and not the people that you are actually targeting.

this will be the next step

https://m.youtube.com/shorts/qBcebV9qpEk

They use plate readers at the jails and traffic court.

Judge - driving on suspension,did you drive here ?

Suspect - No your honor

Judge - are you sure about that ?
    As usual, I meant to direct my discussion to everyone except you.

Quote Originally Posted by richard View Post
    cameras do not prevent crime,they are a tool used after it has already been committed,they do not take your picture and throw the image away,it goes into a data base.
    tldr

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    In what sense is taking a picture of someone's car on a public highway a search? And if it were a search, why would it be unreasonable?

It isn't a search, and it's not unreasonable in and of itself.

But what happens next is them saving the data of where you were and when, tracking your movements, building patterns, etc.

Then things get scary from there. And that IS what will happen next. Not 30 years later, more like 2.

Just like they say Alexa isn't recording everything you say, yet they used an Alexa's recording of everything some guy said 5 whatever years ago inside their own home to prosecute a felony.

This stuff never goes the other direction. The noose only tightens.

One saving grace is it IS illegal for the police to issue tickets this way in Michigan. The MI. constitution says "An officer must witness..."

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    As usual, I meant to direct my discussion to everyone except you.
    Does not matter,you posted in a public forum,kinda stands to reason others will respond. Tough concept to understand I guess.

Of course you approve of using anything possible against those who you deem lawbreakers and any means necessary,you live in Canada,we live in the U.S. and do not do willingly give up our rights,even the criminals have rights.Next you guys will deem jaywalkers as Nazis,good for 20 years in the gulag.
    Last edited by Richard; February-05-23 at 11:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    It isn't a search, and it's not unreasonable in and of itself.

But what happens next is them saving the data of where you were and when, tracking your movements, building patterns, etc.

Then things get scary from there. And that IS what will happen next. Not 30 years later, more like 2.

Just like they say Alexa isn't recording everything you say, yet they used an Alexa's recording of everything some guy said 5 whatever years ago inside their own home to prosecute a felony.

This stuff never goes the other direction. The noose only tightens.

One saving grace is it IS illegal for the police to issue tickets this way in Michigan. The MI. constitution says "An officer must witness..."
    Same law in Fla with red light cameras,but it is an officer basically rubber stamping the tickets.

I was red light camera ticket for left turn on the red,blurry picture was their evidence,dash cam showed I had the green arrow.

$150 if you pay it without contesting,$250 if you contest and lose,do not pay and license is automatically suspended,it’s private company using the police as their collection agency.

Good thing they are only located in the hood,stay out of the hood and you can run red lights at will,which is what happens anyways.

I do genealogy. My son was trying to talk me into taking a DNA test. I said as curious as I was, I wouldn't because it might make me responsible for arresting a relative. He came back at me telling me that his girlfriend and he had already taken a DNA test so it was too late for me. He was right. It was too late so I took a DNA test to satisfy my curiosity.

Every once in a while I read that someone was arrested based on a DNA test one of their relatives, maybe a second cousin, took. Who would ever guess when they took an Ancestry.com test to find out who their ancestors are that it would lead to the arrest of one of their relatives?

I suspect that the applications of license reading technology will similarly be irresistible to law enforcement and judges who will overrule whatever promises were made when the technology was first touted. The Stasi could only have dreamed of such technology.

No-one on this thread, so far, has said that if you didn't do something wrong then you have nothing to fear. Every police state makes that claim. One problem is that we don't know what will be illegal in the future.

Facial recognition and other technologies are already probably here that could read cards in your wallet as you walk by. It will help get the bad guys but how would or does China use these technologies for starters?

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    but how would or does China use these technologies for starters?
    It is beyond scary there.

Smartphones have been turned into passports that you must have to buy food, or even leave your apartment.

They also have a social credit system. Say something the gov't doesn't like? They shut you down and you starve.

They don't like something going on in one area? They turn your area's heath status to red, and you're not allowed to leave your appt building, even for food.

The apps and the moron children using them for payments [think QR codes] have made it possible for them to practically eliminate cash. So now the gov't can starve to death anyone that doesn't agree with them, simply by making their QR code not work in their app.

This isn't some future dystopian movie, this is reality, like 4 years AGO. Paying with an app is the equivalent of running INTO the slaughter house. Don't do it.

There is a large investment brokerage house where I am at with 22,000 employees,they implemented a embedded chip program,goes under your skin and you use it to excess the building and even purchase items from the lunch room vending machines.

Just swipe your wrist across the reader,they did not say exact numbers of how many volunteered but claimed it was a majority and those interviewed said they loved it because it was so convenient.

Talk about having the tracking ability,that takes it to whole new levels.

Michigan has avoided using cameras because of our rights under the Mich
    constitution. We have the right to face our accuser and cross examination.
    Unless they amend this dispute is available.
    [[1) a face-to-face-meeting of the defendant and the witnesses against him at trial; [[2) the witnesses should be competent to testify and their testimony is to be given under oath or affirmation, thereby impressing upon them the seriousness of the matter; [[3) the witnesses are subject
    to cross-examination; and [[4) the trier of fact is afforded the opportunity to observe the witnesses’ demeanor. [ Jemison , unpub. op. at 5, citing Pesquera , 244 Mich. App. at 309, 625 N.W.2d 407, which in turn cited Craig , 497 U.S. at 846, 851, 110 S.Ct. 3157.]
    Last edited by Wheels; February-07-23 at 11:26 AM.

I say bring on the cameras. The social contract of driving has been broken. I'm really tired of going the speed limit and being used as a pylon in somebody's personal stock race on the freeway. When people prove they can no longer handle the responsibility and endanger others, and when extra State Police patrols can't address the problem, it's time to take further steps. You might think what you're experiencing on local Detroit freeways is some kind of new Norm, but it's not. The irresponsible garbage you experience is worse here than any city in the U.S. Don't believe that? Ask people who come here from out of town. They're shocked at what they see and experience on our roads. When you're using your vehicle as a weapon to intimidate others, it's time to take some action. It's no different than pointing a gun at someone, and there is a good chance they're carrying one of those illegally too. 18 States have banned the use of such cameras, which means 32 allow them. From what I've experienced lately on the road, we should now be one of them. JMO

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast